Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question if anyone with knowledge or experience can help.
I'm looking at placing an order for a solar system with 2 x8.2kW batteries, and a givenergy 5.0 hybrid inverter.
My question: Is the charge rate to the batteries limited to 2.5kW/hr total or 2 X2.5kW/hr together from the solar, or more importantly from the grid?
The reason for asking is winter/poor generation and taking advantage of the cheap 4 hour window of Octopus Go. If it's the former the batteries wouldn't achieve full capacity from depletion.

Thanks in advance!

I have a question if anyone with knowledge or experience can help.
I'm looking at placing an order for a solar system with 2 x8.2kW batteries, and a givenergy 5.0 hybrid inverter.
My question: Is the charge rate to the batteries limited to 2.5kW/hr total or 2 X2.5kW/hr together from the solar, or more importantly from the grid?
The reason for asking is winter/poor generation and taking advantage of the cheap 4 hour window of Octopus Go. If it's the former the batteries wouldn't achieve full capacity from depletion.

Thanks in advance!
Depends on your batteries. Best is to look up the specs online, although I had to get help from people here to I'd the make of thes I'm getting.

Reactions: 94jdh
The 5kW GivEnergy Hybrid will only charge / discharge from the battery/batteries at approx 2.5kW, having more than one battery won’t help.

The 8.2kWh batteries are actually quite a bit larger - they list as 8.2 so they can offer 100% depth of discharge.
Thanks for your input, that was my worry - I was hoping that it might only be limited 2.5kW per battery.

Prices - obviously every install is different.

For reference I’ve recently had:
20 x 330 Black Panels (with in roof trays)
1 x GivEnergy 5kWh Hybrid Inverter
2. GivEnergy 8.2kWh batteries

Total installed price £12,917

My install was straightforward - new roof on a large south facing outbuilding and a new consumer unit almost next to the inverter / batts.
Mine was for 14 x 400w panels, flat roof supports, 5kW inverter and 2 x 8.2kW batteries,
£11.5k

Thanks for your input, that was my worry - I was hoping that it might only be limited 2.5kW per battery.
I’m thinking of adding an additional grid tie 3kW inverter - this will give up to 5.5kWh input / output to/from the battery - it’ll still work out a lot cheaper than most other systems.

I’m going to leave it for 6 months and then work out in a spreadsheet how long the extra inverter would take to pay for itself.

Working out best setup / tariff - not all straightforward.

If you go for a few cheap hours overnight your outgoing rate is 7.5p, at the moment outgoing Agile (which can be selected without incoming agile pricing) is around 30p kWh during the day - peaking at 58p this evening.

I’m thinking of adding an additional grid tie 3kW inverter - this will give up to 5.5kWh input / output to/from the battery - it’ll still work out a lot cheaper than most other systems.

I’m going to leave it for 6 months and then work out in a spreadsheet how long the extra inverter would take to pay for itself.
You've just jogged my memory and checked my quote for another option I had for 3 x 8.2kW batteries - theres an extra 3kW AC coupled converter in this option but not on the quote for two batteries?

Last edited:
I’m not sure on panels as I live in Scotland and most of the time is overcast when I live. However, I am going to install storage batteries as that will save me money in the long run - charge them during cheap rate and then use them during the day. Cost of 13kwh battery - £6k. It’ll last for years.

Here's a 'typical' day for me
1646587431813.png

I use it to illustrate there are only a couple of short duration times when my grid import triggers because of the inverter's discharge cap. You really need to look at your own home's energy use profile to decide whether having >2.5kW charge capability is going to be worth the considerable bump in your capex costs.

Here's a 'typical' day for me
View attachment 777491

I use it to illustrate there are only a couple of short duration times when my grid import triggers because of the inverter's discharge cap. You really need to look at your own home's energy use profile to decide whether having >2.5kW charge capability is going to be worth the considerable bump in your capex costs.

I'm trying to use the underfloor electric heating in the kitchen hall etc. to offset the gas requirements - it does work quite well, but obviously now expensive with these spiralling rates.