Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar roof on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar in almost any other location (except perhaps Solar Freakin' Roadways!!... gosh I miss that) will be more efficient and have a better return on investment. Or one at all.

There's a prototype car that goes as far as omitting the rear glass in order to get more surface area for solar, and even the amount that car gets isn't ideal in a sunny area. Add dirt, seasons, garage parking, and it all becomes a little bit pointless for most people (i.e. not a good idea for a mass production vehicle).

I suppose one could argue that manufacturers have indeed added solar to their cars despite the above. True... I would just prefer it provided a net positive effect rather than suck someone in from a marketing gimmick, but I don't own a multi-billion dollar car company looking to profit off of such things. If we can extend range when it really matters to EVs (Winter) with like... anti-solar panels? Darkness panels? That'd be great.

Last edited:
Wonder when we will see this happen with Tesla. Tesla Solar Glass for the car roofing.

The 2020 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Gets a Solar-Panel Roof
*banghead
75% say they prefer the solar panel over a sunroof.
Two unfortunates:
Unfortunately they probably have no idea how completely useless it will be in expanding their range
Unfortunately marketing folks will take that 75% number and start putting useless solar panels on ev’s... I can see it now.. ‘who WOULDNT want free charging forever*? buy a Hyundai.’
*err takes forever to charge.

While I would hate it obstructing a glass roof I can see a slight benefit for idle operations. Keeping the car cool when parked in the sun without draining the battery, allowing for other battery consuming tasks while parked might be a benefit.

Reactions: Vaillant
While I would hate it obstructing a glass roof I can see a slight benefit for idle operations. Keeping the car cool when parked in the sun without draining the battery, allowing for other battery consuming tasks while parked might be a benefit.

This is exactly what it will do for the Sonata. It makes sense for a hybrid. It will take a leap in solar technology for it to be a worthwhile expense and addition for an EV. When that technology arrives - and it will - I would want it.

Hyundai has done a nice job on the new Sonata, IMHO. Attractive car.

That had me rolling on the floor laughing. The inefficiency of this is beyond words.

There is no way to generate power for a car greater than the power that is being used to keep the windmill turning in the first place.

Who in the world patented this? Trust me.....this idea won't be stolen.

Large corporations with money to burn :)

upload_2020-2-7_11-22-27.png

Maybe they should install a windmill on the car, so it charges while you are driving! ;)

US7135786B1 - Wind driven generator for powered vehicles - Google Patents

Two of the aircraft I flew, the F-4 and AV-8A, were equipped with Ram Air Turbines, which we referred to as RAT's. They had a dual purpose of also supplying hydraulic power for the flight controls as well as electric power. Actual use of the RAT was reserved for those eye-opening moments when you had lost one or the other. Immediately after what was known as a "cold rush of sh*t to the heart moment'. Never had to use it for real, but certainly wouldn't have been concerned about inefficiency...:)

Having not yet looked at actual efficiency gained...

I could see some benefit just to keep a parked car stable / able to run Sentry mode.
It is a bad look for Telsa when someone, drives to an airport, bus or train outdoor lot, parks their car for 2 weeks for a vacation or business trip and returns home to a dead car that needs towing. That has happened and will continue to happen.
If for nothing else that might be worth it.

Reactions: byeLT4 and Vaillant
When one considers how much some folks pay for car mods that _decrease_ range, the addition of a useful solar option doesn't seem like a bad idea. While it certainly wouldn't power a Model 3 travelling down the highway much, cars like mine do spend quite a bit of time in the California sun idle. Harvesting a few miles a day of range and/or keeping the cabin temp under control while parked would actually be useful. And even while driving, it could offload some of the 12V load from the main pack - giving a small MPGe boost.

Reactions: jpfive and Vaillant