Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.24.1 12dd099

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
24.1 also broke traffic conditions. The red lines on the map don't update unless you turn the feature off and then on again (via the icon in the lower right).
I thought the same as well, but there was a huge traffic jam (road work) and it properly marked it and cleared it when I went back 30 min later. It does look like end segments of roads before turns are frequently marked as heavy traffic when they are not.

I did reboot the MCU once. Maybe it is caching interval?

Tried rebooting the car and both the release notes and the owner's manual remain blank. I'll call Tesla today and see if they have any additional recommendations.
Are you trying this on WiFi? I had the same problem with 2018.24.1. I always reboot "everything" after a new version lately so that did not help. After a number of days I decided to try again but this time made sure I was on WiFi and rebooted the MCU and it just started working. I can not say for sure what caused it to work. WiFi or another reboot or ??? but it is now working. I have not tried again on CELL but maybe the data is now download to the car so not sure that would prove anything.

The driving route is blue and traffic is still green/orange/red and overlays on top of the route and gray roads too.

If anything the traffic overlays now stand out better because those colors are more unique.

I have not yet gotten this update. But a question that I've often wondered comes to mind. The quote above says "on TOP of the route"...

On my maps when I have a route plotted, the traffic (red, orange) seems to be UNDERLAID (underneath) the blue route line and almost imperceptible. I was hoping tesla would find a way to just remove the blue route line from those sections of your route that had bad/worse/stopped/Los Angeles traffic congestion. Would be MUCH easier to see.

Even now, sometimes I'll cancel the route temporarily just to get a better look at the red or orange lines.

Am I the only one with this issue? Do I have a defective MCU?

I have not yet gotten this update. But a question that I've often wondered comes to mind. The quote above says "on TOP of the route"...

On my maps when I have a route plotted, the traffic (red, orange) seems to be UNDERLAID (underneath) the blue route line and almost imperceptible. I was hoping tesla would find a way to just remove the blue route line from those sections of your route that had bad/worse/stopped/Los Angeles traffic congestion. Would be MUCH easier to see.

Even now, sometimes I'll cancel the route temporarily just to get a better look at the red or orange lines.

Am I the only one with this issue? Do I have a defective MCU?
I believe that's pretty standard in the way the route is drawn, not an MCU defect.

On top of that, I really thought this was a MCU1 bug with how bitmap maps drew the route. It would also have issues with accidentally drawing long segments of solid green, etc.

My impression was that the team was probably concentrated on getting MCU1 vector maps ready, and didn't care to fix any bugs that came up in the bitmap maps.

FWIW, the way traffic draws on top of the route on the vector MCU1 maps is a lot better.

Well, my EAP still doesn’t work after updating to 2018.24.1 despite some great conversations with telephone support. I got a great follow up from a support exec in Utah (thank you). I called my local service centre today and they said my problem can’t be fixed OTA. Taking the red shark into service on July 20. Hoping it comes out with EAP working as it used to. This unassisted driving is exhilarating but I much prefer TACC and autosteer helping me.

I updated to 24.1 yesterday and it all appears fairly the same to be honest.

One thing that appears new is that when engaging TACC it sets the max speed to the max speed of the road, not the speed you were doing. I like that as it drove me mad engaging autopilot at 40mph then it not going over 40 when it changed to 60 without it being manually adjusted.

So I just got back from a 3,300 mile road trip from Chicago to Colorado and back. Was fantastic! I was on 2018.21.9 on the way out there, and oddly enough, received the update to 2018.24.1 while on single bar 3G (not LTE) while I was out there. It was rock solid both ways.

The biggest difference I noticed was that it seems like the navigation route planner is much closer to ABetterRoutePlanner on 24.1. The charging stops were closer, more accurate, and it seemed much more realistic.

Overall, Autopilot drove probably 3100 of the 3300 total miles. Nags were virtually nil... I use a bottle most of the time, as well as hold the bottom of the wheel when I feel like actually holding the wheel.

Overall, great job, Tesla!

Yeah at least for my driving routes, these two builds have been the best I’ve ever seen AP (1 or 2) perform. I’m 75% through my 1000 mile road trip and only have had to intervene twice, some of that thanks to moderate traffic preventing me from going 80-90mph through mountain passes.

I’ve also noticed some fantastic TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY alerts when approaching T junctions or railroad crossings between highways. This seems like an intentional new safety feature.

Try it. It works great! :)
Have you considered what would happen (liability wise) if you were in a accident using the Water Bottle? Would your insurance company deny your claim because you bypassed safety features of the car? Or what if the accident cased damage or death to another person? I understand that it will work. There is a guy with many many youtube videos doing it. I would not do it myself and I am pretty comfortable with the capabilities (and problems) of AP.

Have you considered what would happen (liability wise) if you were in a accident using the Water Bottle? Would your insurance company deny your claim because you bypassed safety features of the car? Or what if the accident cased damage or death to another person? I understand that it will work. There is a guy with many many youtube videos doing it. I would not do it myself and I am pretty comfortable with the capabilities (and problems) of AP.

I totally agree. We have people putting oranges, steel nuts, water bottles, the Buddy Hack. and anything else they can think of to apply torque to the steering wheel. The ones that complain about the nags are the ones that want to drive hands free. Tesla can sense the torque on the steering wheel is only in one direction so they know that there is a weight on the steering wheel to eliminate the nags. When those drivers have an accident and try and blame it on autopilot, Tesla has the data to prove they were not driving with their hands on the steering wheel. When insurance companies start using Tesla's data and stop paying claims for damage and liability, it will be a rude awakening for drivers that are not maintaining control of their cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: MIT_S60
Just because folks disable the nags does not mean they aren't holding the wheel and paying attention. Some just get tired of the nags for not holding the wheel Tesla's way. :cool:
Understand. My point was, I wonder if the Insurance company would see it that way? Heaven forbid someone bypassing a safety feature like in this case and actually got into an accident (and still paying just as much attention as without it) and the device (water bottle in this case) was still attached to the steering wheel so with out a question was bypassing a safety feature. Would the insurance company (maybe looking at $100's of thousands in liability damage) find a good reason to deny the claim?