Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar happenings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar Cell Technology Information
...Thin Film Technologies
Imagine if a PV cell was made with a microscopically thin deposit of silicon, instead of a thick wafer. It would use very little of the precious material. Now, imagine if it was deposited on a sheet of metal or glass, without the wasteful work of slicing wafers with a saw. Imagine the individual cells deposited next to each other, instead of being mechanically assembled. That is the idea behind thin film technology. (It is also called amorphous, meaning "not crystalline".) The active material may be silicon, or it may be a more exotic material such as cadmium telluride.

Thin film panels can be made flexible and light weight by using plastic glazing. Some flexible panels can tolerate a bullet hole without failing. Some of them perform slightly better than crystalline modules under low light conditions. They are also less susceptible to power loss from partial shading of a module.

The disadvantages of thin film technology are lower efficiency and uncertain durability. Lower efficiency means that more space and mounting hardware is required to produce the same power output. Thin film materials tend to be less stable than crystalline, causing degradation over time. The technology is being greatly improved, however, so I do not wish to generalize in this article. We will be seeing many new thin film products introduced in the coming years, with efficiency and warranties that may approach those of crystalline silicon.

PV experts generally agree that crystalline silicon will remain the "premium" technology for critical applications in remote areas. Thin film will be strong in the "consumer" market where price is a critical factor. As usual, you get what you pay for...

Found this really useful tool on the European Union website:

Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) home

Great Google Maps based system for sizing your PV array.

What it shows is that even here in sunny ol' England with a system that was non-tracking and laying down flat on a roof, average solar irradiance is 1020 kWh/m sq - or put another away, an array of under 4m sq would generate enough power to charge a Roadster for 10,000 miles per year (which is typical average mileage).

A bit of an eye opener.

A Graveyard For Our Solar-Powered Future, In Spain - io9.com

500x_ap0811210108149.jpg

According to Bloomberg, Spain is choking off its massive investment in solar power, which involves subsidies and investment guarantees for solar plants, because Standard and Poors just lowered the country's debt rating and there are fears it'll be tarred with the same brush as the calamity-prone Greeks...

They're not just cutting back on future guarantees, but weaseling out on promises they made to existing projects. In the end, Spain's solar power industry may be doomed...

A place called Anglers Avenue Marine Center located in Dania Beach, Florida is building large grid-tied solar system. Friend of mine happened to be flying by in a helicopter and spotted a roof full of solar panels. Then I went up with him later to take some pictures. Today I stopped by to talk with people there, but general manager was not there. He would be able to tell me specifics of this system. The inverter installed is PVPowered 75 KW unit. It looks like there are 192 panels installed, but they look smaller than usual 3'x6' 190W - 210W panels. So I guess there are about 20 KW of PV installed so far. Inverter had nothing lit up on the display, so I assume it is not operating yet. Here is a set on flickr with pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31659572@N04/sets/72157624203903487/

BTW, this place is only 2 miles or so North from Tesla Motors South Florida store.

More updates and tech discussion on this install will take place here: http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?t=8431

Click on pictures below to open larger:

4665226246_2792b1aaff_m.jpg

4722332749_5ba07dc93f_m.jpg

4722986688_ba921af58f_m.jpg

Inside baseball

How do they get that kind of funding without some data? I want to see a white paper. Comparisons to thin film and standard Solar panels. Their selling point is "off axis". Let's see a study.

I wanted to email them about this but all they had was a sales page.
You obviously weren't on the in for venture capital investment. They're not going to make such tech data public to mere customers etc. unless they go for an IPO.

You might do a search on patents if you're truly interested, but since the true purpose of patents is to make information available to the world (with a "slight" delay) they may be working without any, counting on secrecy. It may be they have no new art or technology to patent, just counting on jumping on a big first-to-market advantage to monopolize marketing and commercial use of the idea for a while.

Not news, but an interesting postulation.
Quick Trip to Grid Parity with New Solar Distribution Channels
Oct 22, 2009

Hmmm. Seems like our solar industry’s crystal ball is a bit blurry these days.
That adds up to $3.50/watt – a price point at which existing tax credits and high electric rates would provide sufficient economic justification on their own.
The technology changes that will get us to this low price all relate to drastically simplifying the sales, design, engineering and installation costs for a system.
The solar (and all other tax-supported) technologies better pray to all the gods that, despite accelerating positive results, focusfusion.org comes a cropper. Because if it succeeds, it will be licensing a 5MW generator design for w-w manufacture that will cost ~<$250,000 FOB factory door. Within <5 years. Even if you double that for installation and hookup, that's $0.10/W. And the marginal cost of the output would be almost entirely remote monitoring labor and salary for a few engineering/technologist types per 5-10 installations, amounting to maybe ¼¢/kwh.

Anyone saving up paycheck to paycheck to install 1 kw of solar at a time on their rooftops at >$3.50 a watt will be a candidate for the rubber room. :rolleyes::tongue: Only installed sunk-cost solar installations will be worth keeping. They'll be theft-proof, though, because they'll have only scrap resale value.

You obviously weren't on the in for venture capital investment. They're not going to make such tech data public to mere customers etc. unless they go for an IPO.

You might do a search on patents if you're truly interested, but since the true purpose of patents is to make information available to the world (with a "slight" delay) they may be working without any, counting on secrecy. It may be they have no new art or technology to patent, just counting on jumping on a big first-to-market advantage to monopolize marketing and commercial use of the idea for a while.

Thanks Brian,

Nice to have answers in this thread.

Solydra's not doing so hot, actually. They recently canceled their IPO and changed CEOs. The PV material they're using is CIGS based, but their product isn't that efficient given it's geometry. Their main benefit is cost of installation.

Folks in the industry tell me none of the companies using CIGS are doing particularly well. Seems silicon is still king.