Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar PV News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL! Is that really our new standard for American exceptionalism? ‘We’re better than Guatemala’?
More like a US/United Fruit colony try to be a democracy
"From the mid- to late 19th century, Guatemala suffered chronic instability and civil strife. Beginning in the early 20th century, it was ruled by a series of dictators backed by the United Fruit Company and the United States government. In 1944, the authoritarian leader Jorge Ubico was overthrown by a pro-democratic military coup, initiating a decade-long revolution that led to sweeping social and economic reforms. A U.S.-backed military coup in 1954 ended the revolution and installed a dictatorship.[9]

From 1960 to 1996, Guatemala endured a bloody civil war fought between the US-backed government and leftist rebels, including genocidal massacres of the Maya population perpetrated by the military.[10][11][12] Since a United Nations-negotiated peace accord, Guatemala has achieved both economic growth and successful democratic elections, although it continues to struggle with high rates of poverty and crime, drug cartels, and instability"

Reactions: SmartElectric
Move to Guatemala

???? Why? Totally agree the US is better than Guatemala and a handful of other countries. Am I being too ambitious to think we should strive to be at least in the top 20 nations instead of just taking some odd pride that we're not in the bottom 10? Have our standards really sunk that low in the last 4 years?

My main objection to this is that people waste what they do not value.

If low-income people are willing to do the work themselves, PV is already dirt cheap
Moreover, at least where I live the low income people have much better construction skills and experience than other wage groups.

If "help" is to offered, I suggest
  • financing, so that the monthly savings of the utility bill can be used to pay off the loan
  • planning expertise
This is the kind of PV volunteer work I joined in Colorado at solarbarnraising.org. It was, and is, very successful

Washington State awards low-income solar project grants

Totaling 2.8 MW, the projects are expected to result in $6.1 million of energy savings over 25 years for low-income households and nonprofits serving low-income communities.Commerce Director Lisa Brow said low-income households pay a disproportionately higher portion of their income for energy and are often in locations more likely to be impacted by harmful emissions and climate change.

Something very interesting is happening WRT SPV generation in California. In 8 of the last 10 days, the peak MW for SPV has been above 11GW:

2021 SPV.jpg

In looking back at the 2020 data set, we never saw 3 consecutive days of 11GW until June 9-11! :eek:

I can only come to one of the following conclusions:
1. Old Sol has decided to shine more brightly to help us achieve our renewable goals
2. A BUNCH more SPV has come online

The other "funny" thing is that wind has also gone somewhat crazy. Wind total power for 2020 YTD was 1.79TWh, and so far this year it is 2.48TWh. This could simply be attributable to more wind, obviously, but it is certainly a lot more wind.

When you look at renewable as a percentage of total power YTD: 2020 = 22.95%, 2021 = 27.70%. While total power is down about 2%.

I don't think this ~5% YOY increase is going to hold for the entire year, but it's a great start and the days are only getting longer from here on out. Also heard a discussion on the radio this morning about how there is a lot more battery capacity coming online prior to the start of summer. I would imagine that any SPV put into battery storage counts as "SPV total power" versus not showing up at all if it is curtailed.

RT

I don't think this ~5% YOY increase is going to hold for the entire year, but it's a great start and the days are only getting longer from here on out. Also heard a discussion on the radio this morning about how there is a lot more battery capacity coming online prior to the start of summer. I would imagine that any SPV put into battery storage counts as "SPV total power" versus not showing up at all if it is curtailed.
I agree, it is interesting.

You don't need storage to avoid curtailment, you just need to avoid curtailment. Overall demand could have increased, or CAISO might have shed a fossil contract. How does the peak compare to installed capacity ?

Regardless, you California types are looking in the wrong place. ;-)
It is windy today in NM and the major IOU currently has 55% clean energy on the system (and 33% nuke). We are just getting started. I really hope that the state is exporting no less than 6 GW 24/7 by 2025.

Last edited:
Something very interesting is happening WRT SPV generation in California. In 8 of the last 10 days, the peak MW for SPV has been above 11GW:

View attachment 640539

In looking back at the 2020 data set, we never saw 3 consecutive days of 11GW until June 9-11! :eek:

I can only come to one of the following conclusions:
1. Old Sol has decided to shine more brightly to help us achieve our renewable goals
2. A BUNCH more SPV has come online

The other "funny" thing is that wind has also gone somewhat crazy. Wind total power for 2020 YTD was 1.79TWh, and so far this year it is 2.48TWh. This could simply be attributable to more wind, obviously, but it is certainly a lot more wind.

When you look at renewable as a percentage of total power YTD: 2020 = 22.95%, 2021 = 27.70%. While total power is down about 2%.

RT

With more capacity you'd begin to see reporting of negative generation from batteries, as we get for pumped hydro, which is measured as input - output.

But it could take a while to be relevant.
Net generation is: power x capacity_factor x hours x ( round_trip_efficiency - 1 )
If there's 1GW of power, used 4 hours per day 365 days per day at 90% efficiency then output in TWh is
1 x 0.001 x 0.25 x 24 x 365 x ( 0.9 - 1 ) = -0.219TWh/year

* Confusingly we talk about battery capacity in cars as energy, but to the grid capacity is generating capacity, which is power.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ohmman and mspohr
After Texas, Green New Deal Advocates Push Rooftop Solar. But Will Biden Fund It?

Some researchers have argued that investment in rooftop and community solar, alongside wind and solar farms, offers the most economic pathway to meeting clean energy goals. One recent study found that reducing fossil fuel emissions 95 percent by 2050 — which is basically Biden’s clean energy goal — would be much cheaper with a significant investment in rooftop or community solar. The report, which was funded by pro-solar advocacy groups, found that the development of 247 gigawatts worth of rooftop and local solar power could save energy users $473 billion over focusing on large-scale renewables.
In order to create savings on bills, however, households first need to overcome the cost of the panels and installation, an insurmountable barrier for many — especially renters. The East Bay project is getting around that problem through a unique policy in California that allows for the creation of community choice energy services, which are essentially small, community-controlled power suppliers

Reactions: SmartElectric
Just like everywhere else the utilities are not being controlled and they do what they want which is to make money for their investors.

Local ownership is important, but even in Ontario where we own our primary utility and transmission, the "public private" investments have hollowed out that ownership to the point where it also limits what the publicly owned corporation structures can do.

Example : Ontario build out "privately financed" wind at GW per year on FIT (FIT Overview) and specifically disallowed the the public utility to compete, obviously to ensure profit was part of the system vs pure cost effectiveness. Ontario could have had a far less expensive wind roll out, but is saddled with decades long contracts at double or triple the price of new wind today.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
Rural co-ops, such as the one that serves my area, are an exception.
Neither rural or co-op are any promise of being progressive. A co-op *might* be more inclined to be a fair representation of its membership but I'm not sure how well that holds true.

My experience with a rural co-op in Colorado named 'Empire' not too far from you was that they were Tri-state lackeys, a reflection of the majority views of their elected board of directors. In addition, they were poorly run and expensive. Monthly connection fee was ~ $35. Part (but by no means all, compared to other local co-ops) of the high fee was explained by being rural but their accounting always obscured admin costs by never providing a break-down. It did not surprise me that the locals viewed Empire as a favored place to work.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr