Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 10.58.32 AM.png

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than smart.

http://m.elpasoinc.com/news/local_news/article_2412c276-4a73-11e5-ba6a-678bceca28b1.html?mode=jqm

Ha, I think the Army in El Paso is going to develop a micro grid... Solarcity has a huge opportunity here and I think there is a good chance they are working it. Local utility not happy.

update:

just caught this:

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...oduct_and_Opportunity_Overview_-_Aug_2015.pdf

solarcity recently added this to its investor brief. I think we'll start hearing a lot about Solarcity solar+ storage combo in all its various forms more often soon...

Last edited:
I was trying to buy into SCTY this morning, but couldn't log in to my trading account! Then I missed the drop! Now of course I can login...

I guess I am going to continue to put cash into my trading account and setup limit buys to catch any ridiculous falling behavior in TSLA or SCTY.

I'm up 32.02% from my purchase earlier today, to be precise. Man, this wasn't meant to be a day trade, but now I'm thinking I should probably trim my position.

I too feel like a trading genius. As usual it's just luck though. However give yourself credit for recognizing a bargain when you see one. Did that purchase take your average price up or down? Or did you not hold a position before?

I too feel like a trading genius. As usual it's just luck though. However give yourself credit for recognizing a bargain when you see one. Did that purchase take your average price up or down? Or did you not hold a position before?

It brought my average down. I was a shareholder early on, but sold out some time ago. I've only started to get back in over the past few weeks.

Go Lyndon! He straightened things out, as far as a CEO (who obviously has a bias) can. I hope the stock climbs on Monday as a result of this.

Quoting myself... :)

- - - Updated - - -

And then...

With SCTY near its low point of support (around $47), is it fair to say it will climb again as we go through the end of this year?

The company only seems to grow and grow, as far as I can see, and they business model seems solid. Surely it's only a matter of time before investors realise SCTY should cost more than it does?

lol

I bought a bunch this morning. I had been severely in the red on a few thousand shares at $57 average, bought myself down to $51 average. So, I'm not as happy as Johan, but I am pretty damn happy!!

Does this Chandos guy have a TV show or anything? If anyone hears him eat crow, please post it here.

http://m.elpasoinc.com/news/local_news/article_2412c276-4a73-11e5-ba6a-678bceca28b1.html?mode=jqm

Ha, I think the Army in El Paso is going to develop a micro grid... Solarcity has a huge opportunity here and I think there is a good chance they are working it. Local utility not happy.

update:

just caught this:

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...oduct_and_Opportunity_Overview_-_Aug_2015.pdf

solarcity recently added this to its investor brief. I think we'll start hearing a lot about Solarcity solar+ storage combo in all its various forms more often soon...

This is excellent. We need to dig into this doc from SolarCity.

Note the new product PowerHub. This seems to take SolarCity and possibly Tesla into very new territory. It is a modular combined solar+battery system for remote power production that costs less than.diesel!

* 30 / 60 kW max output
* 66 / 99 kWh daily solar production
* 32 / 64 kWh battery storage
* High reliability with built-in redundancy
* Less than 2 hours to assemble
* Scalable
* Provides shade!

This is what you need in a remote village, farm, mining site, etc. It looks pretty rugged and mobile. It may even be suitable for a construction site.

The denominations of batteries 32 or 64 kWh suguests to me that Tesla is coming out with a new product. These are not combinations 7 or 10 kWh Powerwalls. So this could be very exciting for Tesla investors, too.

Sec of energy just said $1bln now just opened to DG right now. President will make a PACE announcement at the conference at 5PM. This is massive for Solarcity, since PACE is the vehicle for commercial expansion in a very significant way.

Only issue this week is the Nevada PUC anti DG decision on Wednesday. If bad as expected, lay offs will be announced and headlines will continue misinformation of DG problems.

However, the PACE changes will really pick up things in the national commercial market space almost immediately, which could counter any near term Nevada market close down.

Here's more on the PowerHub:

http://www.solarcity.com/sites/default/files/sc-powerhub-download.pdf

Exciting stuff!

"SolarCity PowerHub is powered entirely by solar and batteries. The solar modules produce energy during the day, storing the excess energy in the batteries. In the evening, batteries discharge to provide energy to the site. The inverters provide a 120V/240V output to a site electrical panel or to standard electrical outlets. The system design includes five individual sub-systems connected by a single bus, where each sub-system is equipped with solar modules, battery storage and an inverter. The design architecture provides redundancy to ensure continuous operation through any single-mode failures."

What are those Tesla branded battery boxes inside??? Doesn't quite look like PowerWalls to me:

hub.PNG

Apparently there will be two versions: PowerHub 30 and PowerHub 60. Last page of the pdf I linked is specs!

Exciting stuff!

"SolarCity PowerHub is powered entirely by solar and batteries. The solar modules produce energy during the day, storing the excess energy in the batteries. In the evening, batteries discharge to provide energy to the site. The inverters provide a 120V/240V output to a site electrical panel or to standard electrical outlets. The system design includes five individual sub-systems connected by a single bus, where each sub-system is equipped with solar modules, battery storage and an inverter. The design architecture provides redundancy to ensure continuous operation through any single-mode failures."

What are those Tesla branded battery boxes inside??? Doesn't quite look like PowerWalls to me:

View attachment 91766

Apparently there will be two versions: PowerHub 30 and PowerHub 60. Last page of the pdf I linked is specs!

beyond a shadow of a doubt, military will buy into this with both hands. This is a no brainer for energy security and cut reliance on civilian energy infrastructure for optimal control of power needs as well as reduces exposure to possible infrastructure attacks, and this is world wide.

update:
Obama Saves Solar Stocks

i think the pace announcement is more a residential focus, which actually could be interesting to expanding the DG market... Not clear on the specifics yet...

Last edited:

Exciting stuff!

View attachment 91766

Wow, this thing looks built with military and humanitarian missions in mind. It can be delivered by plane, truck, or ship. I hope SolarCity retains a fleet of these for disaster response missions. It's the right thing to do, but just imagine the PR value of dispatching these things to the next disaster CNN streams around the clock. Imagine how these could have helped Haiti recover both initially and longer term.

- - - Updated - - -

beyond a shadow of a doubt, military will buy into this with both hands. This is a no brainer for energy security and cut reliance on civilian energy infrastructure for optimal control of power needs as well as reduces exposure to possible infrastructure attacks, and this is world wide.

I suspect that SolarEdge is in on this too. Many of the SolarEdge leaders come from an IDF military background. I believe specifically they were involved in intelligence and know first hand the issues of setting up communications equipment within a combat environment.

- - - Updated - - -

Foghat, I think PowerHub is also in line with your speculation that Fort Bliss may be a site for a microgrid. It makes good sense that a military base would want to use PowerHubs at home so that they get deep experience with the system. So at home they provide energy and training, but if needed they can be called upon for other military missions.

Just heard the net metering debate and an interesting perspective was brought up:

The "conservative" perspective for pro net metering: "I am forced to be on the grid. Utitlies are storing my power that I own and must give it back to me when I need it. The utitlies take my power that they didn't invest one cent in and are selling it to my neighbor as if they did make and moved it to their house from far off locations through the extensive transmission and distribution system. The transmission and distribution system has been paid for many times over already, so any fees we pay for the grid are for future services of which my solar system is one... I've already paid for that upgrade in investing in my solar system. All and every charge I pay must be available to me to see in its entirety because I don't believe you the utility are giving the true picture of costs. I have no duty to stay on the grid, I have no obligation to pay an "exit" fee, I will leave the grid if I want to when the the time comes. Do mess with my freedom to do that if you want to benefit from my solar I store with you. Not in your best interest to lie cheat and steel from to do it."

I think the conservative point of view is very concerned with being forced to be connected to the grid as this net metering go more mainstream. It is becoming more apparent utitlies are going to make this "exit" payment a big issue which will be a death knell across all party lines.

the truth net metering isn't a political issue. That's the smokescreen. The real issue is big utitlies are 100% focused on a natural gas future. They all have the 30 year plans in action, and solar is a "compliance" energy in mind(sound familiar?). DG and aggregation of distributed solar+solar is the complete opposite of that vision. Net metering is clearly a monopoly abuse of power issue. Again, that's the real issue here. Look at the plans for buffet with his new gas fired generation manufacturer purchase. Coal is out because it makes more financial sense to go natural gas, not because of the environmental concerns(again another smokescreen). Buffet already has the infrastructure to transition near seemlessly to nat gas utitliy structure... from rail lines to end generation... He owns and controls it. He promotes (and owns electric manufacturer BYD) electric vehicles because that will put transportation industry on his grid, which translates into massive amounts of revenues generated. The coal fired plants closing down in rapid succession is not about clean air, it's about dollars and sense and buffet is right there leading the charge. TEP just closed down a coal fired plant 2 years ahead of time because they are making way for massive nat gas plant (that all rate payers will have to pay for), not because they are being environmental stewards.

To me, there is clearly two business camps clearly forming: sustainable energy tech vs. nat gas tech. Sillicon valley vs. buffet/Koch& investors. New money vs. old. Future vs. incumbent. When one side starts to delay rather then compete, you know which one is going to win in the end...

Status
Not open for further replies.