Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, after updating to this version, I took my car (X75D-AP2) for a test drive on a highway. Drove it for about an hour on AP. I got zero nag. But my hand was always on the wheel. Previously, I have received the visual alerts while holding the wheel, not this time. I’m guessing they have increased the sensitivity.

Just wondering why my experience is so different. However, it’s a short drive, on a clear sky and very smooth highway.
It would depend how you are holding it. If you are restricting motion slightly it can tell you are there and won’t nag. Perhaps now it’s sensitive enough to feel your ‘torque restriction’.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximus-MX
First test drive this morning. Driving in the left lane of a divided road with occasional cross streets AP would start to swerve toward the median at the far end of an intersection; then it would correct itself and immediately swerve back where it belonged (just as I was about to take over). This happened several times (but not always). I've never seen it do this before and I travel this same stretch of road daily. Scary behavior.

First test drive this morning. Driving in the left lane of a divided road with occasional cross streets AP would start to swerve toward the median at the far end of an intersection; then it would correct itself and immediately swerve back where it belonged (just as I was about to take over). This happened several times (but not always). I've never seen it do this before and I travel this same stretch of road daily. Scary behavior.
First drive for me today on the 21.9 and I can agree it’s booody lethal. I have never seen such a violent movement on the steering wheel. It’s like the passenger has just grabbed it and yanked it then let go. It has made it so scary on A roads (uk) it’s unusable.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Had a very similar experience today with a split in the road. Four lanes split in a Y, two on each side. I was in the third lane from the left. The car stayed in my lane but as we got closer to the split, it took the left instead of staying in the right, and then changed back.. Scary snap of the steering wheel! For me, AP is not usable with this release unless in a center lane with well defined stripes.

21.9 pushed to both out AP1 and AP2 cars Friday night. First time since Dec 2016 that both cars got an update on the same day. Could be a coincidence or something important to push to all cars, like increased attention enforcement. Rarely use AP (only to check out progress really, waiting for FSD) so no idea about the frequency of nags.
Not only it pushed to APE1 and APE2 cars, MCU2 cars have the same update as well

Don’t know what everyone here is talking about. Other than the more frequent nags, this was a HUGE improvement in autopilot! Those of you trying it on the highway may think this update didn’t change much but take it on a twisty turny country road and you will be surprised! It Now takes sharp, almost 90 degree turns (as long as it’s set to a reasonable speed such as the speed limit) . It even brakes if needed through the sharp bends. I still keep my hands on the wheel and my foot ready on the brake as I don’t trust it fully, but this is a BIG update in my opinion. Even on the not so sharp turns everything feels much more silky smooth!

Experienced the snap, though I would say more of a sudden twitch.... it corrects and was imperceptible to passengers but I noticed it. Made me more vigilant passing Parking lots, I think this update will be good once calibrated

• Informative
Reactions: Compton
Updated this morning, autopilot does seem 'busier' now ;)

Image_d86acd8.jpg

Mild complaint: chimes when activating or deactivating Autosteer are too loud - disturbs the passengers.
Tesla: please change from chimes to steering wheel jiggle. Passengers do not need to know of the change.
+1.

I really wish I could use Autosteer on trips when I have passengers asleep in the car, but I have learned never to activate it in those circumstances as the loud chimes always wake them up. It's livable as long as TACC can be turned on and off without making noise.

Reactions: Sambas
+1.

I really wish I could use Autosteer on trips when I have passengers asleep in the car, but I have learned never to activate it in those circumstances as the loud chimes always wake them up. It's livable as long as TACC can be turned on and off without making noise.

+1000

I'd prefer a wheel jiggle (similar to the lane departure warning), and only then an audible alert. What I really think is silly is the disengagement chime when I manually disengage. I'm obviously paying attention because I disengaged AP2.

I also wish we could "suggest" a position in the lane with AP2, rather than the AI just centering blindly. For rural roads, this would allow moving over to avoid oncoming hazards. For interstates with concrete dividers, this would give a lot of peace of mind and allow me to engage AP in a few places where I'm scared it will scrape the divider because it runs much closer to it than a human would.

Last, I can't wait to get to play with it. I got the update just this morning, as I was leaving (in another car) for the airport for a week away on business.

Reactions: hiroshiy and Sambas
Looking bad. Nothing new on the “what’s new” page, and NO mention of slowing down for exits or interchanges. I’m on AP1. I fear that with the reported increase nags, I’ve just downloaded a downgrade without any new functionality.
Did you install it? I'm on AP1 and wondering what to do, my heated steering wheel is still broken and wondering if this release fixes that

Same here. I have my notifications as persistent from the telsa app and I can't remember the last time I got an update notification. Allways find it when I get in the car.

I'm deducing that by "persistent" you mean "on," but are all notifications "on?" Specifically, have you checked Settings to make sure that, under "Notifications," "Software Updates" is checked?
We all have the same phone App, and mine always gives me a notification when a software update is available. However, on one occasion, probably after a Tesla App update, some of my notifications disappeared because in the app's settings those notifications had been unchecked.

I'm deducing that by "persistent" you mean "on," but are all notifications "on?" Specifically, have you checked Settings to make sure that, under "Notifications," "Software Updates" is checked?
We all have the same phone App, and mine always gives me a notification when a software update is available. However, on one occasion, probably after a Tesla App update, some of my notifications disappeared because in the app's settings those notifications had been unchecked.
Persistent as in selected on iPhone notifications as persistent instead of Temporary.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva