Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems odd that unless the EV is at home all day its not possible to combined cheap EV charging with a good rate for PV export. So tarrif will need switching between winter and summer.

However I like normal rate import on flex being a little lower then peak rate export as it removes the risk of giving all battery content back to the grid at peak time, but wish they would net off import/exports at peak time so can just dump complete battery content to grid.

(Having a separate meter for the garage so the car can be on a different tariff seems unnecessary complex but they are pushing people in that direction.)

It seems odd that unless the EV is at home all day its not possible to combined cheap EV charging with a good rate for PV export. So tarrif will need switching between winter and summer.

However I like normal rate import on flex being a little lower then peak rate export as it removes the risk of giving all battery content back to the grid at peak time, but wish they would net off import/exports at peak time so can just dump complete battery content to grid.

(Having a separate meter for the garage so the car can be on a different tariff seems unnecessary complex but they are pushing people in that direction.)
You can also look at it that there is no point diverting solar to the car, as you get paid more to give that to the grid compared to charging your car overnight.

I am starting to think that with the direction Octipus is moving in I need any home battery systems to be able to complete charge/discharge in 3 hours hence would for the size I think of needing 8kw charging/discharging.

It would be so much easier if I could put a 2nd hand 40kwh Leaf on a 10kw plus V2H charger...... Having the additional capacity would make Agile Tarrif so much easier to control.

Reactions: PITA
But you can't get the good PV export rate if on GO or IO. And on Flex you only get 3rd hours of the low overnight late, so not long enough to charge many cars.
3 hours is 90 miles a day, unless you are exceeding that on subsequent days you can catch up. Even if you need more you could consider it costing 11p, the difference between the daytime generation and consumption. A 4hr charge on go would be £4.20 factoring in generation at 4p, or 35p total for the same on flux. Assuming you generate 28kw, which admittedly is quite a lot.

Doesn't appear to exclude Powerwall owners. However, the three hour off-peak period is insufficient to charge an empty Powerwall to 100%, at least in my circumstances where Powerwall charge/discharge is limited to 16 amps.

So not particularly attractive for the winter months.

As above, how do you control your PW exporting? Sure you're not explicitly excluded, but if you can't control export, there's no benefit whatsoever to being on it?

Think of a winter 35kwh use per day mostly in the daytime due to a heatpump
The PV export rate in summer is also more than GO or IO
Maybe there are some circumstances where it works. In winter our solar and battery are sized to just avoid peak power and in summer they are sized to be independent of the grid, but not give them anything. We too have heat pumps, and they need a fair amount of power in the summer to keep us cool when it is 35-40C outside.

3 hours is 90 miles a day, unless you are exceeding that on subsequent days you can catch up. Even if you need more you could consider it costing 11p, the difference between the daytime generation and consumption. A 4hr charge on go would be £4.20 factoring in generation at 4p, or 35p total for the same on flux. Assuming you generate 28kw, which admittedly is quite a lot.
Ok for summer but no little daytime generation to export in winter.

I thought TEP also had a 9kwp limit? If you had more than that you needed an additional powerwall.

As for effectivness - its less good if you need to charge fully off peak - but then as well as hours, the price isn't great. But if you expect to have significant export potential you'd be charging the battery off that then exporting.

Its an odd one - at first glance appears a very seasonal tariff. You either game the system by bouncing around and only jump on when spring properly hits and jump back onto something else at the end of autumn, or your factor in the entire year in your maths which could get complicated