Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution for amateur radio operators? Impossible to use magmount antennas in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My VHF/UHF gear is in a box. I moved away from Chicago 14 years ago. Chicago had some great systems with a huge coverage area. NoVA/DC, not so much. My HF rig is in the basement waiting for the apocalypse.

Barry,
Any damage (paint? sheet metal?, weather stripping?) with the Comet lip mount? Did you end up mounting one on your Tesla? If so, where did you mount it?
K6SLB
There is a little "pinhole" in the paint on the inside of the lip. The 2 set screws have a point on them to purposely make contact with the bare metal on the inner surface of the lip.

No, I'm not installing it on the Tesla. I'm giving up 2m due to lack of activity in the area. If you want to buy the setup (Kenwood TM-G707A duobander with remoteable head and Comet duoband antenna), let me know :smile:

My HF rig is in the basement waiting for the apocalypse.
this. Or an EMP, solar flare, war, false flag, major earthquake, tsunami, hurricane, etc.. don't think for a minute you can rely on internet and/or cell phone in major emergency situations. Always have a backup, and a backup for your backup :)
KM4HOX

- - - Updated - - -

Going to a field day today in fact.. ARO's and prepping kinda goes hand in hand. And other like minded people are good to know in bad situations

Reactions: pilotSteve
Egads.

I would be worried about all that RF (at 2 meters) next to all the antennas and radios in the Tesla. I wouldn't worry about a handheld but even then you might have problems with the tinting and all.

I'm a ham..and a Tesla owner. While I hang out on HF with a KX3, I wouldn't think about doing it in a car. I've used mag mounts (Hustlers) in the past and always got scratches. Somebody did say you could use the crossbar mounts if you got a pano roof and that's the direction I would go if I had to do it. But then how do you route the coax?

So many communications in the car I'm thinking I don't really need it.
de W0QR

I'm not an antenna designer, but there's an apparent contradiction in this: using a magnet to stick the antenna to a steel roof wouldn't seem to make an electrical connection through the paint any more than using suction cups to stick one to an aluminum roof...or does it?

It's been a while for me, but having a solid ground plane under the antenna helps keep all the waves going up and out instead of down and into the car.

The part about the antenna being connected to the ground plane (car body in this case) comes down to the wavelength of the antenna. To get away with a smaller antenna you leverage the ground plane as part of the "antenna system." However most magnetic mount antennas are 1/2 wavelength and thus do not require electrical conductivity with the ground plane to function properly.

Give up ham radio? I'm only half kidding. I've been licensed since I was 17, but gave up the hobby about 10 years ago. It's slowly dying.

On the MS with the pano roof there are mounts for a roof carrier. You could use those as a base. Perhaps a small metal bar across the roof to act as a ground plane.

A

I actually thought about getting a license a couple years ago. I took an online practice test and passed (just barely) without studying, just based on my college physics and stuff my dad taught me when I was a kid (he's been a licensed ham for decades).

When sh** goes down, ham radios become invaluable, and possibly the only form of communication. Not that I live in an area where we are likely to get a tsunami or something. :scared:

That said, I don't think the Model S was designed for ham radio operators in mind.

I like the trunk lip mount idea (assuming you're wanting to do VHF, not HF).I have used these in the past with good success.

On the other hand, it depends on how hard core you are. I got a Mercedes, and immediately drilled a big hole in the right rear fender to mount a big antenna base with stainless steel spring.I could put the Hustler antenna base with changeable resonators for 80 thru 10 meters. My wife said, "Oh, my god, you've ruined your car!" - Actually, I thought it was a great upgrade. Worked a lot of DX from that car, used it in field day, etc etc. I don't think I would do this with a Model S, though.

Another thing I've seen is to mount an antenna to a trailer hitch. You can get a lightweight trailer hitch for the Model S (see multiple threads on this) - it is designed to be able to carry bicycles, but could be fine for an antenna. If you do that, remember to mount a tennis ball in the right spot so that the antenna will not bang against the edge of the rear hatch.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
The windshield is conductive enough to cage MHz from the car interior (but not GHz). Anyone tried it as the ground plane? de WB7RAY

William, could you explain this? Glass is an insulator, and normally transparent to RF. Is the Tesla windshield doped with something that makes it conductive? And even if so, I would expect the effect to be even more pronounced in the GHz than in the MHz. I would like to understand...

William, could you explain this? Glass is an insulator, and normally transparent to RF. Is the Tesla windshield doped with something that makes it conductive? And even if so, I would expect the effect to be even more pronounced in the GHz than in the MHz. I would like to understand...

Sometimes glass treated to block solar radiation will block RF too. Remember those big GM cars whose windshields had a purplish tint to them? That was to block solar rays but it also blocked people's GPSs and radar detectors (and RFID tags I suspect, hence the problems with tolltags on Teslas). I used a "thru the glass" inductive 2m antenna on my Golf that sort-of worked, but not as good as a regular antenna, but I know it wouldn't have worked at all on glass that was treated for blocking solar rays. He may have meant that the stuff that blocks the sun and RF may spread the RF throughout the glass instead of letting it through and make it into a ground plane. But I don't think it would make a very good one personally.

Wow... I haven't been on the air in more than a decade now... so long ago, I rarely even think about it anymore. I passed my exams in the summer of 1978, a few months short of my 13th birthday. Good to know there are so many of us on this forum, even if not active!

I've still got a couple of old HF radios - an old Kenwood TS 520 and a much more modern 830 (it even has a digital display!!!). :biggrin: I keep that stuff because I have no reason to get rid of it... and whether I pull it out and string up an antenna after the apocalypse, will depend on whether I feel like talking to anyone... if it's really gone pear-shaped, I might be in a foul mood and not feel like shooting the breeze... LOL I gave up 2m in the late 90's when my mobile gave up the ghost. Not much activity, so no reason to justify replacing it. If/when I get back to the hobby, it will likely be exclusively CW on HF.

With all the web connections possible to remotely control your own home radio - whatever band - I almost wonder if you need to petition Tesla to build an app for that... rather than mount an antenna... :cool:

However, if I was to do it today, I think I'd probably look at how I could adapt the roof rack mounting points to take a typical 5/8th whip. Even if you were to mount the antennas to a single whispbar, that would probably give you enough electrical connection to the body to serve as a ground plane. That's probably the cleanest install possible without doing permanent damage to the car itself.

de VA7AV

............With all the web connections possible to remotely control your own home radio - whatever band - I almost wonder if you need to petition Tesla to build an app for that... rather than mount an antenna... :cool:

de VA7AV

I don't even remember the last time I was on. Probably doing some storm watching for Skywarn, but it's been at least a decade, probably longer.

One could always try Echolink. It uses streaming 2-way audio and the internet to talk over the whole amateur radio spectrum. I played with it once many years ago just for grins and logged into a 2m repeater in southern Illinois and actually managed to hook up with a couple of hams up there who knew a friend of mine from that neck of the woods.

Would the Tesla browser even do 2-way audio?

I don't even remember the last time I was on. Probably doing some storm watching for Skywarn, but it's been at least a decade, probably longer.

One could always try Echolink. It uses streaming 2-way audio and the internet to talk over the whole amateur radio spectrum. I played with it once many years ago just for grins and logged into a 2m repeater in southern Illinois and actually managed to hook up with a couple of hams up there who knew a friend of mine from that neck of the woods.

Would the Tesla browser even do 2-way audio?
As the hardware is configured today, I don't see why not. It can stream music from the Internet (Slacker) and the voice recognition ("Play Rolling Stones") appears to do the processing remotely. I say *appears*, because that is my impression and I have no hard facts to back that up. But both being true, it would presumably be possible for two way audio.

Of course, the reality is that the API to develop apps would need to be released, with adequate access to the features necessary. I personally don't expect that will happen anytime soon, so it's probably more reasonable to simply say "no, it won't do 2-way audio"!! :wink:

Necro'ing and cross-posting this from another thread, just so I can send notifications to all the old HAMs in this thread:

Have any of you got an HF setup on a Tesla?

I've a Model X (yes, I know, wrong forum, but again: new thread seems like a waste); and at the moment I'm just planning on pseudo-duplicating Ditpixs's setup, to start; Diamond ‘trunk-lip’ mount, RG316 through the passenger compartment and firewall up to the frunk, where I'm planning on installing the body of a ICOM IC-7100 (which are on wild sale right now — usually $2,000 MSRP, and $1,100 on Amazon, HRO is selling them for $980, with an additional manufacturer's rebate bringing it down to $880!), both to get it out of my way / give it room to stay cool, and to get easy access to the unswitched 50A terminals; then finally bringing the remote control/head-unit back into the passenger compartment, where I plan on replacing the ‘cubby’ underneath the touchscreen. All tentative, mind you.

However, I'd really like a mobile HF setup (I live in an apartment, in the middle of downtown, in Chicago — there's not really a lot of opportunity to go stringing long antennas, or setting up anything exotic, at home; not to mention that I take frequent and long roadtrips all around the U.S. … so my vehicle is really going to be my only HAM base-station) — probably a screwdriver antenna, mounted to some sort of L-bracket mounted under the rear bumper to the frame of the car? I'm not sure yet. Anyway; I'm very noob, but: I hear horror stories of HF rigs playing havoc with old-school traditional cars … which makes me terrified about what it might do to a Tesla, with all the tech in her! And although I'm just planning ahead right now, if I'm never going to be able to run any sort of worthwhile HF setup on her, then it seems silly to buy an all-band transceiver; I could get a much-cheaper, much-higher-quality UHF/VHF transceiver. (Although, still, woahbuddy, that ICOM deal.)

So, tl;dr have any HAMs here got hamsticks or a screwdriver or something on a Tesla? Is it not worth the effort, slash is it going to screw with all the electronics?

Give up ham radio? I'm only half kidding. I've been licensed since I was 17, but gave up the hobby about 10 years ago. It's slowly dying.

Hate to add to the debbie downer; Like Andrew and you, I've been a licensed ARO for 20 years. Not used it in 10. Slowly may be an understatement.

Except there are more licensed hams in the U.S. today than at any other point in history. "Dying" in your house doesn't mean dying everywhere else!

I was referred to this thread from the one I started last night (sorry -- I'm new around here!):
Have Any of You Put a 2M Ham Radio in Your Car?