Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course I know it. That is why I said it is not a big deal now. But it will be an issue once ULC goes live.

Your scenerio is diff. Right now it may suggest lane change when there is a car next to u, the dividing line turns red. Even if I confirm, it won't change lane until it is safe. The car clearly knows what is going on

In my case here, i actually confirmed lane change to HOV lane thru double yellow lines. The car complied before I cancelled it.

Are you saying it will auto lane change across those solid HOV lines if you let it? It won't cross solid white line to HOV in Arizona (which is legal and only way to get in) and it's my biggest pet peeve about NOA/Autopilot. I have this ability to be in this lane and bypass traffic and it cannot route me to it. First world problems, I know!

First, the bad—NoA would have missed an off ramp from one highway to another had I not taken over manually. Challenging circumstances for NoA, as the exit lane exists for only a few hundred feet there

Where I drive, almost every exit lane exists for only a couple hundred feet. "A few" hundred feet would be a luxury. This is not unusual in many parts of the country, and in many parts of the world. The point of having a map is knowing where the exit is and being ready to take it, but NoA doesn't even start signaling to take an exit until it has detected the exit lane both in front of it and (it appears) behind it, by which point it is way too late.

On the other hand, the good—AP is improved, particularly with merges. One of the longstanding AP problem areas is dealing with traffic merging into the Tesla’s lane from the left (e.g., traveling in an HOV lane, which is the leftmost, with an express lane emptying into your HOV lane). Today in that very scenario, AP recognized a car travelling down a ramp that was going to merge with the lane I was in, then slowed down by about 15 mph to let that car go ahead and then filled in behind it in the merged lane. I was extemely impressed

I have still never seen it handle this as you describe, not even once. I have always had to take over to avoid hitting cars merging into my lane, or to make room for cars to merge in from entrance ramps.

The vast majority of Tesla's training data appears to be from California. Sucks for the rest of us.

Are you saying it will auto lane change across those solid HOV lines if you let it? It won't cross solid white line to HOV in Arizona (which is legal and only way to get in) and it's my biggest pet peeve about NOA/Autopilot. I have this ability to be in this lane and bypass traffic and it cannot route me to it. First world problems, I know!
That's what I find curious... I've not heard of this behavior from anyone else. Quite the contrary, actually....
Can anyone else replicate this?

You're not getting mocked or joshed on here, just don't make statements that it's only 1 way here in Cali when its not. Here's a prime example of my way into work on 2 different SoCal frw's this morning. Triples and quad white lines!

AP1 with 42.2 works great so far!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! :p

Attachments

• 20181031_080531.jpg
    20181031_080531.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20181031_080509.jpg
    20181031_080509.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 73
So far not overly impressed with Navigate on Autopilot. I engaged autopilot while on an onramp to the expressway. There was a car comfortably behind mine to the rear left, and another in front of me exiting (the onramp continues parallel to the highway and eventually converts to an offramp for the next exit). Despite signaling, the car was not going to change lanes onto the expressway without me intervening. It was very hesitant, slowing down, and speeding up seemingly at random, but not committing to a lane change. Once on the highway, I had my speed set to 70 MPH. Driving behind a truck going 50 in the far right lane almost 3 miles from my exit in light traffic, and the car never suggested a lane change to overtake the truck. I had the speed based lane changes set to aggressive. Instead I initiated a lane change myself. The car did suggest a lane change back to the right lane as I approached my exit, but then immediately began slowing down on the high way, dropping my speed below 50 MPH, despite my speed being set at 70 MPH and no vehicles in front of me and being approximately .5 miles away from my exit. I had to take over to avoid getting rear ended, re-engaged auto pilot, but the system then disengaged navigate on auto pilot before taking my exit.

Overall, pretty stressful to have to compensate for the software at this point. I can only assume this will improve over time.

Others have mentioned that the IC vehicle displays seemed less choppy, and more confident. I did not find that to be the case.

Used Nav on AutoPilot again yesterday and this morning. Here are my experiences:

Yesterday Nav on Autopilot worked as I imagine Tesla envisions (290 from Laramie to 3800 Independence in Chicago). I engaged NOA as I entered the highway onramp. I was asked to confirm a merge onto the expressway (note, this merge is a combination on-ramp from Laramie and off-ramp to Cicero - this may be of importance). The vehicle stayed in the right lane for the three miles or so to my exit. It could have changed lanes to the center lanes to maintain my speed, but it did not. I still have the speed set to aggressive, perhaps I will try Mad Max to see if this changes this afternoon. When I approached my exit, the car signaled and took the exit as expected and then disengaged NOA, leaving me with regular autopilot (this exit was a single exit, not combined with an on-ramp). It came to a stop at the car in front of me at the intersection.

This morning was a different ball of wax (90 from Diversey to Laramie exit on 290 in Chicago). I engaged NOA on the onramp from Diversey. The merge was a simple on-ramp style merge, and the vehicle merged onto the expressway without signaling. The car stayed in the right lane, and significantly decreased its speed as it approached an off ramp on the right. Not sure if the GPS thought I was in the exit lane, but it began to slow as if that were the case. I manually switched lanes to continue my trip at my preferred speed. As the car approached my interchange, I was prompted to switch lanes to the right, which I did without issue. Despite the interchange from 90 to 290 being under construction, the car handled the interchange. It also notified me on the IC that construction was detected at that NOA capabilities might be diminished. The merge from 90 to 290 is EXTREMELY short, and I was nervous about the cars ability to handle it. Luckily there were no vehicles to contend with and the merge occurred as expected. There is a construction divide in the highway, and I believe I accidentally disengaged EAP by trying to coax the car right. As I approached my exit, the car disengaged NOA (as it did yesterday) and I had to manually exit (this exit was a single exit, not combined with an on-ramp).

A big thanks to all those testing NAV on Autopilot. From the reports here, I won't be trying it any time soon. Actually, since I don't drive anywhere that lots of lane changes are needed, the feature does not interest me, except to follow the progress of autopilot.

An unsettling incident today: I was driving on AP (not NAV) in town and turned on my blinker to tell the car to change lanes. The lane to my right was clear but there was a car a very safe distance back. My car started to make the change and then swerved sharply back into my lane. I had to take over and make the lane change. There was no excuse for my car to begin the lane change and then swerve back, because nothing about the situation changed from the time I turned on the blinker until the time the car decided to swerve back. And I really don't think it should have rejected a lane change with that much space available.

When lane changes are not considered, I'd say AP is now a better driver than I am, and it does lane changes very smoothly when it is not under-estimating the space available.

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
My apologies... You originally only stated that it suggested the lane change to you, and that it was a good thing that you have to confirm, otherwise it would have made an illegal lane change.

Now you are saying that it did indeed make an illegal lane change.... Good to know....
When I said late it did made an illegal lane change, it was a test. During the test , I purposely confirmed the illegal lane change so that I can see if the car actually merged. It did and then I abandoned it about a qtr into the HOV lane.

Sorry for the confusion

My X w/EAP 2 has been running 42.2 with NOA for a couple of days now.

While I'm gathering more experience with NOA-guided on/off ramp behavior, one irritation that's surfaced during my drives is that the AP phantom brakes more often when approaching an overpass. NOT cool while driving at highway speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus

While I'm gathering more experience with NOA-guided on/off ramp behavior, one irritation that's surfaced during my drives is that the AP phantom brakes more often when approaching an overpass. NOT cool while driving at highway speeds.

Interesting and I believe you.

I found 42.2 has less phantom braking for me. To me, 39.6 was a backward on phantom braking. Since I drive on HOV lane quite often, it means I am traveling at higher speed than other lanes. On 39.6, it often phantom brakes under this very specific scenario: My car is on a curving lane. My next lane is at a (or almost) complete stop. if there is a white truck sitting on the next lane, my car would phantom brake. It happens so often that I learned to put my feet on the accelerator in case it actually happens.

On 42.2, this problem seems to go away, but need to more driving to confirm

I got 42.2 last night. Updated from 40. The NoA option was not available and was not listed in the release notes. I know others have this same issue. After the update I went for a 50 mile drive (using AP 99% of the time) thinking the cameras needed more calibrating. Still nothing. I rebooted and MCU and IC. Still nothing. I did the Power Off option in Controls, waited 5+ minutes and still nothing. This morning there was still no option before I left for work and nothing after I got to work. I called Tesla and they said there were no alerts coming from the car. They said I had the correct maps. I asked if they could tell if all the cameras were calibrated and the tech said he could not see that level of detail. After putting me on hold for a bit he came back and said that a senior tech said that it could take 24+ hours after installing 42.2 before that feature will present itself. So now I'm waiting until tomorrow.

I've read on here that others have installed the update and the NoA feature was ready immediately. So the 24+ hour wait does not make any sense. From looking at TeslaFi, it appears that the vast majority of 42.2 updates have been from cars that were still on V8 and getting V9 for the first time. I was already running V9 since 39.6 (and 40). I wonder if this has anything to do with it?? For those that the NoA feature was not present after installing 42.2, did you already have an earlier V9 update or was this your first V9 update?

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
So the 24+ hour wait does not make any sense.
Sounds very much like a "get this guy off the phone" response to me.

From looking at TeslaFi, it appears that the vast majority of 42.2 updates have been from cars that were still on V8 and getting V9 for the first time. I was already running V9 since 39.6 (and 40). I wonder if this has anything to do with it?? For those that the NoA feature was not present after installing 42.2, did you already have an earlier V9 update or was this your first V9 update?

Anecdotal but this is my experience as well, I upgraded from 39.6 (was not offered .40).

• Informative
Reactions: stillandbox
Anecdotal but this is my experience as well, I upgraded from 39.6 (was not offered .40).
Well, that makes 2 of us then. Not exactly an indicator of anything but interesting. I posted this over in the X forum since there is a thread dedicated to this.
USA S/W 42.2 19e7e44 but no NoA

Also, I had my screen replaced last week. Not sure if that means that the MCU was replaced as well. Someone over on the X forum said that tech support indicated that maps had to be re-downloaded when that happens.

A couple nights ago I backed into a space in front of a store with huge glass windows. When I put it in drive to leave my IC showed a car behind me, it was my X's own reflection :D
Only a few species recognize themselves in a mirror. Humans, gorillas, orangutans, elephants, maybe some cetaceans. The rest do not.

It seems the Tesla will need to evolve more before reaching this level of sentience.

• Funny
Reactions: PaulJohn and Holo
Sounds very much like a "get this guy off the phone" response to me.

I installed 42.2 last night - up from 39.7 - and did not drive at all, just left the car in the garage overnight. NoA was available the minute I backed out of the garage this AM to drive to work.

Now if I can just find the time to figure out how to use it correctly!!

That's what I find curious... I've not heard of this behavior from anyone else. Quite the contrary, actually....
Can anyone else replicate this?

Absolutely. With 2018.39.6 this past Sunday driving to the AZ Cardinals game on 101 I could not get my X to lane change into the HOV lane with just a single solid white line between the lanes. I tried several times. No problems having AP change lanes across the normal traffic lanes. I had to force the steering wheel and drop out of Autosteer in order to change into or out of the HOV lane.

It hasn't always been like that. Hopefully "fixed" in 2018.42.2 which I now have but haven't tried yet.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG
Only a few species recognize themselves in a mirror. Humans, gorillas, orangutans, elephants, maybe some cetaceans. The rest do not.

It seems the Tesla will need to evolve more before reaching this level of sentience.

O.K. RLC3, I gotta know, what do you do for a living? I would hazard that not 5% of the US population knows what cetaceans are though they would readily know whales and dolphins.

Received 42.2 last night and took it for a test drive this afternoon in medium traffic. Navigate on Autopilot was completely useless for me. No matter how close I was to the exit, the car kept prompting me to get into the carpool lane. I was also subject to random slowdowns / braking periodically for no obvious fault or reason. (This is different from phantom braking, where it tends to occur near a freeway overpass or overhead sign.) The worst part was that the car constantly bombarded me with chimes and messages about clicking the stalk to change lanes, applying light force to the steering wheel, and that the car was attempting a maneuver. It was a huge unnecessary distraction. The combination of these issues makes Navigate on Autopilot a danger to use and I will not activate it again until I see significant improvement.

What were the engineers thinking?

• Informative
Reactions: rnortman
Not really related, but just wanted to make the observation that whenever someone uses the term "blind spot", I read that as "I can't be bothered to learn to properly adjust my mirrors". The Model S does not HAVE a blind spot. I haven't driven a MX or M3, but I'll wager they don't have one either.

(place Dislikes here:rolleyes:)

Yes, yet, I think of the blind spot another way. An area that most every car has unless having one of those add-on wide view external mirrors. It is the occasion where someone moves into the real quarter panel of the car from another farther lane over and hard to see them until they are practically already in the lane even when the mirror is adjusted properly. I'm surprised at how many people do that. If I move into that lane at the same time they do, then $#%*$*&@. Of course you know that the person behind is going to get upset and blame the person in front for moving into the lane ahead of them.