Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering regen has been reduced in every update since 2013, I'm surprised there is any regen left at all!

For the promise of OTA updates continuously making the car "better", I've got to say they make it worse in at least as many cases. This is a good example of the general dulling of the edges I feel like every update has brought.

* Regen is far weaker than when the car was new.
* Supercharging taper far more aggressive, leading to longer charging times.
* Autopilot becomes a victim of the deep nanny state
* Even the stereo doesn't sound as good as it used to

It's a shame.

Do you have a MCU2 car? (Built after March.) If so, the MCU2 cars only go to 8db, and don't have the Dolby audio option. (MCU2 has an "Immersive sound" option instead of Dolby.)

I suppose that explains it … Yes, my vehicle is MCU2 and doesn't have Dolby option and instead has Immersive Sound setting. I've only had the vehicle for about 6 weeks and part of that time it was in the SC so I haven't been able to compare from the several FW drops received since I took delivery. All in all, I'm a little underwhelmed by the premium audio package … even with the bass at max, it lacks punch.

We can also count on the lawyers to get us what we bought if Tesla fails to deliver on the FSD dream bought by many!
Too soon for that class action, however I think an EAP CA is loooooong overdue and no $288 doesn't cover it, because
they still have not delivered 1 EAP feature 1.5 years later!

Not picking on @BigD0g, but I keep seeing comments suggesting that a class action is possible if Tesla fails to deliver on EAP/FSD. Tesla's standard Terms and Conditions signed before you take delivery of your vehicle provides:

"The arbitrator may only resolve disputes between you and Tesla on an individual basis. The arbitrator cannot award relief for anyone who is not a party and may not consolidate claims. In other words, you and Tesla may bring claims against the other only in your or its individual capacity and not as a plaintiff or class member in any class or representative action."

Unless most people didn't have this provision in their Terms and Conditions or chose to opt-out of arbitration, there will be no class action against Tesla. There is a long line of SCOTUS opinions confirming this conclusion. Rather, each consumer would have to bring an individual claim in arbitration, which most likely do little to change how Tesla operates.

I have a short commute but didn't notice any change in nags so far.

Did anyone notice a change in braking and acceleration? My car seemed to acceleration a lot faster and brake a lot harder than necessary.

Could it be possible we all got the same version but they are testing various changes with different drivers? Maybe some get more nags, some get fewer, some get faster braking and acceleration?

Now I want this update after all...
Ok. I figured out what it was doing today. As I was driving on the highway at 70 mph, AP thought I was in the exit lane and quickly lowered my TACC speed to 55 mph. Then it realized I was not in the exit lane and it instantly increased the TACC speed to 65 mph, quickly accelerating the car. I then had to manually raise it back to 70 mph to resume my previously set speed.

A few minutes later, it gradually lowered my speed from 70 mph to 30 mph as I took the exit ramp. That part was ok but then as the road straighted it bumped the TACC speed back up to 45 mph. 30 mph was a bit on the slow end and 45 mph was about right but it was like it floored it to get up to that set speed in such a short distance.

Later as I turned into my street I noticed regen is greatly reduced. Normally I turn off TACC or AP at a certain point and regen would slow me down enough but today I was still going way too fast... and I was going uphill!

I didn't notice too many nags today but I was busy watching the speeds and trying to keep the car under control as it kept speeding up and slowing down due to the changes in this version. :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Okay Im going to chime in again. I am retraining myself to "do it right", apply consistent resistance ( one handed -lefty in my case) to keep the nags off ( yes that does work) but I I gotta say I really liked not having to put my hands on the wheel for decent periods and when getting the white flashing full boarder to tell the car I was still there and I was attentive though out and then it ( the car) went back to doing what I wanted it todo which was drive, at 70 ( in an appropriately marked location ;) . if that ( the previous description) is the first version of early full self driving ( e.g. person in the car - in the driver seat-, but back to car driving most of the time).. im paying for the FSD option even though I am leasing ( I haven't yet).I liked it that much. I had developed a way to basically get 9X% of my commute done under EAP AP2 with very little input from me, but fully attentive ( no phone watching) which what was a very safe ( it was safer than I was being in manual and I was much more consistent/relaxed in AP) , very relaxing long commute. Now I have to actively adjust,(accelerate manually) when it brakes early ( I was on 3 spacing on tacc, now I'm on 2 because it is too aggressively braking and then speeding up, like others have noticed requiring a whole another level of attentiveness on what the heck the car is doing and why) . on 12.4, and 14.1 at least for me ( Yes I know this wasn't for everyone, there is a lot of variability on a given load between cars, not sure why so much) it was smooth. nags were spaced well. I could tug it at that time ( yes I know I was doing it wrong but that's what the SC said when I took delivery of the car in 2017 which started my " bad habit" ) . either way im providing too much input/correction in autosteer so I'm going back to just driving. Let me know when either we are back to some thing we had in EAP ( AP 1 or 2) about 12,4 or when FSD comes. our wonderful discussion on the board explains why we cant have nice things....

For those not ‘up’ on iOS notifications, this has nothing to do with the app settings itself. Open up Settings on the phone. Wait a few seconds for your apps to load. Scroll down to ‘Tesla’, tap on it and then on Notifications.

Then be sure alerts have Banners on and set to Persistent.

Sorry, but that's not correct. You have to have notifications enabled for the Tesla app, true, but that won't get you notified of firmware updates unless you also have that notification checked withIN the Tesla app, itself.

I've been debating all day whether to post to this thread in a non-moderator role (650+ posts, really?), but: Updated from 2018.16 to 2018.21.9 on my S85D (AP1 and MCU1, obviously). For the way I hold the steering wheel while using auto-steer (left hand, little bit of tension next to the 6 o'clock spoke), I'm experiencing zero difference in the way auto-steer works, in limited testing over two days. It was OK before, and it's still OK now. Clearly some fraction of people who have updated are having issues, for various reasons...I get that. But from reading posts here I was halfway expecting AP to be unusable for me (leading one to question why I went ahead and installed the update anyway), and it was basically a no-op.

No change in regen for me either. I live on the side of a hill so I'm pretty familiar with my car's regen behavior (normal vs. cold vs. full battery). It behaves exactly the same now as it did before.

Bruce.

Good News : the UHFS is back and nags are not an issue for me
Bad News: AP(1) is lot more squirrelly, the follow distance at the lowest setting has been increased and Tunein is still missing most of the local stations.

The increased follow distance is most annoying as it leaves just enough gap that aggressive drivers are constantly diving in front of me. Much more dangerous than the shorter follow distance. The only other option I can see for congested freeway driving is to set it to 7, buy a hat, start smoking cigars and put it in chill mode. Not happy about this change, but glad to have the audio back.

Just got back from a short run. At 50 MPH with AS on, I waited about 30 seconds for the lower box nag, and as soon as it popped up I used 1 (one) finger and placed it on top of the spoke at the 9 o’clock position with enough force to satisfy the nag. It was a light enough touch that the wheel did not noticeably deflect.

Certainly not suggesting people drive that way, it’s not safe, but it dispels the notion some have stated that it takes too much effort (force, pressure, whatever) to cancel the nag. FWIW.

I would like to attempt to explain exactly how slowing down at off ramps is accomplished in 2018.21.9 based on what I experienced during my last drive.

Driving on Highway in Autopilot.

Speed limit 60mph.

Max Speed automatically set to 62

(+2 mph offset)

Disengaged autosteer when turning wheel at freeway exit. TACC still engaged.

Max still 62.

As I proceeded down the off ramp max changed to 60.

Then it dropped to 55, then 50, 45, 40, 35 and finally 30.
Took the same exit today and shot video of the IC while TACC is slowing down as I described.

Last edited:
Reactions: StefanSarzio