Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not too hard to santiy check the quotes.

For example you can find out the wholesale price for panels somewhere like this: 415W Sunpower MAX5-415 Series Mono/White Module-40mm with built in enp – ITS Technologies

You can then compare with what you're being charged, and see if it's over/under on the panel cost, or all being lumped into the "labour". Same with the Powerwall costs, Tesla will tell you how much the equipment costs, so again you can see how that splits.

Take a peek at Pylontech batteries. US3000C, Approx £1k for 3.5kWh plus inverter fitting and cabinet. I just bought 5, 17.5kWh approx 16.5kWh useable. And a cabinet for £5300. I ready had a Victron inverter. (Approx £1500)
The Pylontechs are modular avd you can add up to 8 in each stack.
Combine this with Go (or Go faster ) I'm running the house on 5.4 to 6.9p/kWh
Hope this helps.
Are you battery only or is this adding to an existing PV setup?

Are you battery only or is this adding to an existing PV setup?
I have 5.6kWh sse facing and 1.2kWh nnw facing. The 5.6 are limited to 4kw output.. no DNO approval, Also a 9kwh heatpump providing heating and hot water in the winter.. solar thermal in the summer.. batteries will save a good bit in the electricity bill.. but everybody is different and so needs to make the calculation for themsves. Mine on the current Go prices will payback within 6 years and reduce electricity bills from expected £1400 to somewhere about £300.. but that will take time to prove.

Ps try the golf club at the Flint Charger.. Great food and friendly atmosphere.. just stopped to charge for the 1st time.. won't be the last.

as @phil4 said above - google the parts and decide if the install/markup price is to your liking? Or look at payoff periods. It does look like PW people are paying an extra £5k for 3kwh more storage over alternative solutions (all be it I suspect you will get a better integrated solution)

Reactions: benken and phil4
I've had my first quote back, but I don't have any perspective how good a quote it is. Opinions on the following?
19x 390W Trina Solar = 7.41kW
1x Powerwall 2
£19300
I don’t think that’s far off, take a look back at #511, my quote.
Installers are currently unindated with enquiries so prices are obviously going to rise due to demand.
Edit, my supplier has since changed my panels to 410Wp, not change in price!

Reactions: benken
This is where I bought mine.. couldn't find them cheaper.. lots of youtube videos on them.. simple to add batteries.

There are a multitude of factors which need to be considered to get effective production from solar PV they need the right orientation and angle of roof for the panels to work effectively. Our SSSE facing ones drop off by 50% an hour after 1300 ending up with about 500 Watts ( on a good day) after 1600( which is why I installed the 4 panels on the nnw side, they do almost nothing in the winter but almost 400kWh during the summer starting effectively at 1600) solar thermal is a much better "bang for your buck" under £2000 installed and repayment about 5 years. The (Navitron) tubes work in all conditions.. even overcast cold days you will get some heat from them and have over a 180 degree working angle.
I suspect that the farther north and west you go the more the solarPV/ wind balance will change.
I'm pretty sure, despite the extended sunlight in the summer, the northern and western isles would be better with a communal wind generator and batteries rather than solar. I'm pretty sure 4 houses together would be able to make things work for about 10k each.
Hope this helps

They've only got the 2.4kWh batteries on the website the 3.5's take up less room, and the 3.5's are slightly better value for money.
£312/kWh for the 2.4 and £296/kWh for the 3.5. Something else to consider.

I just ordered 4.8kw solar system givenergy hybrid inverter and 8.2kw battery. Our fuse box is being replaced, there is a lot of scaffolding and I'm having a few other things added, its not cheap in comparison to the quotes being banded about here. Prices are definitely going up.

I just ordered 4.8kw solar system givenergy hybrid inverter and 8.2kw battery. Our fuse box is being replaced, there is a lot of scaffolding and I'm having a few other things added, its not cheap in comparison to the quotes being banded about here. Prices are definitely going up.
Hi, just wondering if you are willing to share the quoted price, I've increased my requirements to 4.8kW with a similar set up ( apart from being 16.4kW battery).