Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.6 8377b4d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But when your vision system gives you false positives at a high rate you need to be careful about trusting it an assigning permanence to objects that were only ever glitches in the first place.

Don't worry, they can do this all with cameras alone. It's going to be generating revenue for us all by picking up strangers in an autonomous ride sharing Tesla Network any day now!

Good point about accounting for false positives.

If they won’t help, ask them why you haven’t received pin to drive considering how important it is to assist in the prevention of Tesla’s being stolen (or something along those lines). I called them due to having the yellow border on my screen but while on the phone asked when I will get pin to drive as wanted to secure my car. They said they would do a remote check and ‘see what they could do’. I received it later that day

I got an email from the service center:

"It looks like the vehicle is currently attempting to download v9.0 firmware, but is waiting until the vehicle is connected to WiFi, since this is a larger update. Is there a way for you to connect to a WiFi network at home or work?"

So I've bought another hotspot plan on my iPad and just left it in the car so now the car is connected via WiFi through the LTE iPad. I previously tried putting an iPhone in there this past weekend but I suspect the hotspot feature was turning off after a while (looks like this happens in iOS unless you disable screen auto lock which I've done on the iPad). Let's see if this does anything...

And I've read on here that people have gotten v9 without WiFi, so a bit surprised by the email from the service center...

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
You can get updates without Wifi

It's essentially on a time limit, so if you don't connect to Wifi within a certain time it will download over cell signal.

Your car gets a firmware update "job" and that's when the count-down begins. One of the hackers on these boards discovered that in the code.

So basically if you have a pending job waiting for Wifi you just connect and it will immediately begin downloading.

Reactions: chillaban
You can get updates without Wifi

It's essentially on a time limit, so if you don't connect to Wifi within a certain time it will download over cell signal.

Your car gets a firmware update "job" and that's when the count-down begins. One of the hackers on these boards discovered that in the code.

So basically if you have a pending job waiting for Wifi you just connect and it will immediately begin downloading.

Ah, got it. That makes sense.

Update: Got a prompt for software update within 5 minutes of connecting to wifi. Now on 2018.39.6 (from 2018.28.5)

They would have to be very close for sonar to pick them up. If cars are coming up fast from you behind you they can easily be on top of you before the car has any chance to finish the lane change.

If the car was approaching, the repeater cam sould pick it up. I think they were discussing a car keeping pace next to you. In which case an X could possibly use the Falcon door sensors. Otherwise, the B pillar cam and repeater need to catch it. Elon had mentioned using cropped camera feeds, perhaps that is limiting field of view?

If the car was approaching, the repeater cam sould pick it up. I think they were discussing a car keeping pace next to you. In which case an X could possibly use the Falcon door sensors. Otherwise, the B pillar cam and repeater need to catch it. Elon had mentioned using cropped camera feeds, perhaps that is limiting field of view?

It can also be difficult for NNs to recognize cars that are very close to the camera, especially if most of the car is out of the frame. I think there's a difficult blind spot next to the car where the B-pillar and repeater cameras intersect -- I think any car-sized object will definitely be visible in one or both cameras, but maybe not in a way that the NN can recognize it as a car. This may improve over time with more training data and tuning the NN -- though as I said before I think they are already straining the available resources on HW2 GPUs with V9 enabling all cameras and also clearly using a more sophisticated NN with drivable area and such, so they may be limited in how much they can improve the model without HW3. I hope that if HW3 turns out to be necessary to deliver on EAP features like on-ramp-to-off-ramp safely that EAP will also get the HW3 upgrade.

Reactions: mongo
It can also be difficult for NNs to recognize cars that are very close to the camera, especially if most of the car is out of the frame. I think there's a difficult blind spot next to the car where the B-pillar and repeater cameras intersect -- I think any car-sized object will definitely be visible in one or both cameras, but maybe not in a way that the NN can recognize it as a car. This may improve over time with more training data and tuning the NN -- though as I said before I think they are already straining the available resources on HW2 GPUs with V9 enabling all cameras and also clearly using a more sophisticated NN with drivable area and such, so they may be limited in how much they can improve the model without HW3. I hope that if HW3 turns out to be necessary to deliver on EAP features like on-ramp-to-off-ramp safely that EAP will also get the HW3 upgrade.

Good point. I wonder if they can do a road detection routine in parallel. High video noise level indicates no vehicle there...

From the Thread Below Post #272 and a Few others it seemed that the extra Cameras (v9 uses 8 vs v8.1 uses 3) are Calibrating for a few miles, so I think its more of a Calibration Period that makes the System better once it can use the Additional Cameras.

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

1b6f56c9-58cd-43f7-abff-aef917a3b0b2-jpeg.338606

what they really need to do is say "calibrating" use autopilot with caution or something until calibration completes

Got the new download about 1 week ago but didn't drive for several days. A number of new problems soon developed:

1 - Car apparently powered off by itself on 2 separate days while parked in the garage. Center display was blank when I got in but door handles allowed car to open. Center screen was black, seat wouldn't move, radio didn't work. I rebooted using 2 wheels but nothing happened. Waited a few minutes and tried to reboot again. Nothing happened so I just drove it. Driving was OK and finally, everything slowly came back.

2 - Took wife to the airport and everything worked fine. On the way home the cruise control would not work at all; everything else seemed fine.

3 - On 2 lane divided hwy. 65 mph and on CC when a car crossed about 150 yds in front of me. Car braked hard. Glad no one was right behind me. Scared the crap out of me and my wife.

4 - Got yellow band around center display this AM.

Hopefully, nothing else goes wrong.

For the first one, it is power saving to reduce the phantom drain. Just press on the break and wait a moment. The reboot is slower, did that the first time as well. I had this for few firmware versions and like the less then 1% drain in 24 hours.

Not disappointed at all, in fact, thoroughly happy with v9. I'm not seeing any of the regressions that others are seeing, other than for around the first 25 or so miles Autopilot was a bit unstable around corners. But it seems like after about 50 miles of driving, Autopilot is a totally new beast, able to take on crazy sharp turns, most cloverleafs, etc. Definitely next level capability for me.

Lane Change behavior is pretty awesome. If you flick your turn signal on with a car directly next to you, it seems to make a decision between whether to speed up (within TACC limitations) to merge ahead of the person or to slow down and go behind.

Overall sure, you can say it's the same set of Autopilot features, but everything just feels better now. Sure I can't wait for more automation features, but for now, v9 was more of an update than I expected. Especially compared to all the ridiculous hyping around v8 and it was basically just a basic reskin of the UI.

And I guess I'm in the minority of people who like the new UI changes.

So far, my only complaint with Version 9 is I don't want to see the Media Player unless I ask to. Right now, it is popping up every time I change between any of Park, Reverse, Drive. I don't want to see it unless I ask to, which is very rare. Annoying as hell. It even keeps popping up after I explicitly close it.