Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I I got in an accident I could hit the icon and theoretically it should dump to the flash drive the last ten minutes of video?
Yes. Remember it is constantly writing to the flash drive with the last 1 hour of video. When you hit the icon it writes the last ten minutes in a file(s) with the word "save" in the file name. I think you can also press and hold the icon to pause (but not sure). Or you can just hit the icon and then pull out the flash and keep last 1 hour.

EDIT: Another option is to keep a spare flash drive ready to go and just swap them.

Last edited:
Starting a general discussion thread for this version. So version 9 is finally being pushed to the fleet, currently version 2018.39.5.

Some additional official info from Tesla can be found here:
Discover Software Version 9.0

And here:
Introducing Software Version 9.0

Anxiously awaiting my update!!! I really wish we had the ability to force our cars to check for an
Will it show on the app that an upgrade is available? Or just in the car?
What Vins are getting the updates now? I dont have mine yet and my vin is 34728

Thanks @barjohn. You’re right about the LG device. I found this thread, and was able to identify my Tesla based on its MAC address starting with b4:e6.

How to ID Tesla Model 3 on WiFi network? | Tesla

Unfortunately, my car has only downloaded 21 MB today, while uploading 28 MB, so no soup for me!

Something else interesting, is that when the car goes to sleep, it seems to disconnect from the network, but if I wake it up, it reconnects. Going to try keeping it awake for awhile, to see if that prompts any activity...

SC told me that the car wont download the update unless it is asleep

Yes. Remember it is constantly writing to the flash drive with the last 1 hour of video. When you hit the icon it writes the last ten minutes in a file(s) with the word "save" in the file name. I think you can also press and hold the icon to pause (but not sure). Or you can just hit the icon and then pull out the flash and keep last 1 hour.

EDIT: Another option is to keep a spare flash drive ready to go and just swap them.

So in your drive you will have the constant 1 hour file and the 10 minutes file that was dump. That is awesome. I need to definitely try this now.

Last edited:
So if I I got in an accident I could hit the icon and theoretically it should dump to the flash drive the last ten minutes of video?

Yes, it removes the 'recent' prefix from the 10 1 minute clips and changes it to 'saved.'

So in your drive you will have the constant 1 hour file and the 10 minutes file that was dump. That is awesome. I need to defining try this now.

You have 1 hours worth of rolling 1 minute clips. After 60 minutes, the oldest clip is overwritten. You can press save as often as you want, I guess.

Reactions: pazdan and ngogas
Are you guys getting the "flash drive has a problem use scan disk to fix" prompt when you insert it into the PC? I kept getting that even after I reformatted it again. At first I thought maybe I need to pause the recording before I remove the USB drive from the car, but that didn't work either. It seems like every time I remove the drive from the car, something gets corrupted. So now I just ignore that message. It didn't seem to do any harm.

I haven't played around with the new version much yet but I'm liking it so far. The dash cam feature is a nice addition but the quality is a bit iffy at times, especially compared to a good aftermarket dash cam. It was pretty cloudy and dark here this morning so the video the camera recorded was too dark at times.

Some other things I've noticed that haven't necessary been mentioned elsewhere:

• You can now press and hold on the climate control fan icon to turn climate control on or off, no more having to go into the actual menu and turn it off
  • In the audio settings there is now an option to turn on "DJ Commentary" (I'm guessing this only really applies to Slacker)
Here's a test run of the TeslaCam feature from my drive earlier:

Are you guys getting the "flash drive has a problem use scan disk to fix" prompt when you insert it into the PC? I kept getting that even after I reformatted it again. At first I thought maybe I need to pause the recording before I remove the USB drive from the car, but that didn't work either. It seems like every time I remove the drive from the car, something gets corrupted. So now I just ignore that message. It didn't seem to do any harm.

Yes, I noticed that. I'm not too worried about it. I doubt that I'll be pulling much from it very often.

[QUOTE="PoitNarf, post: 3106506, member: 49004"
You can now press and hold on the climate control fan icon to turn climate control on or off, no more having to go into the actual menu and turn it off[/QUOTE]

Yes, and even easier is to just scroll the right scroll button on the steering wheel to turn on or off or change temperature.

Reactions: tracksyde
Yes, and even easier is to just scroll the right scroll button on the steering wheel to turn on or off or change temperature.

Yep, I'm very happy with that UI change as well! Much easier to adjust the temperature now.

Edit: I think @Silicon Desert is referring to sliding your finger to the left or right on the screen on the temperature control to adjust the temp.

Last edited: