Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed 2018.39.6 this morning. Now instead of (optionally) two stacked half-screen apps, there's only one full-screen app, Map, and all others are one-at-a-time pop-ups on the bottom 40% (or so) of the screen, obscuring that portion of the map? (E.g., obscuring most of the route ahead if I'm navigating south in N-up mode?)

Until now I have, 99% of the time, had the rear camera on the bottom half. No longer? Now I have to manually put it there every time I start up, or after every time I want to change audio or climate control etc.?

Really? Am I missing something?
Further thought: this change makes my driving less safe. The reason I always had the rear camera on the bottom of the screen was not that I enjoyed close-ups of the front of the vehicle stopped behind me at a light, but that it augmented my contextual awareness, especially of overtaking traffic on either side. Now to restore the camera after doing anything else on the screen, I have to look down and to the right -- look away from the road -- and place and move my finger properly at a point on the bottom of the screen. That new requirement detracts from safety.

I tested a southbound route in North-up display mode. The camera pop-up obscured a significant part of the southernmost portion of the route.

I think it depends on what type of nav heading/display you have up. The old split window display would do the same as you describe if you had heading or north up selected. I would often go to full screen on my commute so I could see more of my route for traffic purposes without having to zoom way out.

Didn't the media player used to have a search function? Overall I like the new media player.
I'm in the camp of give me two screens other then Nav... I'm one of those people that rarely use Nav.
Web browser seems a little snappier (MCU 1) and you can at least expand it to about 3/4 screen, full screen would be better.
Didn't know you could use the steering wheel to control the Atari games..kewl.
Going for a ride shortly to check out the new EAP and DashCam.

Search is still there but it looks different. Lower right on the Media pop up I think. It is labeled something like “search all” I think.

Did I miss something in the V9 update with split temp control? I only see the one at the bottom of the screen where there used to be a left and right temp control. I haven't had enough time to play with it to find out if the split temp control is somewhere else.

That bothered me, too. If you hit that control, you'll see a little sync button pop up above it. If you tap that, suddenly there are two temps in the bottom bar instead.

One of the things I used to do quite often is just turn off the climate by pressing the icon. Now we have to hit it to bring it up in a popup and then hit the off button. So what I think I will do is have the option on the steering wheel so when the right scroll is clicked the climate turns off and on.

I’m gonna throw this out there about the rear view camera...

Since it is relegated to the bottom only, it’s now a safety issue. When I was backing up this morning, the sun faded out the screen to a point it was useless.

That didn’t happen when the video was on top.

I wonder what folks used to do before there were backup cameras...

One of the things I used to do quite often is just turn off the climate by pressing the icon. Now we have to hit it to bring it up in a popup and then hit the off button. So what I think I will do is have the option on the steering wheel so when the right scroll is clicked the climate turns off and on.
According to the update notes you now press and hold the climate icon to quickly turn the system on or off.

Since it is relegated to the bottom only, it’s now a safety issue. When I was backing up this morning, the sun faded out the screen to a point it was useless.

Guess you're going to have to move to a place with less sun. Vancouver is usually nice and wet this time of the year :)

I was under the impression that we could update the car software from our iPhone but I could not so. I did it from the car, as before. Can someone please tell me where is this option on our iPhone App?

@brec - I agree. I too used the bottom half for backup camera. I don;t use the NAV as most of our drive is in city.
You can update from your phone when prompted. I was hoping for an UPDATE NOW button.

When backing out, without rear camera app running, the old parking screen will come up with video on top and 360 ultrasonics on bottom.

You have to share from another app. So open Google maps, and then find a location, then click share, and select the Tesla app. Like this

As for media controls, it needs to be activated in the car first.
Looks like Waze on iOS doesn't work for me. When I try to share and send via the Tesla app, I get "There was a problem sending this location to your vehicle".