Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing the solar modeling in the Loop app using my half hourly meter reading I am totally convinced about having a battery as even at this time of year it nearly doubles the self use from the small PV array they assume.

Looking at live usage data, my washing machine goes from nearly 1kw when it is spinning to very little every few minutes while rinsing, so without a battery it would import most of the power from the grid even if the PV had enough output for the total half hour usage. Likewise with cooking at lunch time.

It easy to get higher payments for sending power to the grid if a battery is used so power is sent mostly between 5pm and 7pm, likewise electricity cost for import is highest between 5pm and 7pm. So I would size a battery so in winter using a overnight charge we did not need to import before 9pm on all but the lowerest PV days. Interesting a heatpump only seems to work for us if we have a large battery to run the heatpump on cheap rate electricity.

Its disappointing how little automatic integration with Octopus Agile is fully supported by inverter vendors.

This logic would also support getting even a small battery. So if finances don’t allow a big one that you think would take you through your entire night - an ‘averaging’ battery as a solar buffer of even 2.5kwh could be practical to up your self-consumption during the day. Get a modular system and you can then expand later when finances allow

Reactions: ringi and Avendit
After seeing the solar modeling in the Loop app using my half hourly meter reading I am totally convinced about having a battery as even at this time of year it nearly doubles the self use from the small PV array they assume.

Looking at live usage data, my washing machine goes from nearly 1kw when it is spinning to very little every few minutes while rinsing, so without a battery it would import most of the power from the grid even if the PV had enough output for the total half hour usage. Likewise with cooking at lunch time.

It easy to get higher payments for sending power to the grid if a battery is used so power is sent mostly between 5pm and 7pm, likewise electricity cost for import is highest between 5pm and 7pm. So I would size a battery so in winter using a overnight charge we did not need to import before 9pm on all but the lowerest PV days. Interesting a heatpump only seems to work for us if we have a large battery to run the heatpump on cheap rate electricity.

Its disappointing how little automatic integration with Octopus Agile is fully supported by inverter vendors.
I've got about 10kWh of useable battery and it's pretty much the sweet spot for me. I use a combination of Home Assistant, Solcast Solar forecast and a Inverter Modbus integration to charge the battery on cheap rate over night to a level that still allows maximum amount of excess solar during the day to go into the battery. This week have had my first two off grid days of the year where my automation decided there was no need to charge the battery overnight on Intelligent Octopus as the next days solar would meet all house load and charge the battery.
Screenshot_20230211_074150_Home Assistant.jpg

would be curious what you use to calculate what % to charge to.

I'm using Solcast - tell it area, orientation, pitch of panel and Lat/Long and it shows prediction of kW (for next 3 days). Its prediction, for following day, at the start of Off Peak is better than anything else I've found ... I then adjust based on how it changes during the morning (e.g. to discharge from Battery after Off Peak but before Sun Up if its prediction of Solar for the day is more than I had expected / allowed for / have battery space for!)

Note that its download data uses a more recent algorithm than the snazzy online graphs that it shows, so probably need to favour the downloadable data

Free for up to 2 configurations (well .. "Per reigistered email address" :) )

solcast.com.au

Reactions: DaveNN and Mrklaw
I'm using Solcast - tell it area, orientation, pitch of panel and Lat/Long and it shows prediction of kW (for next 3 days). Its prediction, for following day, at the start of Off Peak is better than anything else I've found ... I then adjust based on how it changes during the morning (e.g. to discharge from Battery after Off Peak but before Sun Up if its prediction of Solar for the day is more than I had expected / allowed for / have battery space for!)

Note that its download data uses a more recent algorithm than the snazzy online graphs that it shows, so probably need to favour the downloadable data

Free for up to 2 configurations (well .. "Per reigistered email address" :) )

solcast.com.au

I think I have solcast but it only shows me tomorrows data on the energy graph. I‘ll have a look as I pull the next day figure for my own energy home page to help with a figure (rather than the graph) and if it gave me a couple extra days it’d be handy.

edit just checked and I’ve even set up my north array even though it doesn’t exist yet. I guess I was doing that to help evaluate viability

I think I have solcast but it only shows me tomorrows data on the energy graph

This is what I see on their online graphs

SolCast01.gif

This is what today looked like as-of 9PM yesterday:

SolCast02.gif

Didn't turn out quite like that! But the PV I have had has meant battery has only lost 4% from 08:45 - 12:30, my normal daytime battery consumption is 9% per hour

The Actuals may adjust over the coming days (presumably as any of their, delayed, data sources arrive). Each download includes a rolling last-72-hours (i.e. including late-adjustments, if any) and 72-hours forward

Shaded is the range of doubt about predictions - so the white bit should be certain, the shaded bit is the possible range, and the line is "current prediction of most likely". I would imagine it is Standard Deviation 95% degree of confidence jobbie

Givenergy dashboard presents the data is much more user friendly

I'd be interested to see an example of their prediction for "tomorrow" please

Reactions: ringi
Thanks, interesting that Givenergy are using Solcast :) ... and I like their -3, -2, ... today ... +2, +3 button presentation

Presumable for "Yesterday", or earlier, you get a blue line for the Solcast "Pseudo Actual", and a yellow line for your real actual PV - the extent to which they agree ... or not! ... over time would be interesting :)

I need the Solcast degree-of-confidence too because that influences what my system will attempt to do "tomorrow".

I think this is what he's talking about, but I think you have to be on full agile, which is quite brave?

Does not need full agile but can't be combined with "GO" or "IO" but you can swap what you are on between summer and winter.

Didn't realise that Tesla was exiting the UK market in relation to their Tesla Energy Plan?
I'm not sure it really appealed to too many people. I've not yet got a PW, they're on order... but it really didn't appeal to me. Indeed, as someone once said on youtube... and I think they were right... when you have the same import and export rate, the grid is your battery. At which point, what was the point having one?

You might have noticed the new Octopus Flux tariff designed for PV/Battery peeps, for example:

Day Rate - 34p import, 22p export
Flux 2am-5am - 20.4p import, 9.4p export
Peak 16:00-19:00 - 47.5p import, 36.5p export
45p standing charge.

Expect if you've big batteries and solar there's a fair bit to be made there. My quandry is I'm pretty sure my DNO prohibits me exporting battery power (and so not sure how TEP would have worked anyway).

I'm not sure it really appealed to too many people. I've not yet got a PW, they're on order... but it really didn't appeal to me. Indeed, as someone once said on youtube... and I think they were right... when you have the same import and export rate, the grid is your battery. At which point, what was the point having one?

You might have noticed the new Octopus Flux tariff designed for PV/Battery peeps, for example:

45p standing charge.

Expect if you've big batteries and solar there's a fair bit to be made there. My quandry is I'm pretty sure my DNO prohibits me exporting battery power (and so not sure how TEP would have worked anyway).
Yes I saw the new flux rate, need to look at the numbers compared to Go ( currently on until July) - I have 19kWh batteries but generally empty them in the day.

If you have a heatpump and hence large winter electricity usage along with more yearly total PV generate then yearly electricity usage I can see it being very nice.

45p standing charge.

Seems too costly compared to Octopus IO for battery charging if running a heatpump over winter, for the peak heating season PV production will be minimal. Flux time is also too short to charge most battery systems in winter.