Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the new font. It seems that their is more depth to forward view which will be more critical when V11 arrives. The smaller font allows the critical displays like speed etc to be captured by the naked eye in an instant. I think it is a well thought out improvement. My age is 81 and I do not need the Readers Digest large print. They know what they are doing.

So in summary this interface is designed by twenty-somethings who take rideshare to work, have never driven a vehicle, never want to drive a vehicle, and they don't need to use reading glasses yet.

And he seems also to have never checked the screen he designed.
You can build a farm in the real estate that has been freed, but the pop-up trip window partially cover the car.

PATHETIC.

1609244920213.jpg

I enjoy this thread so much!

I didn't know that so many in the US driver with bad eyesight!

I have 20/20 corrected vision but the new display in the M3 is ridiculous. Why make the map smaller to increase the car info display and then shrink down the info on that display resulting in more blank white space? The battery icon is tiny and now just shades of gray. Have you ever driven an ICE car with the gas guage smaller than a dime? Why is it so small? They could have made it two inches long and displayed it vertically in the upper right. There is nothing there but white space anyway.

Also, I haven't seen this mentioned but the energy bar across the top that shows when you are using charge vs regenerating is now thinner and looks like it's a single pixel tall. It is impossible to see how many "dots" you have indicating lack of regeneration. This is valuable info that is now not possible to see with a quick glance at the screen.

Again, all that do complain here : please also complain at your tesla dealership, email, app support ticket, etc.

This has to make it to the top, and quick. With Elon on holiday in Hawaï, (ho sorry, I meant in a "meeting" with Larry) nothing is gonna change before next year, but let's make his mailbox full when he leaves Larry's private Island.

Again, all that do complain here : please also complain at your tesla dealership, email, app support ticket, etc.

This has to make it to the top, and quick. With Elon on holiday in Hawaï, (ho sorry, I meant in a "meeting" with Larry) nothing is gonna change before next year, but let's make his mailbox full when he leaves Larry's private Island.

How do you find an email address to complain about this? I couldn't find anything on the Tesla website.

Count me in the "I don't like the smaller fonts" group - but I will say this - if we're stuck with them, can we at least get the full timestamp back on the display(hh:mm day month year) , and not just the time? I often drive so fast, I warp the time-space continuum and I find it soothing to see what day and year the car thinks it has traveled to!

Sorry Tesla but there are zero improvements other than novelty stuff that wears off after a while (yes Boombox is hilarious). For the first time, I have a feeling of regret owning a car that has updates. I never thought there could be such a major step backwards with the driver driver information display. The speed font is way too small, the battery icon (fuel gauge) is less readable, the power consumption/regen line is smaller. These are the 3 things I look at most and now they require slightly more of my attention. Other status icons now blocked by the drivers hand, depending on seating position, driver height, etc is completely unacceptable. It’s as if it were designed for the front passenger. The driving visualizations are larger now and they are distracting and more likely to remove the driver’s attention from the road. Essentially this is a safety downgrade. I wish I could say there was a single improvement to the driver information display but I can’t think of one. Even the car itself is distracting in my case because the (blue) car colour is so far off the actual colour which was properly represented before and still is correct in the software section (previously Tesla T).

Ok, now my rant is done. Fingers crossed that Tesla reads this thread

I think it would be interesting to know the number of Tesla owners that will ever use FSD. Unless you have a soul crushing commute why give up driving a car that's really fun to drive. If the % of FSD users is small, why do the non-FSDers have to live w the compromises (like the latest update) entail?
Thoughts?
Why give up driving to a car that can't drive itself and likely never will be able to because it's a camera based Level 2 adaptive cruise control with lane-keeping system (with admittedly extremely broad engagement parameters) that can be rendered inoperative by a bright light or a cloud of flies or a splash of mud? This is a separate discussion from the .26 update obviously, but I think we are an entire hardware suite, or two (and a half-decade, or two) away from Tesla delivering an actual self-driving car that can operate wtihin limited map and networking environments. I think it's pretty clear by now that the system as currently constituted isn't going to get there.

The cars are very good, fundamentally. That's why I bought one. It's a good car. The adaptive cruise with auto stop/start and lane keeping, as it's marketed by almost every other company selling a similar system, is good. The $4 no wait $6 no $8 no no it's $10,000 or wait maybe it's a subscription service "party tricks plus maybe one day not touching the steering wheel on a drive as long as the cameras are clean but won't go with the car because we'll strip it out of the car remotely if you buy a car that's been auctioned" package seems like PT-Barnum stuff to me

We've had Teslas in the family for a while now and those other cars are also Good Cars. But they're still just cars, they aren't robotaxis or mars transporters. I've had the X for a month and had two updates and both were improvements. Improvement isn't a straight line, you can tell by looking at Tesla, lol

Last edited:
Also, I haven't seen this mentioned but the energy bar across the top that shows when you are using charge vs regenerating is now thinner and looks like it's a single pixel tall. It is impossible to see how many "dots" you have indicating lack of regeneration. This is valuable info that is now not possible to see with a quick glance at the screen.

Model 3 owner here. Yes, even though I'm aware of how much I'm pressing down on the accelerator pedal, I still very much liked to see how much power (black) or regen (green) was being used. While I thought the pre-update energy bar was a bit thin'ish, with this new update, like most have mentioned, it looks like it's barely 1 pixel high, making it extremely difficult to see.

I didn't really notice the font for the speed being smaller if it wasn't mentioned here. But now that I know, I can't "unsee" that it does look smaller now. I definitely preferred the speed being in the middle of the display, along with all the other icons being the way they were pre-update. Seems like it's too cluttered now with speed, auto-pilot/cruise speed, autopilot on/off and road speed limit all being in the same line.

I also noticed that the car avatar color (blue, in my case) looks waaay too light blue and doesn't match the car color in the "About" page, as noted below:

20201228_161134_resized blacked out VIN.jpg

-- Cintoman

It’s as if it were designed for the front passenger.
Can’t deny this one! They even make sure that the games are playable while driving.

If Tesla’s decisions are based on pandering to who they think will pony up the money to buy the next Tesla, it looks like they’re betting on the 25 year old passenger being the up and coming buyer.

I have kept up my promise of tweeting at Elon every day. I have linked this thread, this video, and posted pics. I’ve also requested service to re-load the old software.

Please, all of you, do the same.

Regarding how to complain:
I tried to schedule a service appointment to have “update” reversed for my 2018 M3 LR. Got message saying “once a vehicle is updated, there is no going back to old firmware unfortunately” and cancelling the appointment. At least my request was registered I guess...

I did the same with similar results. I was told that my comments about the software would be forwarded to the engineering team for feedback.