Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24.1 12dd099

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This update is good. Very impressive on the twisty roads.... through intersections.... I went over a blind intersection hill in Austin where in the past if the car dove left or right would be a very bad thing, and I'm blown away by the ability to stay centered. Can't wait for 9.0.

Autopilot is freaking awesome. Other cars and their driver assist functions are like 1/5 as functional and available at best. Supercruise comes to mind.

Good times.

On another Vegas trip and compared to .21.9, .24 is navigating more complex city conditions correctly. Intersections with no markings and faded lane lines on both sides with only a curb as a reference point.

On highways it is following even sharper curves correctly.

I know some of us have been seeing regressions in both .21.9 and .24 but for my CA and NV driving it has been the exact opposite. Hands down, each of these builds delivered solid performance improvements well beyond placebo effect.

The only gotcha that is going to annoy some people: above 80mph it seems like the nag interval is even more aggressive. At 87mph I was measuring about 12-13 seconds per nag. It’s more reasonable in the 65-70mph range similar to .21.9, but it seems like this is new behavior in .24.

I'll try to video some of it. Especially the intersection... I also noticed something pretty clever, though I need to try to replicate it. I was on autopilot at a stop light with one car in front of me. The car in front of me *(and myself) were both stopped.... then the lead car turned right on red. In the past, this means the car would start rolling and you could run the red light if you are You You driving. Anyway.... car turns right, I start rolling forward, but my car gave me a strong loud beep as though it saw the red light and was warning me. Is this a precursor to traffic light recognition? Or was it a coincidence? I have never been nagged to hold the wheel while at a stop light.... so this is pretty exciting if you ask me.

Someone needs to get out there and run some red lights. Comon people!

I'll try to video some of it. Especially the intersection... I also noticed something pretty clever, though I need to try to replicate it. I was on autopilot at a stop light with one car in front of me. The car in front of me *(and myself) were both stopped.... then the lead car turned right on red. In the past, this means the car would start rolling and you could run the red light if you are You You driving. Anyway.... car turns right, I start rolling forward, but my car gave me a strong loud beep as though it saw the red light and was warning me. Is this a precursor to traffic light recognition? Or was it a coincidence? I have never been nagged to hold the wheel while at a stop light.... so this is pretty exciting if you ask me.

Someone needs to get out there and run some red lights. Comon people!

Had the same thing happen today. Not sure if it losing lock on the lane lines or the red light caused it to panic after the lead car turned right, but something did.

Had the same thing happen today. Not sure if it losing lock on the lane lines or the red light caused it to panic after the lead car turned right, but something did.

I found this to be nearly 100% reproducible if you engage AP behind someone turning left at an intersection. TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY sounds as soon as the car in front turns away revealing a lack of lane lines / oncoming traffic.

It definitely seems like recently AP2 has been getting smarter about “oh crap, I’m really not supposed to be doing this!” Detection.

Reactions: croman
I just got this update a couple days ago. I *immediately* noticed the maps on the 17" screen loaded incredibly more slowly than before. And when I zoom in now, I NEVER see details, just a grid.

PLUS, when I drove down to Albuquerque recently, and went to a store I have gone to numerous times, the nav this time wanted me to get off on the previous exit than normal, and drive a long way out of the way then loop back . . . after doing a U turn at one point. WTF? I ignored it and went the usual route, which was fine.

So far, I'd say I don't get how the nav system has been improved. It is slower, and makes dumb suggestions now.

Progress!?

(I have a 2013 Model S 85 fwiw)

Reactions: jkennebeck
I found this to be nearly 100% reproducible if you engage AP behind someone turning left at an intersection. TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY sounds as soon as the car in front turns away revealing a lack of lane lines / oncoming traffic.

It definitely seems like recently AP2 has been getting smarter about “oh crap, I’m really not supposed to be doing this!” Detection.
So when my car comes up to this sign in my neighborhood with AP engaged at 35mph, it begins to slow down on its own. Not fully, but down to maybe 20mph. Does it every time. No speed limit change on street or MCU. (Yes it’s a Model 3, but this thread seems more active!)
3102F658-9693-431C-B730-20FCCD1E890A.jpeg

Our 2017 S 100D went directly from 2018.10.4 to 2018.24.1. AP2.

First drive after update.Doesn't slow down enough for the curves. Maybe the car needs some more miles to refine its neural net.

Map seems to update more quickly. Several times took an exit ramp before the desired one shown on GPS. Finally realized I was still factoring in the old lag time.

Just do a simple test. Drive with some speed (outside urban area) on a regular road with Autopilot (not highway/motorway/interstate). Then when you will enter speed limited zone with a significantly lower limit than your speed, Autopilot will slow down automatically (if it has in the maps). Prior this update it was 55km/h on 50km/h speed limit, 75km/h on 70km/h speed limit etc. With this update it is 60km/h on 50km/h speed limit, 80km/h on 70km/h speed limit etc.

Prior to this update it was what you have specified in the settings, within the provided range of 0 to 10 km/h.

Now it's 10 km/h, independed of what your specific setting is.

These new maps have different speed limits on many spots (they are usually better than older maps).

The maps for navigation (which are new) are separate from the maps for the AutoPilot, which are used for the speed limits.

Reactions: NickFie
Perhaps not peak regen power, but the taper curve is definitely weaker.

I think you are right about the taper curve, but I think it is applying it more intelligently. If I cancel TACC or AP on an open road, it coasts for much further before decelerating progressively harder - I find it allows me to take over much more smoothly.

When I first had the car cancelling TACC would immediately decelerate quite hard unless you already had the accelerator pedal pressed to the right position (which usually meant I actually accelerated slightly to find that point). Half the time when I cancel TACC it is because I can see a situation evolving where I don't want it to react (e.g. a car turning across or out of lane that will be long gone by the time I get there).

On the flip side, if TACC or AP is already decelerating (say the car in front is slowing down or one of the junctions where it has started to automatically slow down) when I disengage, it immediately continues to decelerate (i.e. it continues the disengage curve from the active deceleration point, so if the car in front was decelerating hard, disengaging TACC continues to decelerate hard so you don't suddenly find yourself coasting toward the braking car).

I think this is the latest of a number of changes in this area, but I, while it takes a while to get used to it again (cancelling TACC a little earlier or later depending on the circumstances), I think it actually makes for a positive and more natural driving experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I just got this update a couple days ago. I *immediately* noticed the maps on the 17" screen loaded incredibly more slowly than before. And when I zoom in now, I NEVER see details, just a grid.

PLUS, when I drove down to Albuquerque recently, and went to a store I have gone to numerous times, the nav this time wanted me to get off on the previous exit than normal, and drive a long way out of the way then loop back . . . after doing a U turn at one point. WTF? I ignored it and went the usual route, which was fine.

So far, I'd say I don't get how the nav system has been improved. It is slower, and makes dumb suggestions now.

Progress!?

(I have a 2013 Model S 85 fwiw)

You probably only have the .24.1 update but not yet the updated maps update. In the regular update there is a change of the 17"inch maps display, you will notice its in grey scale and its now vector based. The advantage is that if the map is paning its faster, but zooming in and out does not load the maps faster but many people are saying its even slower. Not sure if this will be solved when the updated maps update is also installed. You can check if you have the updated nav if in the Maps, app settings it now says "Online routing". Also you will notice the change in the map view in the IC.

Anyone else having battery level fluctuation since this update? My car (90D) has been plugged all night and charge limit set at 90%. I opened the Tesla app and the charge level says complete but keeps flipping between 252 and 251 Miles. Never seen this before this fw.

With the new maps, in night mode, the background is somewhat black-green color and the fonts for the road names are not white but instead some light gray color. There is hardly any contrast and it is next to impossible to read the road names in just a glance. To make things worse I feel the font size for most of tr roads are too small. Is this a bug? Can’t imagine any one would have designed the road names to be so difficult to read.
They need to :
1) make the map background more black (no green tint)
2) make the font color of the road names brighter white
3) at least give an option to make the font size of the road names a bit bigger.

Reactions: takeshiken
1F29FEB3-98FF-4951-AD7D-3D627EE3907F.jpeg

Driving through the abyss

Not happy with the new colors of the maps, nor the vector tiles. A step backwards for sure

The sensitivity to my hand has improved since the increased nags and I no longer get the nag at all when my hand is on the wheel. Which is good because that’s how it’s suppose to be.

Half the time when I cancel TACC it is because I can see a situation evolving where I don't want it to react (e.g. a car turning across or out of lane that will be long gone by the time I get there).
In those situations you can depress the accelerator to override TACC breaking without disengagement. It will take over when you release the pedal. At least that's how it works on my 3.

I’m always skeptical of reports that claim regenerative braking was reduced in a firmware update, but after driving on this one for about a week, I have to agree that it has been modified.
Perhaps not peak regen power, but the taper curve is definitely weaker. I have had to hit the brake pedal in places I’ve never had to before, such as the hilly streets of San Francisco including the one that leads to my house.

I was thinking the same. Initial regen when lifting off accelerator seems much softer before ramping up as normal. I'm not sure if it's an improvement or not as I find myself using the brakes more now, but it's probably smoother. I hadn't twigged that this was linked to the update, but definitely noticed a difference in the last few weeks since the update.

So when my car comes up to this sign in my neighborhood with AP engaged at 35mph, it begins to slow down on its own. Not fully, but down to maybe 20mph. Does it every time. No speed limit change on street or MCU. (Yes it’s a Model 3, but this thread seems more active!)
View attachment 314465
yup...I'm gonna wait for the temperate to drop and try to cover the sign and repeat.