Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not quite sure exactly the issue you’re describing there. Can you elaborate?

I don’t think they do talk to each other right now.

Something to do with cross charging?
I think there is a device coming out in the future regarding fixing that.
In the meantime I think they will basically act as two separate systems for now.

I’ve asked about upgrading to the Gen3’s and I’m waiting to hear back on that. And I’m not sure if they function any differently right now either.
Cross charging will be an issue even if set up as effectively separate systems - it was fine with Gen1 inverters originally, but latest software apparently monitors AC ( source: my original two Gen1's and now Gen2's).
EMS is out in the wild testing on AC Inverters, not yet on hybrids - so when it will arrive is anyone's guess.
Alternatively if you have a raspberry pi or similar, you can set up a software control with GivTCP, lot's of info , help and files on Facebook page.

I see a lot of people talking about flux. For me I don’t think it would get anywhere near the savings I’d make with Intelligent Octopus. Am I missing something?
Flex is great if you're a) a net exporter... ie. you export quite a lot of solar, more than you import, and b) you can cover the peak period with your batteries. It seems to work best for those with huuuuge solar arrays, and those without EV's. In the first case they generate so much solar they can export it all and it's cheaper to charge the car at 20p, than go on IO/Go. For the second part, since they've got no big EV battery to charge, all bar their house use can be exported, and so it's a win for them.

My suggestion for you is to carry on with IO/Go and your new setup, use Octopus Compare to see what change it would have on your import costs, then take your export and multiple that up, and see if you're net gain or loss. If you have a Zappi you can see net export, or if you've setup SEG with Octopus they'll show it in their app too. It should be quite easy to work out. And it might make you a nice profit... or it might not.

I've not got batteries yet, so I'm leaving everything as is, until I can see what effect they have.

Reactions: Pete UK
Cross charging will be an issue even if set up as effectively separate systems - it was fine with Gen1 inverters originally, but latest software apparently monitors AC ( source: my original two Gen1's and now Gen2's).
EMS is out in the wild testing on AC Inverters, not yet on hybrids - so when it will arrive is anyone's guess.
Alternatively if you have a raspberry pi or similar, you can set up a software control with GivTCP, lot's of info , help and files on Facebook page.
Thanks for that. I tried setting up home assistant on an old Mac mini, but got stuck, as there was a file missing (OS Agent) and can’t for the life of me find how to located it anywhere on the internet to install it !

Is it really a massive problem, this cross charging?
What ‘problems’ are you experiencing exactly?
Is it more of an inconvenience or is it wasting any power?

I’ve been following the thread on “OverclockersUK” is that you on there with the same user ID ?

Thanks for that. I tried setting up home assistant on an old Mac mini, but got stuck, as there was a file missing (OS Agent) and can’t for the life of me find how to located it anywhere on the internet to install it !

Is it really a massive problem, this cross charging?
What ‘problems’ are you experiencing exactly?
Is it more of an inconvenience or is it wasting any power?

I’ve been following the thread on “OverclockersUK” is that you on there with the same user ID ?
Yes, that's me - try this group:

It tends to flip from one to the other, one is more dominant than the other though - downside is small losses, main one being unnecessary cycling of the batteries.

Reactions: Pete UK
Anyone here had any experience of SunSynk inverters and batteries ?

In the demise of Just4Solar we have an offer from Contact Solar that seems appealing price wise but replaces the GivEnergy Equipment with SunSynk, who I haven't heard of before. Their 5KW Hybrid Inverter seems to have a greater output on battery (the full 5KW).

I started the week on 55% battery. Drove into central london and back three times Mon-Weds, and my car is now at 90% entirely from sun. Waiting for the weekend to hopefully fill my wife’s e-golf up that has taken her to work and back all week without needing a charge.

Today we’re looking around at what needs to be done - so we’ve put the towels on to hot wash and tumble dry.

Yes this is likely only temporary and I’ll need contingency for overnight charges if we need to go somewhere suddenly or in winter. But its all good.

so my installation plans now:
12th of July - Scaffold
13th and 14th of July - System install
Advice would be have a good idea where you want things to go and how cables are going to get around the property to make it all work. Many installers will default to cables on the outside of the property, looks be damned. If you want something more sensible, be prepared to guide/help a bit more.

I didn't take the install day off work, but in hind sight I should have.

Advice would be have a good idea where you want things to go and how cables are going to get around the property to make it all work. Many installers will default to cables on the outside of the property, looks be damned. If you want something more sensible, be prepared to guide/help a bit more.

I didn't take the install day off work, but in hind sight I should have.
I will be working from home anyway.

my batteries and inverters will go to loft. my consumer unit is in in the middle of the house, under the stairs in the storage room, accessible via utility room. Unfortunately, I think there is no wall going from the down there to the utility room... unless MAYBE cavity wall on the side of the house.. need to check drawings to be honest.. but I still gonna have cables visible in utility room leading towards the small storage under stairs

if I look at the plan of house (this is typical new build project)
1686305960968.png

I see that there is potentially possible to go via the red dot marked internal wall inside the house... but not sure if that would be the best way to be honest. I might still end up with cables going via outside... or maybe to utilise empty cavity wall

I have received DNO approval today and the Tesla powerwall plus 3 panels with micro inverters on the brick shed (no scaffolding required and to be rid of the VAT) is being installed on the 22nd…. Ahead of asking the installer, is anyone able to tell me what my scope is for further expansion based on their letter 🤔

Your connection details
Microgeneration > 3.68 kW per phase to 29.9 kW Connection Characteristics and Operational Conditions
The generation connection(s) will be one-phase, 230Volts, and alternating current at 50Hz, with a maximum generation export capacity of 6kW. If you wish to increase the generation capacity over the 6kW applied for you will need to make another application for approval.
The generation should be installed and protected strictly in accordance with relevant ENA Engineering Recommendation. We would particularly draw your attention to the requirements for each supply to:
• Fit a mechanical, lockable isolator that disconnects all phases and neutral conductors at an accessible location on the generator circuit; and
• Fit a suitable warning label at our main service fuse unit and meter position.
• Where your generation connection involves multiple phases you will need to balance the generation
output evenly across the phases.
• Operate the generator at between 0.95 lead to 0.95 lag power factor, and ensure the maximum export capacity of 6kW is not exceeded and the voltage at Southern Electric Power Distribution plc’s service cable termination does not exceed 6 Volts.
If your equipment is operating outside these parameters, please, contact us regarding your requirements.
• Ensure that all works on your own electrical installation are carried out by a qualified electrical contractor who is registered. Statutory qualification schemes, for Building Regulation purposes, are currently run by NICEIC, SELECT, ECA, NAPIT, ELECSA, British Standards Institution and BRE Certification. For Government approved organisations that register electricians please refer to the Electrical Safety Council.
The generation must be installed, operated and maintained in accordance with the requirements of the Distribution Code. This can be downloaded from the Distribution Code website at www.dcode.org.uk.
Under the terms of the Distribution Code, your generation plant may be subject to operational constraints related to planned or unplanned works on Southern Electric Power Distribution plc’s Distribution System. Southern Electric Power Distribution plc will not be liable for any loss of generation income as a result of a fault or maintenance on any part of our network.
Under no circumstances may you connect the proposed generator to Southern Electric Power Distribution plc’s Distribution System without accepting this Offer and paying all sums due as detailed in this Offer.
Earthing – Existing Premises
As per your existing Earthing arrangements.
Meter Position / Meter Location for Import / Export Metering – Existing Premises

6kw max export - anything over you apply again. What is the kwp of your solar array?

I think you can set powerwalls to export limit and that is one of the few certified by DNOs - so would that mean you could add as much as you like as long as you define no more than 6kw goes out to the grid?

Reactions: Js1977