Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick quick impressions:

Got v9 on my S AP2 but not our X, ironically.

Cameras did not need time to calibrate; everything was ready to go as soon as I put it in Drive.

Love the change to the IC display... The surround car display is quite useful, and the cars in the blind spot are large and bright enough that it's obvious from peripheral vision that I shouldn't be making a lane change.

Overall AP2 is driving smoother, but I can kind of understand why the Drive On Nav didn't make it in -- it's still a little scary when the system tries to take cloverleafs: On a few of them, it got through fine, but it failed 2 out of 5. On one, the lane lines washed out around the final corner and it got way too close to the guardrail. On another (we love you California) there's a freaking SHRUB that grew 2 feet into the offramp so you have to drive off the other side of the road to avoid hitting branches. Autopilot clearly doesn't recognize poor landscaping yet :D

Local lane changes are AWESOME!!!! In the city AP2 seems much more forgiving about irregular lane lines (e.g. solid, double, etc) which I like for manual lane changes. If I flip the turn signal, I don't want the robot to second guess my intentions.

Overall, yeah, this is a huge (pardon my Elon term) step change in Autopilot performance. No it's still not perfect, but it feels a ton more polished and capable to me. It feels basically as big as that jump to Karpathy's 2018.10.4.

Given how Tesla iterated .10.4 all the way to our last v8.1 build (.36), I would say that v9 has a bright future ahead of it.

v9 seems more upload heavy for me. Went for a 20 minute drive and it uploaded a good 400MB afterwards.

EDIT: I highly highly recommend playing with the new UI / app launcher a little while parked before getting on the road. Otherwise it might take a little longer to find certain UI elements while driving. The change is fairly significant.

It seems cameras only needs calibrating if nav on auto pilot is present. Which is still present in 39.6.1. Also requires another new Map update

Just got V9 this morning on our Model X with AP 2.0 while in cottage country in Ontario, Canada (more precisely Haliburton, in the Kawasthas) for the Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend. The Atari games are awesome. I suggest spending some time parked to figure out all the controls, they have move them around a lot. It’s going to be an interesting and fun drive home this weekend.

So where do we go to register our complaints about not being able to keep the camera and another application (other than nav) on screen? I have AP1 and have always used the rear camera to make up for the unbelievable lack of the same blind spot monitoring I have had in other cars for many years. This setup definitely makes things less safe for those of us without AP2.

I sent an email about it to [email protected]. That's a good email address for service issues; maybe stretching it a bit to use it for this kind of thing, but it's all we've got as far as I know. The Contact form on the web site is for sales-related stuff.

Woke up to 39.6 this morning. Glad to see I was able to upgrade from 34.1 directly to 39.6. Maybe it was a 39.5 issue. I was really looking to drive by nav based on all of the videos so was disappointed when Elon decided to hold off for "a few weeks". However, it did give me a chance to review all of the other features.

1. Like others I liked my backup camera on top. Now the only option is the bottom. And you can not keep it on the screen while doing other things because you can only do 1 non nav app at a time.
2. When using nav it appears you can no longer go full screen if you want. If you have the music app on the screen you can make the music either about 50-60% of the screen or about 30-40% of the screen. But you can not simply minimize the music app and see the full nav screen. However, the climate controls do take less of the screen. They should allow you to use full screen on the nav if needed.
3. I do a lot of driving on surface streets and really love being able to use auto lane change anywhere (i guess like AP1). I am AP2.5.
4. The 360 type view of cars around you is a much much improved experience. My car is now moved forward on the IC so I can see cars coming up from behind (blind spot detection) which is good for me and the car since it is now much better at auto lane change. Before with auto lane change if a car was coming rapidly it would not see and do the lane change anyway.
5. BUT... Doing my freeway exchange from CA 110 to 405 north the car has to slow for the sweeping turn. It dropped from 65 to 50 (sign recommends 45) and handled it well like in most recent versions. However, when coming out and having to merge to the left lane I had to take over because of the car to my left was in the way I was not convinced it would have avoid it. This is one of those issues I would be concerned about with drive by nav.
6. I really like the improved auto lane change because of the blind spot detection. If I try to do an auto lane change with cars coming up you see the RED Line indicating the car is unable to make the move but when the car see's an opening the RED line goes a way and the car makes the move. This would happen to some degree in prior versions but without the RED line and only if the cars were seen by the sonar. Much better at seeing cars.
7. I do like the cosmetic visual of the different kind of cars, motorcycles, bicycles and trucks/larger cars. On surface streets this morning there was a bicycle to my right which showed up in the IC and just as I was about to take it off AP (which I have always done) the car started to slow a lot for the bicycle.
8. DASHCAM is a nice feature but has some issues. First the timestamp of the files is 7 hours ahead of me. I am in California. My 10am was recorded as 5pm. As I am writing this I was thinking a lost some of my videos but it could be that it is just the 1 hour wrap around. I bought a New USB 32gb drive and wish I could set the wrap value (1 hour is too short). I think a percent of available space would be better. I have over 10 save files (some extremely small) because of testing plus all of the files to make up the 1 hour wrap and my 32gb USB stills has > 30gb available. It is using 1gb. Even if it said to use 50% of my 32gb it would record about 12 hours. And if I got a 64gb USB drive it could keep 24 hours. The reason I want more is I would like to see that issue I had on the freeway exchange since I forgot to push the ICON to save the prior 10 minutes. The 1 hour seems short sided by Tesla Engineers.

Anyway, this is really a nice update and looking forward to the Drive on Nav feature to be released.

EDIT: Just checked my router it only shows 545mb download and a 159mb upload (maybe my drive this am).

Last edited:
First impressions on AP2.5, MCU1. Had passengers, so didn't look for edge/corner cases.

1) IC shows traffic in more lanes. However, it's unreliable in showing cars beyond your adjacent lane. IC backlight brightness seems a bit brighter. IC is unchanged beyond the center lane display.
2) Blind spot monitoring is very nice. Just look at the IC for cars behind you.
3) There was no visible calibration step for the additional cameras. AP behavior on local and freeway seemed little changed, but still good. Was able to auto lane change on a local street. Nags are unchanged.

At freeway speeds:
28 seconds: "light force on wheel" warning.
30 seconds: flashing white border begins.
43 seconds: audible beep.

4) On 8.1, tapping anywhere brought the app bar down from the top. Now you have to touch the app bar tray button just right. This is more dangerous while driving compared to 8.1.
5) Still. No. Waypoints.
6) It is nice to be able to adjust the "second app" window size. I didn't see any way to have the first app be something besides the NAV.
7) TeslaWaze seems unchanged.

Suggestions:
- red line for blind spot warning should be on even if blinker isn't triggered
- show app bar when screen is touched anywhere and substantially enlarge the app button sizes

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
2. When using nav it appears you can no longer go full screen if you want. If you have the music app on the screen you can make the music either about 50-60% of the screen or about 30-40% of the screen. But you can not simply minimize the music app and see the full nav screen. However, the climate controls do take less of the screen. They should allow you to use full screen on the nav if needed.

Yes you can. Just "drag" the top edge of the music app all the way down the screen.

Got 18.36.2 on my AP2/MCU1 2017 S90D (EAP+FSD options purchased). Excited to see the MCU1 cars finally getting the big roll out. Excited to go driving and check it out.

btw I don't mind missing out on the dash cam feature (since I have MCU1) but thanks to TMC threads I installed the $150 Chinese wifi dash camera that is powered by a connector already in the mirror and simply snaps on, replacing the old bottom plastic housing with the new dash cam. (Can't find the link at the moment). Works really great, invisible, no wires, powered by the car, etc. Color and clear images stored on its SD card, plus can be downloaded and view on your phone via built in wifi.

After a short drive this morning, two observations:

1) speed limits are jumbled. Almost ALL the roads I used had a incorrect speed limit showing on the IC. (vs. only about 20% before the update)

2) A section of road on my “standard route“ has an intersection where the road suddenly wideneds. On every previous version this was a fail point as the car would lurch to the right and then panic. This morning it handled it flawlessly! #progress

Got this version last night for my S75D (Dec' 17 built, AP2.5, MCU1 w/ EAP) and took it for a spin earlier this morning. Quick impressions:

1. I thought the UI is an improvement overall. It just feels cleaner and better organized. Some of the menu items as far as their new location will take some getting used to, but I really like the new UI. I usually have a split screen of the nav and media and I particularly like how v9 enables still having a mini version of the latter so I can have more screen space for the nav (but without losing the media view). Yes, some of the icons used are silly, but they are an extremely minor issue for me.

2. I thought I read somewhere that the rear camera view is now always shown on the bottom in all cases, but it showed up fine on the top for me when backing up, which is usually the only time I need it on the screen. It's extremely rare I would use it when driving, so it doesn't bother me at all that it now shows on the bottom in that case.

3. I love how the IC now reflects 360d view around me, as well as how it better reflects the types of vehicles. Tested the blind-spot monitoring and auto lane change on local roads, and they all worked flawlessly. I just felt an increased sense of confidence knowing the car now sees more around me.

4. I have a couple of stretches of local roads that I usually use to test new software versions. One is about a 1-mile rather twisting road (not hair-pin style but involves quick and successive turns for parts of it) and the other one is a 2-way single-lane each that curves to the right at an almost 90d angle. This new version is no better or worse on the former, but it finally almost cleared the latter! It's now way more responsive in making the turn and where the only blemish is that after it completed the turn, it didn't quite center the car in my lane and instead proceeded to move just a little bit on the lane divider. But this is undoubtedly progress, as all previous versions failed completely and miserably as I usually had to take over very quickly at the start of the turn. I do have another test that involves roundabouts, which AP is still unable to handle (although based on what I saw on the IC, it seems to do a marginally better job of rendering the driving lane).

5. The only regression that I observed was during a lane that would split into two at traffic lights where the steering wheel would quickly jerk toward the split lane before correcting itself. It's almost as if the steering wheel is now too much in step with the AP system as it tries to make all these calculations, whereas before it would seem to defer directing the wheel until after it picks a path.

The only thing I haven't tested is the dashcam feature as I still need to buy a USB drive, but all in all, love this new version. It also happens to be the first major version upgrade since I got my Teslas. After having previously owned ICE cars for so long, sometimes I still have to pinch myself over the notion that my cars now get better over time.

Did a bunch more driving around, mostly local this time. Again, AS was kind of hit-or-miss for me. It's doing some things beautifully that it couldn't do before, and other things horribly (that it did okay before). No real pattern I've noticed yet. I've definitely increased my guard at this point.

Another interesting thing - I was slowly driving through some parking lots with lots of cars parked and noticed the IC randomly showing lots of vehicles in front of or to the right side of me. Not facing perpendicular though - displayed on the IC as oncoming. A couple times it showed a whole line of trucks crashing right into me.

• Informative
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Did a bunch more driving around, mostly local this time. Again, AS was kind of hit-or-miss for me. It's doing some things beautifully that it couldn't do before, and other things horribly (that it did okay before). No real pattern I've noticed yet. I've definitely increased my guard at this point.

Another interesting thing - I was slowly driving through some parking lots with lots of cars parked and noticed the IC randomly showing lots of vehicles in front of or to the right side of me. Not facing perpendicular though - displayed on the IC as oncoming. A couple times it showed a whole line of trucks crashing right into me.

Hummm, sounds like radar multi-path.