Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2.32.100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes you believe the fwd are now mapping different angles as they raise up with latest update?
I have a shelf in my garage that is in a position that was only in view of the sensors for a brief moment as the doors opened, it never affected the way the door would open and it would continue to maximum height and come within an inch of the shelf.

As of the last update, sensors detect the shelf from much further and now partially open from the same parking distance.

Seems like the doors are reading obstacles that it could potentially collide with while the door is on its way up and sensors are at different angles.

I will try to post pictures before and after.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: highedu
Last month I was having some issues with the FwDs detecting phantom obstacles. The car was in the service center to get the performance pedals put on and I asked them to check on the doors. They were able to duplicate the problem and rerouted the wiring harness on the door that was causing the problem and all was well for about two weeks.

Then it started happening again with the left FwD stopping short almost 100% of the time and the right one started exhibiting the same behavior. I scheduled an appointment for next week to have them look at the issue again. Then I received the new software update. Since then the doors have worked flawlessly through approximately 30 attempts. Hopefully that has permanently fixed the problem.

This is how fwd opened before the update. Shelf was far enough not to be detected while opening fully.
image.jpeg

This is how it opens after the update. Obstacle is in the same position, door sensors are "seeing" it on the way up

image.jpeg

Although, after pressing and holding the onscreen button to override, I'm not getting the option to always open fully in this location.

Came across this video (NOT MINE):
The reason why some of you no longer have door trouble...disappointed that a critical safety feature has been removed

This guy is running 2.34.100, so if you are afraid of losing this particular sensor functionality then may want to avoid any upgrades that pop up here over next few days - until reports of a newer fixed version comes out...

I'm beginning to lose respect for that guy. Yes, go ahead and report on the change of a safety feature, but let's dispense with all that extra "subjective", false commentary about "Tesla can't figure out how to make it work", "This is unbelievable that this did this", "They've been getting a lots of complaints, lots", "covering up sh#t that doesn't work", etc. Also, the cucumber slicing is not a scientific experiment that proves that these doors are dangerous. They did stop with plenty of space. He is propagating fear.

He is over-sensualizing this recent change for YouTube views. I have every confidence that Tesla can figure this out. I'm sure they temporarily disabled it because it was causing more issues than it was solving and that they are currently re-writing their algorithms and testing them before releasing them in a future update.

They did exactly the same thing many times. For example, they temporarily removed the ability to lower the suspension when a number of vehicles struck road debris and punctured the battery. They eventually put in strike plates and new software configuration for auto-raising/lowering the suspension. They also temporarily added the fwd "umbrella" mode before rewriting the software to better use the sensors. They even added a dynamic, automated trunk raising limiter by using existing sensors.

Tesla is constantly modifying and improving the vehicle dynamics, and in the end they always get it right. I recommend "disliking" this video on the basis that he is interjecting false statements about what and why Tesla is making these changes and unnecessarily promoting fear.

I am sure this is just a temporally until Tesla figure things out. Personally, I am happy with the temporarily fix. After saying all that, it might be a bad idea on Tesla part to disable those sensors. It only takes a few secs to chop a finger off. Tesla does not need any bad publicity right now.

I am sure this is just a temporally until Tesla figure things out. Personally, I am happy with the temporarily fix. After saying all that, it might be a bad idea on Tesla part to disable those sensors. It only takes a few secs to chop a finger off. Tesla does not need any bad publicity right now.
There is no indication that the doors with "chop off a finger". This is exactly why that YouTube video is dangerous - it is promoting fear, without any grounds. That stunt does not prove that the doors are unsafe or less safe than any existing traditional door.

--update--
I just tried to stick a twig in the door's opening and closed the fwd. It surprisingly did chop the twig in half, but again, this is not a scientific experiment. Fingers/hands are completely different since the are prone to stretch, bend and deform unlike cucumbers and twigs. As a kid I've had my fingers/hand stuck in a completely closed door and it didn't even require a visit to the hospital.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to lose respect for that guy. Yes, go ahead and report on the change of a safety feature, but let's dispense with all that extra "subjective", false commentary about "Tesla can't figure out how to make it work", "This is unbelievable that this did this", "They've been getting a lots of complaints, lots", "covering up sh#t that doesn't work", etc. Also, the cucumber slicing is not a scientific experiment that proves that these doors are dangerous. They did stop with plenty of space. He is propagating fear.

He is over-sensualizing this recent change for YouTube views. I have every confidence that Tesla can figure this out. I'm sure they temporarily disabled it because it was causing more issues than it was solving and that they are currently re-writing their algorithms and testing them before releasing them in a future update.

They did exactly the same thing many times. For example, they temporarily removed the ability to lower the suspension when a number of vehicles struck road debris and punctured the battery. They eventually put in strike plates and new software configuration for auto-raising/lowering the suspension. They also temporarily added the fwd "umbrella" mode before rewriting the software to better use the sensors. They even added a dynamic, automated trunk raising limiter by using existing sensors.

Tesla is constantly modifying and improving the vehicle dynamics, and in the end they always get it right. I recommend "disliking" this video on the basis that he is interjecting false statements about what and why Tesla is making these changes and unnecessarily promoting fear.

Post this (above) as a comment on that video, I doubt that guy is even on the forum.

First test a finger and then we will talk... :)

Post this (above) as a comment on that video, I doubt that guy is even on the forum.

First test a finger and then we will talk... :)
Looks dangerous. You go first. ;)
If we only knew someone at TMC that worked in a morgue who could facilitate a test like this! Too bad MythBusters is off the air.
But thanks. I've added the above commentary to the comments section, and I "dis-liked" that guy's video.

Looks dangerous. You go first. ;)
If we only knew someone at TMC that worked in a morgue who could facilitate a test like this! Too bad MythBusters is off the air.
But thanks. I've added the above commentary to the comments section, and I "dis-liked" that guy's video.

What is the most equivalent thing to a human hand? Will a fake human hand work?

What is the most equivalent thing to a human hand? Will a fake human hand work?
I was hoping for a real human hand from a cadaver. But the MythBusters made fake limbs by using that silicon jelly over-top of synthetic or real bones (typically from pigs or chickens). I predict that by the time someone gets around to making an appropriate experiment, Tesla will have released a new software update with better sensor utilization making this whole thing an insignificant blip in history.

If they get wind of this video, I'm sure that will make them work more quickly.

I was hoping for a real human hand from a cadaver. But the MythBusters made fake limbs by using that silicon jelly over-top of synthetic or real bones (typically from pigs or chickens). I predict that by the time someone gets around to making an appropriate experiment, Tesla will have released a new software update with better sensor utilization making this whole thing an insignificant blip in history.

If they get wind of this video, I'm sure that will make them work more quickly.
If they get wind of this video expect a software update tonight!:eek:

The good news is, this identified where the "obstacle detected" trigger was coming from for a lot of us.

There is no indication that the doors with "chop off a finger". This is exactly why that YouTube video is dangerous - it is promoting fear, without any grounds. That stunt does not prove that the doors are unsafe or less safe than any existing traditional door.

--update--
I just tried to stick a twig in the door's opening and closed the fwd. It surprisingly did chop the twig in half, but again, this is not a scientific experiment. Fingers/hands are completely different since the are prone to stretch, bend and deform unlike cucumbers and twigs. As a kid I've had my fingers/hand stuck in a completely closed door and it didn't even require a visit to the hospital.
Lol... Anyone care to test using your fingers? Seriously, it probably won't cut your fingers off. But I guarantee you, you will at least be in a cast for a while.