Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seriously can’t believe that I’m seeing multiple Tesla owners across multiple threads demanding that Tesla never make software changes. Maybe you (the general “you”, not anyone specifically) don’t think that’s what you’re doing (or even worse, maybe you do), but you’re telling them “don’t you dare take away feature X because I rely on it and if it disappears we riot!” Who knows what the next “feature X” turns out to be. Innovation isn’t always a smooth process, and things generally get broken along the way. Part of a designer/developer’s job is not to give the user what they SAY they want, but what they’re actually looking to get. Maybe they sometimes miss the mark, but that’s part of the cost of moving forward.

Obligatory relevant xkcd: xkcd: Workflow

To top it all off, we’ve pretty much devolved into full out tribal warfare between multiple camps. It’s frankly embarrassing. A portion of the general population already looks at our cars and thinks we’re a bunch of rich entitled douchebags. Can we try NOT giving them further reason to think that, please?

The strangest thing that has happened to me with 2018.42 is that I was happily driving along and suddenly the air conditioning came on at 70 degrees with the fan when it was already about that same temperature in the car. I turned it off. About 10 minutes later it happened again :confused:

This morning when my car was about 60 degrees from sitting in my garage and it was 45 outside, the air conditioning came on blowing cold air even though it was set to 68. When I turned the steering wheel knob set to make it warmer, the dash display displayed the wrong setting (different from the touchscreen) but corrected itself as I turned it. I set it to 70 and it was still blowing cold. Then I turned it off by pressing the steering wheel knob, and on again and it finally started blowing heat. Wacky. I'm on 2018.42.2 now, but I had a similar experience with 2018.39.6. In my case it might have something to do with the car being previously driven with my wife's profile and switching to me. Anyone else see something like this?

Reactions: eager0
I like the earlier version where I could select putting the rear camera at the top or bottom of the screen. Frankly when I am driving I like the map on the top and the rear camera on the bottom as it makes it easier for me to see the idiots coming from behind. However when I am backing up it should be a simple software code to flip them and put the rear camera at the top of the screen and then back to the bottom when you go into drive. They could add this as a selectable driving option.

I woudl also like them to add the ability for the "save driver preferences" to include saving the screen(s) you want when you start the car. When I get in I want the may on top and rear camera on bottom. Others who drive the car want different items on the screen. This "douch bag", as someone stated we are being viewed as, wants it my way!

7159B0E3-BC1D-42E6-B5D3-D1DB9FFD8D90.jpeg
Still waiting. Roll out seems to being slowing down.

A big thanks to all those testing NAV on Autopilot. From the reports here, I won't be trying it any time soon. Actually, since I don't drive anywhere that lots of lane changes are needed, the feature does not interest me, except to follow the progress of autopilot.

An unsettling incident today: I was driving on AP (not NAV) in town and turned on my blinker to tell the car to change lanes. The lane to my right was clear but there was a car a very safe distance back. My car started to make the change and then swerved sharply back into my lane. I had to take over and make the lane change. There was no excuse for my car to begin the lane change and then swerve back, because nothing about the situation changed from the time I turned on the blinker until the time the car decided to swerve back. And I really don't think it should have rejected a lane change with that much space available.

When lane changes are not considered, I'd say AP is now a better driver than I am, and it does lane changes very smoothly when it is not under-estimating the space available.

I've noticed that Autopilot with 9.0 doesn't like to move into lanes that are close to barriers, at least not during the camera calibration period. I also had a swerve back at night because a car that wasn't visible was parked on the left shoulder and it would have been really close if the lane change had completed. Not complaining about that one!

Used Nav on AutoPilot again yesterday and this morning. Here are my experiences:

Yesterday Nav on Autopilot worked as I imagine Tesla envisions (290 from Laramie to 3800 Independence in Chicago). I engaged NOA as I entered the highway onramp. I was asked to confirm a merge onto the expressway (note, this merge is a combination on-ramp from Laramie and off-ramp to Cicero - this may be of importance). The vehicle stayed in the right lane for the three miles or so to my exit. It could have changed lanes to the center lanes to maintain my speed, but it did not. I still have the speed set to aggressive, perhaps I will try Mad Max to see if this changes this afternoon. When I approached my exit, the car signaled and took the exit as expected and then disengaged NOA, leaving me with regular autopilot (this exit was a single exit, not combined with an on-ramp). It came to a stop at the car in front of me at the intersection.

This morning was a different ball of wax (90 from Diversey to Laramie exit on 290 in Chicago). I engaged NOA on the onramp from Diversey. The merge was a simple on-ramp style merge, and the vehicle merged onto the expressway without signaling. The car stayed in the right lane, and significantly decreased its speed as it approached an off ramp on the right. Not sure if the GPS thought I was in the exit lane, but it began to slow as if that were the case. I manually switched lanes to continue my trip at my preferred speed. As the car approached my interchange, I was prompted to switch lanes to the right, which I did without issue. Despite the interchange from 90 to 290 being under construction, the car handled the interchange. It also notified me on the IC that construction was detected at that NOA capabilities might be diminished. The merge from 90 to 290 is EXTREMELY short, and I was nervous about the cars ability to handle it. Luckily there were no vehicles to contend with and the merge occurred as expected. There is a construction divide in the highway, and I believe I accidentally disengaged EAP by trying to coax the car right. As I approached my exit, the car disengaged NOA (as it did yesterday) and I had to manually exit (this exit was a single exit, not combined with an on-ramp).

At the top of my wish list would be the ability to read lane closure signs (including reduced speeds that can come with them) and react accordingly. I observed a massive amount of road construction going on across the country during a recent trip from Tampa back to Reno, and about 75% of it involves lane closures / speed reductions.

I seriously can’t believe that I’m seeing multiple Tesla owners across multiple threads demanding that Tesla never make software changes. Maybe you (the general “you”, not anyone specifically) don’t think that’s what you’re doing (or even worse, maybe you do), but you’re telling them “don’t you dare take away feature X because I rely on it and if it disappears we riot!” Who knows what the next “feature X” turns out to be. Innovation isn’t always a smooth process, and things generally get broken along the way. Part of a designer/developer’s job is not to give the user what they SAY they want, but what they’re actually looking to get. Maybe they sometimes miss the mark, but that’s part of the cost of moving forward.

Obligatory relevant xkcd: xkcd: Workflow

To top it all off, we’ve pretty much devolved into full out tribal warfare between multiple camps. It’s frankly embarrassing. A portion of the general population already looks at our cars and thinks we’re a bunch of rich entitled douchebags. Can we try NOT giving them further reason to think that, please?

Couldn’t agree more. We don’t get to tell Apple to stop or revert back to features that have changed. We simply need to think about Tesla in that way. Embrace change or this isn’t the car for you.

#TeslaForLife

One thing I am puzzled the logic behind when exiting highway ... what's the logic behind ?

"Nav autopilot ends in 500ft .. 400 ft ....100 ft." "Nav autopilot ended, press accelerator to continue" but at the same time the speed slow down significantly (at least to 30mph, not sure it will stop completely if I don't speed up), TACC still lightup and is at 60mph.

The service road that I am merging into has a speed limit of 55mph, it is busy during rush hour and the exit is straight not curved. The driver behind me is not very happy about it as he is traveling from a 70-75mph highway speed, slowing down but normally won't drop below 45. May be the logic is hard coded and not situation aware ? Any other different experience ?

If the last message "press accelerator to continue comes up earlier in the beginning then it makes sense but I cannot constantly looking at the instructment cluster and at the same time trying to be traffic aware.

Last edited:
The strangest thing that has happened to me with 2018.42 is that I was happily driving along and suddenly the air conditioning came on at 70 degrees with the fan when it was already about that same temperature in the car. I turned it off. About 10 minutes later it happened again :confused:

I had similar thing happen with the A/C, it was cold inside the car and I had the temp set at 71, which usually gives me enough heat, but the A/C kept blowing col air. Then I turned it up to 75, still no heat, 80 nothing, then at HI finally started to feel some heat!! So strange, it did this couple of times and then seems to be all ok so far again!

Not sure if anyone else had this happen. If it hasn't then it's just one more issue...my car has all sorts of strange issues, per @P85_DA!:D

This morning when my car was about 60 degrees from sitting in my garage and it was 45 outside, the air conditioning came on blowing cold air even though it was set to 68. When I turned the steering wheel knob set to make it warmer, the dash display displayed the wrong setting (different from the touchscreen) but corrected itself as I turned it. I set it to 70 and it was still blowing cold. Then I turned it off by pressing the steering wheel knob, and on again and it finally started blowing heat. Wacky. I'm on 2018.42.2 now, but I had a similar experience with 2018.39.6. In my case it might have something to do with the car being previously driven with my wife's profile and switching to me. Anyone else see something like this?

Finally, found someone with the same issue! Has it happened since? Mine did this twice so far and it seems like it is fine now! Just a random bug with 42.2 maybe? Need to provide Tesla this feedback.

Had it for a few days now. I have it on "mild" vs. Mad Max, and so far, it isn't making any irrational lane change recommendations. I think some are getting confused about what "Mad Max" is supposed to do right now - it doesn't make the lane changes more aggressively, it is simply more aggressive at identifying when your speed is below your set limit and immediately suggesting to move to another lane (which can be unhelpful unless you normally drive that aggressively).

Good things:
  • Lane change recommendations seem to make sense
  • Red warning line has worked well and no indications of it attempting to make unsafe lane changes
  • Decent notification of when to move toward exit lanes
  • Somehow faithfully executed an exit off-ramp with an extreme curvature (albeit only at 25 MPH), but very unexpected that it finished the maneuver at all
Bad things:
  • Does not understand cars merging into the lane at all (this is kind of a big deal)
  • Less confident at lane keeping as it gets darker outside
  • Challenged by construction areas with barrier walls (likes to hug too close for comfort)
For me, the lack of perception for any and all lane merging is a big minus (you'll either need to proactively stay toward the left-most lane, or otherwise constantly toggle the feature on and off). But, it is big step up from what we had before. If they could get the lane merger thing figured out, it could be nearly fully autonomous on highways pretty soon.

Other overall version thoughts:
  • Auto-high beams still "alpha" and generally unsafe to use (too many false positives resulting in driving in too much darkness)
  • Auto-wipers improving and very good during the day (but nearly useless at night)

Reactions: ironwaffle
Just realized I posted this in a Model S thread instead of Model 3 but in general don't think that matters too much.

Here are my thoughts after driving 42.2 the past few days
The good
  • FM radio is markedly better then V8
  • Auto wipers seem more responsive and actually kept up in a driving rain. Normally I would have needed to revert to manual
  • I always try EAP on a local secondary road that has a very tight corner. Although it wasn't as smooth as a human would be it took the corner without me needing to take over. And in both directions.
  • Regen does feel stronger (RWD)
  • I like the fact the map remembers the last setting since I don't ever use North up
  • Dashcam still has errors but they are not as frequent
  • Summon initiated quicker and connected to the car much faster
The bad
  • EAP is fine but still tries to take exits if I'm in the right hand lane. Very surprised this hasn't been fixed since there have been so many complaints about it.
  • NoA for me is pretty much a disaster. I'd call it alpha not beta based on how poorly it has worked.
  • Several times NoA wants me to switch to the faster lane when I'm within a mile of the exit with the right hand lane already slowing down. Have had to manual move to the right hand lane.
  • Several of the exits have fairly tight lanes and to avoid hitting the standard lane cement barriers I took over. Not sure if I would have hit the barriers but too close for me.
  • Often when I've merged on the highway there was too much acceleration and got way too close to the car in front of us.
  • In general I've had to take over pretty much every time and cannot imagine what would have happened if Tesla had not required confirmation.
  • Summon would not work going into the garage. I have a small dip at the entrance where it stopped. Never had this problem before. Not a big issue since even with the "tight" setting I have to get in and get the closer to the front of the garage.
On a separate note I had a Model X P90D as a loaner so that Tesla could replace one of the cameras and a repeater in my Model 3. Having the 17" monitor so much lower then the portrait display in the Model 3 was a definite pain since you have to look further down driving the X which increases the level of driver distraction compared to the Model 3. The difference surprised me and I was very happy to use EAP and NoA on the 3 again.

Last edited:
I had similar thing happen with the A/C, it was cold inside the car and I had the temp set at 71, which usually gives me enough heat, but the A/C kept blowing col air. Then I turned it up to 75, still no heat, 80 nothing, then at HI finally started to feel some heat!! So strange, it did this couple of times and then seems to be all ok so far again!

Not sure if anyone else had this happen. If it hasn't then it's just one more issue...my car has all sorts of strange issues, per @P85_DA!:D

I've experienced the exact same problem in my S. Even at HI, the output is lukewarm. My car needs service soon so maybe I will mention it at that time.

Is that a typo, an exaggeration, or a real price you paid? I am confused. I got the X100 with most of the options, tax, license, registration, etc. and it was at least $25,000 less. What costs 150k?

Not disputing your point, just the sticker shock that got my attention.

you might want to ask what currency he's talking about :). I know my P85D with the Ludicrous upgrade was $150K new.... in CAD