Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, there is clearly two business camps clearly forming: sustainable energy tech vs. nat gas tech. Sillicon valley vs. buffet/Koch& investors. New money vs. old. Future vs. incumbent. When one side starts to delay rather then compete, you know which one is going to win in the end...

Thank you for the lengthy post. When you say "one side starts to delay" which side are you speaking of?

Last edited:
Thanks Johan, I was reading a different meaning into it. You have good english skills!

About Elon's purchase, he must had seen my post that I was buying and it gave him the confidence to join in! :)

Yeah investing isn't that hard after all. Do what Elon does and it should work out pretty well.

The post by Foghat on how it shows a lot of weakness when one side in these types of conflicts, typically the old and established side, tries to take advantage of their power position to delay inevitable change makes me think of the classic Ghandi quote: "First they laugh at you (some places the quote is ignore you), then they fight you, then you win".

The really funny thing about utilities stalling for natural gas is that the down fall could be much worse with delay. They will go on sinking more capital into plants that will never pay for themselves, meanwhile solar and battery tech and pricing just keeps getting better. While battery and solar are not cheap enough to make off grid economical, utilities have many positive opportunities to create incentives for customers to stay with them and generate mutually beneficial services. But once solar+battery is cheap enough to pay exit fees to leave, customers will exit with a vengence. Abusing solar customers today sets a bad precedent for retaining customers 10 years from now. The utilities are creating their own death spiral.

Look at the strong interest in fuel cells as well... Buffet's endgame is natural gas for his utility grid system... Every big moves he's making is going in that direction.

He wants everything centralized power. He can control centralized solar and wind because they are just another plant in his mind... Really more of a compliance in my eyes because nat gas will be the base line load as well primary peaker for the grid infrastructure. Still, he has complete control at the utiltiy level solar/wind so he's good with it. But not the case with DG and micro grids.

he loves electric cars. He loves fuel cell electric cars even better. Electric vehicles bring cars onto his grid so he sees massive $$ with supporting and promoting electric cars. He says Tesla is not a threat because he only profits from tesla bringing cars into his grid. The more demand, the more nat gas generators needed to be developed to expand capacity. It's why he is a big supporter of electric charging stations incentives as well.

massive untapped nat gas field near Israel and around the world(also notably in northern Russia now). So, buffers investments in nat gas generator tech will also be procured world wide and at 800mln a pop to develop the capacity, there's tremendous interest in tapping nat gas all over the world for decades to come. And all buffet has to do is switch from coal to nat gas since he has all the required infrastructure in place(vertically integrated ownership top to bottom).

Bottomline, viva la natural gas, down with distributed solar and storage. I think as we move forward, we need to take note of buffet's strategy and understand what his future moves will be. It's not a mystery, it's just being one step ahead on where he's going and how he's going to get there.

he has expressed a disinterest in selling domestic oil as for the reason of limiting oil investment and further guiding policy toward nat gas. He always brings up how precious domestic oil is that it would be like "shipping off the top soil of Iowa" if we were to export it. He's saying let's not develop oil in the United States because nat gas is the future we need all investment going that direction... My direction.

Last edited:
President Obama: New clean energy plan would boost solar - Fortune
At the same time, the Energy Department clarified that the loan program can now be used to fund “distributed energy” projects, which are decentralized technologies like roof top solar panels, batteries in buildings or connected to the power grid, or adding computing intelligence to the grid. Much of the clean energy projects that have historically used the loans have been large “centralized” energy projects, which involve a utility buying and distributing the energy to its customers.

Hawaii Governor David Ige Drops Bomb: No LNG On His Watch | CleanTechnica

Buffet et al not happy with Hawaii. Score one for Elon/Lyndon et al. I do remember Lyndon saying Hawaii is going to be a postcard from the future to the rest of the country, so maybe he knows something we don't.

Very interesting. LNG would only slow the transition to renewables. The infrastructure would be very expensive and not needed within ten years. The state needs to break up the distribution monopoly, and let residents share power on virtual microgrids.

I've got to say, this is one of the most baller things I've ever seen. Elon basically woke up this morning, saw that one of his companies was selling at deep discount and decided to drop five million dollars on stock before the rest of California even had breakfast.

I must admit I got a little spooked today and had begun planning an exit strategy for my modest SCTY holdings. But after seeing this move from Elon I am feeling downright inspired. My SCTY stock is now parked in this account for good alongside TSLA. Jim Chanos can pry these shares from my cold, dead hands.

Looking a bit more over the PowerHub fact sheet here are some thoughts:

First, look at the specs:

data.PNG

Apparently the 30kWh unit will have a max output from the battery (evening) of 9.6 kW while the large 60kWh unit will have maximum battery output of 19.2 kW. That's a little more than double for the larger unit. These numbers should tell us a bit about the battery configuration, if we can gather more data (i.e. what types of cells with what voltage and capacity, how many in serial and/or parallell to make up that capacity and output combo).

"Storage capacity" is interesting because the 30 unit has "25-35 kWh" and the 60 unit has "50-70 kWh". I don't quite get why they list it like this, while for example Tesla will say that the 85kWh car has 85kWh (not 77-87 kWh for example). The footnote reads: "Extended storage capacity available for limited time periods" - I guess this means they will allow you to use an abnormally large voltage span for "limited periods" but not in the long run, since this will cause faster degradation. What does the "BOL" acronym mean?

Also I'm wondering whether there are some type of thermal management, and if so is this just fans or could it be a liquid cooling system? I suppose these units will be in rough conditions including high temperatures often.

The panels will be Silevo panels - i.e. SCTY is moving forward fast with inhouse manufacturing, taking a page from Elon's vertical integration playbook.

Looking at this picture of the internals, we don't know if it's the 30 or 60 unit we're looking it, but I count 5 Tesla-branded battery boxes. Likely not 7kWh nor 10kWh PowerWalls.

hub2.PNG

BOL is likely the opposite of EOL (beginning of life)

Thanks, good catch.

One more interesting thing from the fact sheet:

"10-year warranty on modules and electronics. Battery warranty is 10 years or 18MWh of discharge throughput."

18MWh on a 30 pack, assuming actual capacity (BOL) at 30kWh means 600 deep cycles (100-0% SOC). This could indicate that they haven't put a lot of thermal management in place?

Last edited:
Totally wild guess:
Could it be they put five 7-kWh units in the smaller container but rate them for 6 kWh due to harsh environment expected? It would really only take a minute change in one line of code, I imagine, to make that 30 kWh.
But really, no idea at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.