Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One question I haven't been able to get answered reliably (and the Powerwall owners might be able to help me with!)

How do you stop the Powerwall draining into the car when you plug the car in for a charge?

i.e if I get a home solar setup with Powerwall, the solar charges the PW during the day, powers the house at night.
When I plug in the car at 2030 for the Go faster, I'd want the car charger to draw from the grid only and not the battery.

Is there a setting on PW that it doesn't discharge during off peak?
Like this, by not having the charger controlled by the Gateway; I have no objection to charging my Tesla at the off-peak rate.

Attachments

• Visio-Powerwall Circuit Ver 3a.gif
    Visio-Powerwall Circuit Ver 3a.gif
    252 KB · Views: 130
Annnnd there is the down side of the puredrive battery/so.energy solution.

Their islanding solution is to run up to 25A of critical loads direct from the battery, with a giant manual switch to move them over to the emergency supply if a cut happens. And it sounds like you can't charge from solar while the power is down?

Can the attached be bettered? It sounds like with a brown out the, although automated, gateway 2 solution still wouldn't be enough to run IT equipment from? Is the manual switch plus a small UPS a better idea?

Other than this everything looks good tho, so will probably sign up anyway and look to minimise the problems for powercuts.

Attachments

• Critical load circuits installation (1).pdf
    244.2 KB · Views: 57
How many power cuts do you get? I've been in this house about 25 years and had maybe 4 or 5. Are you running a business from home or just a geek? (geek here, but have learned to switch off :) )
Just a geek :-D. I just hate non-optimal solutions and having generation capacity that can't be used just because the grid is down seems very defeatist :D. We don't get much in the way of cuts (but not none) and I also have parents that live much more remotely which I have an eye on getting them set up eventually.

Like I said, probably going to sign anyway, but interested if anyone thinks there is any additional work I can do to improve the situation.

Reactions: init6
  • Funny
Reactions: Avendit
I have just received that ridiculous quotation from EGG (the phoenix work) for 12 normal standard solar panel from Trina and a Powerwall 2: £18,450 including 5% VAT. The same company has installed 1 month ago to my neighbour the same but with 13 panels and he has paid £17,500. Do you think what I think?!🙄🤨

I have just received that ridiculous quotation from EGG (the phoenix work) for 12 normal standard solar panel from Trina and a Powerwall 2: £18,450 including 5% VAT. The same company has installed 1 month ago to my neighbour the same but with 13 panels and he has paid £17,500. Do you think what I think?!🙄🤨
They send me quote few weeks ago for 8 panels + Powerwall2 for £14,500. Which I have found expensive. But this is ridiculous they add 4 more panels for £4,000, £1,000 per panels. What?!

I think we are looking at 22 panels and a 10kw battery for ~£13k! That must be some pretty good magic sauce in the PW's at these prices. Only 375w panels and a 10k battery, but a massive price difference?

Probably the prices of the 400w panels increasing, and the PW2s are very hard to get hold of. Possibly should look at a non tesla solution?

I think we are looking at 22 panels and a 10kw battery for ~£13k! That must be some pretty good magic sauce in the PW's at these prices. Only 375w panels and a 10k battery, but a massive price difference?

Probably the prices of the 400w panels increasing, and the PW2s are very hard to get hold of. Possibly should look at a non tesla solution?
I have got 2 other local company (accredited Tesla), I am now waiting there quotation. I like the Tesla battery. 5kwh throughput in and out the gateway 2 system to cover by using 100% of the battery of any energy outage, etc.... I have investigated during the last few weeks and I don't find another system similar. The thing that some company are happy to do rip your off and a lot people are ok with that. Why I will pay £8.5k to install 12 solar panel (not the high spec ones) and on the other hand for a similar spec done other ask you £4.5k. this is completely ridiculous and I will never accept that we the business. £8k to 9£k for the Tesla power wall, I am on with that because the battery is expensive. I thing that a acceptable price for 12 panels and 1 Powerwall should be more around £15k no more. I will see what will happen. 🙄

Reactions: Avendit
Take a peek at Pylontech batteries. US3000C, Approx £1k for 3.5kWh plus inverter fitting and cabinet. I just bought 5, 17.5kWh approx 16.5kWh useable. And a cabinet for £5300. I ready had a Victron inverter. (Approx £1500)
The Pylontechs are modular avd you can add up to 8 in each stack.
Combine this with Go (or Go faster ) I'm running the house on 5.4 to 6.9p/kWh
Hope this helps.

Take a peek at Pylontech batteries. US3000C, Approx £1k for 3.5kWh plus inverter fitting and cabinet. I just bought 5, 17.5kWh approx 16.5kWh useable. And a cabinet for £5300. I ready had a Victron inverter. (Approx £1500)
The Pylontechs are modular avd you can add up to 8 in each stack.
Combine this with Go (or Go faster ) I'm running the house on 5.4 to 6.9p/kWh
Hope this helps.
Any link? Thanks