Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, is there really no flag at the beginning now (at least on this release)? That was always the unobtrusive 'warning' before the screaming white ring and then the beeping. I always thought the popup/flag was useless because unless you were actually looking at the IC, what's the point. Perhaps Tesla finally woke up to this!

I still think this is a beta that escaped... :D 8 and 22 copies (ev-fw and TeslaFi) doesn't a real release make. But I guess we'll know by over the weekend.....

(TeslaFi is a bit messed up by that one car in Germany with the one corrupted release number....)

I called local SC and had them pushed it to both of my cars, is not a beta release that escaped :)

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Something I'm curious about is where things stand on the "radar vs. vision" scale. In other words, if somebody were to do the "cover up the front cameras with tape" trick again (which breaks AutoPilot), would any vehicles appear ahead or in adjacent lanes? Is it solely relying on vision now? Is it blending / fusing radar + vision?

Reactions: David29
Something I'm curious about is where things stand on the "radar vs. vision" scale. In other words, if somebody were to do the "cover up the front cameras with tape" trick again (which breaks AutoPilot), would any vehicles appear ahead or in adjacent lanes? Is it solely relying on vision now? Is it blending / fusing radar + vision?

It is certainly blending vision with radar. You can tell if your radar is conked out, AP stops working but the black lines do appear (indicating vision can identify the lane lines just fine without radar which is obviously how that part of AP works).

Identifying cars also happens with vision -- when I park my car (but before I put it in park), other parked cars appear in the IC as cars. Radar cannot really do this so it must be vision alone. However, when driving, radar is essential to verifying what is what and, per v8.0, it is still the primary sensor.

I got 21.9 today in my X 100D July 2017 AP2. A couple of things that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread yet. I still get the blue letter pop up warning a few seconds before the white bar flashing at the top.

I also saw something I haven't seen before. I was at a dead stop in traffic for an unknown amount of time, but not longer than a minute or 2, when traffic started moving again a text box popped up from the bottom that said I needed to tap the accelerator to continue driving. Traffic came to a dead stop a few more times and it didn't appear again.

I also saw something I haven't seen before. I was at a dead stop in traffic for an unknown amount of time, but not longer than a minute or 2, when traffic started moving again a text box popped up from the bottom that said I needed to tap the accelerator to continue driving. Traffic came to a dead stop a few more times and it didn't appear again.
This has been there quite a while. Usually it's when something triggers the proximity sensors in front of your car - usually a person walking across the street or so. Often it goes away when the person passes your car but for some reason it seems inconsistent about when it goes away and when it stays there. It's usually accompanied by the HOLD message.

This has been there quite a while. Usually it's when something triggers the proximity sensors in front of your car - usually a person walking across the street or so. Often it goes away when the person passes your car but for some reason it seems inconsistent about when it goes away and when it stays there. It's usually accompanied by the HOLD message.

Yeah, I've never understood the point of the HOLD. I get it fairly often.

Reactions: saniflash
It might still give 3 seconds of the "Hold steering wheel" message before it starts flashing. I never notice that message since it is on the bottom. I do see the screen flash from time to time but have never gotten an audio alert in over 12000 miles of AP driving.
Nope. I watched closely.

Hold steering wheel and white flashing bar appear at the exact same time.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Just got it...
478991DB-7E0F-4985-83F4-688660CDF149.jpeg

I'm not a "special beta participant." Just got the update over the air. I just went out for a drive and couldn't get the highway exit slowdown to work. But I did take a video of the adjacent lane stuff if people are interested:
It's interesting to watch how a cars shown close to or even over the lane on the left, just disappear when you pass them, side warning from ultrasonics. Great demo why Tesla no longer lists "Blind Spot Warning" as one of the car's features (was there for AP1, works about as well as shown in this video).

Yeah, I know it’s not really beta now, too many out there. I think Elon is just messing with us. Give them an odd one so they will never know what the numbers mean. :D

And TeslaFi just got retriggered because of that dang car in Germany. New email about 2018.21.9.

Now the question is do we all get this or does it peter out like the 2018.20 releases did?

Hm, the horrible X-crash on 101 only needed 7 seconds from tracking a car to deviate and crash.
To be honest, I wonder a lot about these statistics. I've been holding the wheel with both hands in autosteer mode and gotten the warning to hold the steering wheel regularly when driving in a straight line. If the statistics were done on my car while I was driving it, it would say I only touched the steering wheel every 42 seconds which is the average interval between each nag in a straight line, even though I've been clearly holding the steering wheel at all times - there have been many times I've taken over when I've been unhappy with what autosteer is doing, even though I've been holding it with a touch that wouldn't register. I understand many people don't trigger a nag while holding the steering wheel presumably because they are regularly applying torque in other directions but many of us don't and get nagged regardless. If I were in an accident the data would suggest "he wasn't holding the steering wheel according to the instructions so he's at fault". Instead people are suggesting taping an orange to the steering wheel as a workaround...

Yeah, I've never understood the point of the HOLD. I get it fairly often.

The HOLD is the evolution of the "Hill Hold" feature of the "older" Tesla's that introduced the electronic e-brake over the previous mechanical e-brake. The intent was to allow the driver to engage the e-brake when the car is on an incline/decline to prevent rollback. Tesla updated the cars to allow it to automatically engage the e-brake when the car is on incline/decline so re-purposed the feature to be a HOLD that can be engaged when you press the brake slightly beyond "full stop", and allow you to rest your foot and not have to hold the brake down....its also used for launching!

Reactions: ahkahn
Is it possible that submitting a bug report could actually precipitate a software update. It might be a coincidence, but I got an odd error message “Park Assist unavailable” on my IC while parked.
I used the “Bug Report” voice command at approximately 2:47PM today while the error was still being displayed on the IC.
I got a software update notification within 30 minutes.
C124F33E-0F3C-4FEA-B8C9-0E3859BF1C3E.jpeg

Reactions: Joe F