Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24.1 12dd099

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also had a couple of shadow-ish braking moments last weekend on 2018.21.9. Whether that’s a whitelist or firmware, be nice when it’s fixed. I’ve not noticed less regen on 21.9 but I’ll see how 24.1 is. I recall earlier releases almost stopping the car if it had room.

And to answer my own question, Canada does get the new MCU1 vector maps.

No one has nostalgia for CGA monitors? Mmm. 4 bit color... I used to be thrilled to see 16 colors grace my bulky 600x200 resolution CRT behemoth.
CGA? Meh, EGA is where it is at!

Seiously through, what is the reason behind this change? What was wrong with color? The Google maps like color scheme was familiar to most, and adds context. The bluish night theme is soothing and looks “hi-tech”

Reactions: croman
The new map rendering is visually unpleasant, the way it doesn't smoothly scroll. It's nauseating. I'm probably just not looking at them right, but I think I'd rather have the old ones back. How this *sugar* passes QC is, well, completely expected.

Also, got the red screaming beep OH CRAP TAKE OVER while in congestion on 90/94 today going like 15 mph behind a big pickup. But I guess I can set a speed limit thing on my app and now it knows that it has no idea if my hands are on the wheel or not. Also, tent! And spy! And Act Now, Limited Time Offer!

But wait, there's more! If you order now......

6837E577-0BA8-4393-82D2-9C3A1CD8430B.jpeg
C1EC72E4-E17C-4CB6-A30F-C58C53782096.jpeg
DE6C125D-C08C-4C45-893D-92B17DBFBE62.jpeg

Had a hard braking event but it was either a strong shadow or more likely a car that pulled out of a driveway 150 or so feet away across 2 lanes to pull in front of us. Wasn’t doing more than 35 at the time so not sure which caused the braking. Thought we were over that as I can’t remember when I had that last.

Collision Avoidance Assist set to Medium.

EDIT: Sorry, release notes already posted on page 2. They were on screen after the install per usual.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I really preferred the old map style much more. The day time style was familiar as I use google maps. The night time style had no contrast now, everything is just Sade’s of gray. The old one had a near black background with blue and gray roads. Soothing yet visible.

Why did Tesla change this? Vector rendering of labels can be done with tout changing the base map at all? Did Google force them to change it? Did they do research to know this is actually better and we are just not used to it yet?

Got this update last night but the release notes were blank (just an empty white window). Even when I hit the Tesla logo and bring up the release notes again, they're still blank. Has this happened to anyone else? The upgrade was successful because we have vector maps and the speed limiter.
Ditto. No issues with the update itself and the notes HAD been displaying before I got in the car (was washing the windows before a short trip) and I dismissed them when I sat down. A while later while stuck at a light, I though I’d pop them up just to read them myself and they were just blank.

I had already done a top button AND scroll wheel reboot (my normal course of action after EVERY update) but still no notes.

No biggie to me, just weird.

Ditto. No issues with the update itself and the notes HAD been displaying before I got in the car (was washing the windows before a short trip) and I dismissed them when I sat down. A while later while stuck at a light, I though I’d pop them up just to read them myself and they were just blank.

I had already done a top button AND scroll wheel reboot (my normal course of action after EVERY update) but still no notes.

No biggie to me, just weird.
I had the blank notes page at first. I reset the display. Then brought up the release notes from the Tesla information/easter egg dialog. Blank. I left the dialog up and a while (maybe a minute) later the release notes appeared.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I had my first full day with 24.1 today.
I did not notice any difference in AP. It is still rock solid for me. AP 2.5 MCU2 March Build 2018 MS100D
However, it seems that the Vehicle tracking animation on the IC is more accurate around curves, the shape of the curve is more representative of the actual road. There used to be a large discrepancy between the road and the vehicle ahead, making it appear to be askew because the curve was more acute than what was on the IC.
Now they are more in sync and the car ahead even has the angled perspective of a turning car. Vehicles in adjacent lanes, not so much.
1552AA3E-819F-431D-8905-60297ABA772D.jpeg

HI My first full day with 24.1 apologies if similar observations are buried the thread ( I seem to now be one of the later ones to get the load) . I have a spring 2017 MS 90 D AP2 MCU1. I too had some " take over immediately" warnings when I first took it out. but I thought id take it for a " calibration run" and sure enough it stabilized very quickly. I even took it to an interchange here in Virginia where you can go onto other divided highways and back onto others then back yet on others still. This load is really nice, but there seems to be a trick to arriving at an off ramp. It seems to want to stay in the off ramp lane at full highway speed( some of ours are quite long) , which feels a little unnerving to the point I down select the speed on TACC ( double clicking in 10MPH increments) till entering the diverging offramp. This load takes the off ramps just fine and starts to further down select the speed to the off ramp setting on its own. ( I even saw the little blue ring spin on TACC selecting off ramp speed with no cars in front of me ). Not bad , getting better. very useful on long trips with changes in main highways. Probably hard to fine tune the entering the offramp ( with so much variability in off ramp designs), this may take some time to perfect.

Another observation: off ramp to main highway : coming off the off ramp to merging on to the main highway ( as long as you stay in the right lane) works well enough we could almost declare that working. not sure yet about full speed merging in
heavier traffic
though ( don't think it would yield on it own, just run out of merge lane and then force itself into traffic. This particular day with medium traffic spacing , it merged really well ( maybe thanks to the other drivers?) I think tesla probably doesn't want me leaving it auto steer during this multiple off ramp to on to off ramp test, but it works just fine as our off ramps / cloverleafs are not too severe in Virginia ( usually a drop from 65 to 40 to 30 ish). today I went from clover leaf to clover leaf to even a third one on and then a forth and never took it out of auto steer/TACC!. Just don't do this while trying to read a phone. you just don't know what other drivers are going to do on the main highway when you merge. if you do the onramp / off ramp thing, this is not a "set it and forget it" thing yet and you can experiment but like previous AP2 loads you really do have to be very aware of your surroundings entering the off ramp and merging. it is nice though to not have to disengage for high way interchanges every time.

On the rest of the drive I've retaught myself to " apply pressure" and nags are down to virtually zero, I even went back to hands off completely for short durations ( psst don't tell elon) which was very relaxing. I do wish we had the full white boarder warning after the new small banner before the Beep warning, I cant see the little white warning strip fast enough since I am looking up at cars ( what a concept! ;) ) and not directly at the IC. The full white boarder I could notice using peripheral vision . that would be a nice reminder if I get lax. yes the maps on an MCU1 not in satellite mode feel a bit washed out. I used to keep it in this mode as the old maps were slow in satellite mode . I just switched to satellite mode and it is fine. On balance this load is working great and I am very happy with it. Bring on more EAP; Stops at red lights ( no cars), 4 way stops? left turns? maybe those are FSD. Have fun out there! be safe, so we all can have fun.