Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ones sharing here seem to not be part of the official testers group. BigD0g and friends are amazing people who have sacrificed their time to hack and tinker with their Teslas. They have access to this firmware because they have root access and simply downloaded the latest firmware from Tesla and installed it. (correct me if I'm wrong). They are therefore not under any NDA. Voiding warranty maybe.

So let's have a round of applause for these people, without them we'd have known none of the things we know now!

Warranties cannot be voided for rooting cars in the US. It's totally legal per copyright law and manufacturers can be sued for trying to stop owners from rooting and servicing their own vehicles, including farm machines. Just ask John Deere who lost a big lawsuit 2 years ago.

In addition, the Magnusson-Moss Act protects warranties from being voided unless the modifications can be proven to be the cause of the issue.

Like all software: when it’s “done”
Thankfully it's never "Done" which is why I love this car. Constant upgrades and new tricks that I don't have to pay for.

As for when can I have v9, I don't want it until Tesla feels its ready. Early access code is cool for my Apple TV or desktop software where crashes and misbehaving software have zero penalty. But I'll stay away from Beta code on a 5,000lb vehicle doing 70mph with my daughter in the right seat. Patients folks, it will get here "soon" and we should be thankful for all the kinks getting worked out now that we won't ever experience or even now about. I'm a huge Telsa fan but all people make mistakes. Tesla developers are doing something nobody has ever done before so they don't even have something to mimic.

Thankfully it's never "Done" which is why I love this car. Constant upgrades and new tricks that I don't have to pay for.

As for when can I have v9, I don't want it until Tesla feels its ready. Early access code is cool for my Apple TV or desktop software where crashes and misbehaving software have zero penalty. But I'll stay away from Beta code on a 5,000lb vehicle doing 70mph with my daughter in the right seat. Patients folks, it will get here "soon" and we should be thankful for all the kinks getting worked out now that we won't ever experience or even now about. I'm a huge Telsa fan but all people make mistakes. Tesla developers are doing something nobody has ever done before so they don't even have something to mimic.

You know it's possible that Tesla will release a new version higher than .39 to the public release.