Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet the laws, at least where I live, as they are written currently do not recognize "level 3" or any level for that matter. There is no "Tesla exception" or any exception for any artificial intelligence period.

Disagree all you want people, I am not saying I agree with it, I am just reciting the law (again, in my province at least)

You use an electronic device in this province you will get a very expensive distracted driving ticket. Argue or disagree all you want with the cop, it is not going to matter.

Motor Vehicle Act

That was my whole point about the liability transfer being possibly the most difficult part, actually.

Autonomous vehicles are a new thing, and will require changes in laws to properly handle them - and that starts with level 3, the first time the car and autonomous systems are supposed to be responsible for safe operation during a portion of the driving.

That means if the car crashes while actively driving under a level 3 system, it is supposed to be the fault of the system manufacturer/certifier, not the driver - and as you so aggressively point out, we mostly don't have laws supporting that at this point.

Reactions: ironwaffle