Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those wondering about 0% VAT on battery install only this was the reply on HMRC forums:

the installation of batteries on their own were not covered under the 5% rate, they were only charged at the reduced rate if supplied together with a solar panel as a single supply.
So the new 0% rate will not apply to solar batteries installation on their owm.

No credit to me, someone else posted.
Do you can purchase a single (cheap) solar panel at the same time as your battery and benefit from the reduced VAT rate?

We looked into this in 2019 after we'd had our solar system installed. We can't have additional solar due to the DNO limits so it was a non-flyer for us. We are also limited to 3.6kW from the battery inverter => need to think carefully about what to choose. For example I think we need storage capacity more than we need high load, so e.g. a single PowerWall gives us the 13.5kWh but no ability to go bigger (because we would exceed 3.6kW). For this reason I'm thinking separate battery and inverter so we can add more storage capacity.

Separately, hopefully we are improving our pay-back since we had a Zappi Charger installed last week to replace our 4 year old PodPoint which was not helping us make best use of solar. Initially this will reduce the payback but with sometimes 6kW being exported during the summer we can save a lot over time. It's also much easier to manage charging generally, PodPoint's lack of progress on their app is disappointing. We are also having an Eddi installed in about 3 weeks, as our iBoost died. The increased gas price means this is going to pay for itself faster than it would have previously done. The iBoost was a waste of money, died just after warranty expired. Usefully we have found a local MyEnergi approved installer. Our solar installers are around an hour+ drive away and just the amount of travel time they quoted for made replacing the iBoost with them uneconomic. For the same price we were quoted we get the Eddi, Harvi, and also three new Nest Protect smoke alarms. :)

We are having our gas boiler replaced a week on Monday, which will again have a more rapid payback given high gas prices. We've had the heating turned off for a couple of weeks but the cold snap has coincided nicely with the price cap rising.

Reading across this threat, It is a bit frustrating on how much of a postcode lottery it can be on DNO approvals, and the respective restrictions that come in.

G99 + G100 should never be feared, as single phase deployments can export up to 6KW out to the grid.....but only if your neighbours don't already saturate the power cables in your area, and an acceptance of paying a few hundred for DNO 'witness' that your export is being capped at source (for 'safety').

Suppose on the counter-argument, 'exports' are pitiful and relying on prior feed-in-tarriffs are now longer the way to approach solar, but instead to view it as 'the savings from not needing to draw from grid needlessly, when your solar+battery covers your home utilisation/base load'.

I do wish the government grants and 'advertising' for the heatpump campaigns were being made in kind for solar+battery storage....wishful thinking

Reading across this threat, It is a bit frustrating on how much of a postcode lottery it can be on DNO approvals, and the respective restrictions that come in.

G99 + G100 should never be feared, as single phase deployments can export up to 6KW out to the grid.....but only if your neighbours don't already saturate the power cables in your area, and an acceptance of paying a few hundred for DNO 'witness' that your export is being capped at source (for 'safety').

Suppose on the counter-argument, 'exports' are pitiful and relying on prior feed-in-tarriffs are now longer the way to approach solar, but instead to view it as 'the savings from not needing to draw from grid needlessly, when your solar+battery covers your home utilisation/base load'.

I do wish the government grants and 'advertising' for the heatpump campaigns were being made in kind for solar+battery storage....wishful thinking

Or DNO allowed us to have 2x4kW inverters, but this seems to be the absolute limit and it's why we're limited to 3.6 on the battery. Of course, this was from a query to our installers in 2019. Maybe the local grid has been upgraded (there are some new build houses) and things may have changed.

3 phase would be one way to go but it's an expensive option.

Just given the go ahead on GivEnergy 8.2kWh battery, inverter and 12 panel system for install. i have a EO Mini Pro 2 with Garo unit wired direct into my outside cabinet supply (ie not via consumer unit). anyone with EO mini get theirs to work with the Givenergy setup And how did they configure it etc?

Just given the go ahead on GivEnergy 8.2kWh battery, inverter and 12 panel system for install. i have a EO Mini Pro 2 with Garo unit wired direct into my outside cabinet supply (ie not via consumer unit). anyone with EO mini get theirs to work with the Givenergy setup And how did they configure it etc?
Congratulations, have they given you an install date as the batteries are in short supply?

I have a quote for a 5.6kwp array (14x400w panels) 3.68kw inverter, zappi and a 10kwh battery. Installation is in Scotland. Installer highly recommends the 3.68 inverter rather than upping to a larger inverter. It will clip to the battery so I am told but can’t help thinking installer can’t be bothered with the DNO paperwork. Excess over 3.68kw may only be for a few mid summer months. Does anyone see any issues with the 3.68kw inverter?

As @RagingWhisky says, DNO approval does seem a postcode lottery.
what I can’t understand is why.
I have one set of panels that are allowed to export and one set that aren’t. My Powerwalls can’t either but not that I would want them to.
I could in theory double the number of secondary panels without issue.
If I’m exporting, my secondary panels shut down. They light up again if start using more than I’m generating. How hard is that?
Surely if panels and batteries can be set not to export, why on Earth can only some of us get approval for what we want?