Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a multi layer foil equal to 250mm glass wool. I used it initially under our suspended floor when I had the underfloor pipes in air and the foil below that which stopped draughts and kept the heat in. Its just a leftover piece which covers the sides from the floor but doesn't cover the top. I was worried that it might be too warm, I'll cover the top of the cabinet next year. I guess any sort of insulation would do as long as it can be removed..it gets a lot warmer down south than it does up here :)

Reactions: HenryT
What a day! Powerwall fully charged at 100%, immersion heater has been on for zero cost, and the water is as hot as it can be, and now I'm using a SyncEV charger to top my M3 up by 12A, lovely day! Bought no power above 5p / kWh for 3 days now.

When we had our Solar Array and two Powerwalls installed this time last year, we had a run of Sunny weather.

We were in Self Powered Mode 100% for 6 weeks continuously... only broken by Smart Meters fitted as he wanted all power off. That 6 weeks with zero Grid Import.

April-May is a good month... strong sun, cool temps.

Good isn't it 😁😁😁

Reactions: Drew57 and RedMod3
When we had our Solar Array and two Powerwalls installed this time last year, we had a run of Sunny weather.

We were in Self Powered Mode 100% for 6 weeks continuously... only broken by Smart Meters fitted as he wanted all power off. That 6 weeks with zero Grid Import.

April-May is a good month... strong sun, cool temps.

Good isn't it 😁😁😁
We only generated 32kWh today and only having one Powerwall has its limitations. When we get our second Powerwall, I'll try going self powered, but we can't do that yet. This thread should be a mine of information for people considering battery storage and seeing the benefits. It is now 11pm and I'm discharging at 1.6kw with 46% left, do no peak power again today.:)

Yes, it isGOOD. 😁😁😂

We only generated 32kWh today and only having one Powerwall has its limitations. When we get our second Powerwall, I'll try going self powered, but we can't do that yet. This thread should be a mine of information for people considering battery storage and seeing the benefits. It is now 11pm and I'm discharging at 1.6kw with 46% left, do no peak power again today.:)

Yes, it isGOOD. 😁😁😂
Two PW’s don’t make a lot of difference in spring/summer, but you can top the car up from them when the sun goes down. The benefit is more in the winter.
only drawn 2KWh from the grid in the last fortnight and that’s just the PW’s balancing against the grid. I can’t get down lower than 1KWh/week.
8.30am and the PW‘s are starting to charge again with 77% left from yesterday.
39kWh yesterday and likely the same today 😁😁

Reactions: ElectricPolice
Had a fifty mile round trip to Thetford forest for a picnic today.
Topped up from 228 to 260 miles from the Powerwalls first thing and drove down there.
Whilst out, the Outlander got a 4kWh charge put some sun in the hot water tank and the PW’s filled right up from 57%.
got home with 216 in the tank and filled up to 232 miles from solar
Cheap day out. Cost zippo 😁
Plus FIT and export paid me for going. Solar panels defo worth it!

I have no problem injecting power to the grid when I can’t absorb any more.
Yes, I get paid pennies for it but I’m contributing to balancing the grid and reducing emissions, so there’s still That Smug Feeling™️
I get paid nothing to inject into the grid, so I try and inject nothing. Today was a struggle as I had to again charge the Tesla and heat the water tank to max to avoid donating. The icing was the £5 PIT payments I am due for each of today and tomorrow.

But, tomorrow will be cloudy.

Didn’t think you could get octopus if you have one of their smart plans?
I'm on Octopus Go and Octopus SEG... and Octopus Gas Variable

Screenshot_20220417-090233_Octopus.jpg

Screenshot_20220417-090240_Octopus.jpg

Looks like another nice Sunny Day ahead.

Wound the Powerwalls down yesterday into Self-Powered mode... and left the car uncharged so got enough capacity for a couple of good Solar Days

Bring on the sun juice 😀

View attachment 794526

View attachment 794525
That’s 50% more than the 3p I’m getting from Bulb so will contact Octopus.
Thank you all for the tip! :)

Why don’t you join a Smart Export Guarantee contract? Surely being paid 3p/kWh is better than nothing?
We get 20p per kWh from our 4kW array, of which 50% is deemed exported. As much as I'd like to double-dip, we are G100 compliant with no PW export and we cannot apply for extra export payments.

In any case yesterday our bill for all power was 72p including the standing charge, and I begrudgingly exported 0.7kWh to the grid as we temporarily exported while I got my M3P charged.