Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally tested the dashcam feature after I got a USB drive (*). Thoughts/observations:

1. As described in the v9 release, the system splits the recordings into 1-minute clips, which is not ideal but something I can live with. However, what I found to be really annoying is how it would lose 1-2 seconds worth of recording in between the clips. I posted a video below in which you'll see what I mean close to the 1 minute mark. The video is made of 2 back-to-back clips on the same stretch of road that I would've expected to be seamless, except that there's a noticeable gap in between. I hope they fix this soon because 1-2 seconds is long enough such that key happenings that one expects to be captured could be lost.

2. The quality of the clips was rather worse than I expected in that I think they are a bit too grainy, especially compared to the other videos I've seen online, but perhaps it's just my imagination. Even when I'm directly behind a car, it's a bit difficult to clearly make out from the video what the other car's license plate is. It also would've been nice if the recordings included audio.

3. The file names appear to have a pattern of recent-front-YYYY-MM-DD_hh-mm.mp4 (ISO 8601), e.g. recent-front-2018-10-07_10-22.mp4. If you tap the icon to save 10 minutes' worth of clips, the resulting file names from that point forward until the 10 minutes mark will have a pattern of saved-front-YYYY-MM-DD_hh-mm.mp4 (after which the file names will revert to the first pattern). The hour and minute in the file name appear to be based on local timezone, but the timestamp of the file appears to be based on UTC. Just pick one, Tesla :)

4. All in all, better than nothing, but the feature is quite limited such that I'd give it a C grade right now. I really wanted to avoid buying a third party solution if I could help it, and I will likely hold off until end of the year to see what type of improvements they'll make first.

Btw, in the video below, all the driving was done by AP other than the very first turn, so you can also get a feel for how it did on this stretch of road, which has some decent lane divides scenarios.

(*) I bought this low-profile one to maximize the space in the enclosing compartment. It definitely achieves that goal and did come already formatted in MS-DOS FAT, although it's almost too low-profile such that pulling it out of the USB port is a bit of a struggle. Hopefully it's not something I'll have to do often.

Finally tested the dashcam feature after I got a USB drive (*). Thoughts/observations:

1. As described in the v9 release, the system splits the recordings into 1-minute clips, which is not ideal but something I can live with. However, what I found to be really annoying is how it would lose 1-2 seconds worth of recording in between the clips.

Try to format that USB drive with SD Formatter (it works with "normal" USBs too)
SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC
some SD cards/USB drives are improperly formatted at factory level making writes really slow.

AFAIK it will use FAT32 up to 32GB. Then exFAT. So anyone with 64GB or more will have to use something else for Tesla. This maybe? FAT32Format GUI: Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
Might be true. I'm just going by what a colleague told me whom actually works on the server end. When he said WiFi isn't needed to get the update, I did not clarify that it might be quicker on Wifi.

Seems like the metadata for updates say to wait a certain amount of time (usually a few weeks) for wifi. If wifi is provided during that time, it'll cause the update to download. Otherwise, at the end of that period, it'll likely download over LTE (the update can specify whether it downloads anyway or doesn't download at all)

So, if you're already selected to get an update, connecting to wifi will cause you to immediately start downloading it. But if you aren't selected, connecting to wifi has no effect.

Has anybody encountered this issue? I went out this afternoon and saw what looked like screen burn marks along the border of the centre console. I only noticed at after the update to V9.

IMG_20181007_164433.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181007_164433.jpg
    IMG_20181007_164433.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: HumanGenome
Has anybody encountered this issue? I went out this afternoon and saw what looked like screen burn marks along the border of the centre console. I only noticed at after the update to V9.

View attachment 341734

There are threads on “yellowing” of display not a V9 thing ..it’s more noticeable on white background of nav.. Tesla will replace the display under warranty

Seems to be a common issue. Tesla will replace under warranty.

That's the famous Yellow border. Needs a screen replacement under warranty

There are threads on “yellowing” of display not a V9 thing ..it’s more noticeable on white background of nav.. Tesla will replace the display under warranty

Thanks guys. Maybe the UI change made the border more noticeable. I'll get in contact with Tesla service.

No, he means the opposite. When your car stops at traffic lights (for example) behind another stopped vehicle, once the lights turn green and the car in front takes off, there's a deathly pause before your car takes off, and it's always taking off too slow - enough for many other cars to pull in front of you, or even occasionally the person behind to honk their horn.
Ahhhh, yes I completely agree as well
Many times I begin to accelerate with cars behind me
In addition, when a car slows to turn in front of me, it seems like and eternity before my car accelerates again

Seems to be a common issue. Tesla will replace under warranty.

I read somewhere on TMC that this is caused by melting of some sort of glue in MCU due to extreme heat inside the cabin.

@BinaryField - is your Cabin Overheat Protection setting turned off?

I read somewhere on TMC that this is caused by melting of some sort of glue in MCU due to extreme heat inside the cabin.

@BinaryField - is your Cabin Overheat Protection setting turned off?

My overheat protection is turned on. My loss of around 5% of battery charge in the summer afternoons seems consistent with the setting. We've had a pretty brutal summer in Southern California and it is only now starting to cool down (and it may only be temporary). So that might explain it if heat causes the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
Interesting... 34.1 started much faster in this scenario than v9 for me. v9 is excruciatingly slow.

What is your follow distance setting? Mine is typically set to 3 or 4.
On previous versions (since I don't have v9) it didn't seem to make any difference at all to the take off. I pull up at lights and always turn it down to 1 in desperation, but it's just as slow at 1 as it is at 7, so I end up mashing the accelerator in disgust myself, which kind of defeats the purpose :p

I haven’t updated yet. I’m reading these comments and it looks like for my AP1 it’s a mixed bag. The thing that strikes me most is that it seems like the revolutionary claims that this was finally going to add FSD unique features etc have all fallen away one by one. Aren’t AP2.x owners disappointed by that? When the update was delayed another month I thought ‘ ok, they finally learned its better to finish and deliver on promises late than to ditch features that aren’t ready’. Now it seems like they did both.

I don’t own a mode 3, but it seems like making the UI form factor different was the opposite of an inspired move. Now they forever have to hamstring the display on the larger S/X for the sake of development commonality with 3. Pretty dumb to limit the expensive product to the proletariat model capabilities.
When you see what the refreshed Model S interior looks like, you'll understand why they are making these changes to the UI.

Exclusive first look at Tesla Model S and Model X interior refresh: going spartan like Model 3

To give you an idea of what the problem is, I timed it on taking off a few times at the lights, and it can take up to 3 seconds to take off, and after that almost never is accelerating at the rate the car in front is accelerating unless they're moving at a snail's pace. This isn't about being aggressive at the lights, it's about not being half asleep. Take off should actually be faster than a human. Check out this video (especially the first part) to see what I'm talking about:

Is it enforcing the following distance, perhaps with a stale reference speed? Having been in marching band, the staggered start at a stop light is annoying to me.

• Funny
Reactions: HookBill and conman