Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SOLUTION - How to pay for the EV tax credit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems elegant to me, since the current proposed tax bill doesn't want to charge tax payers directly to fund the EV subsidy:

• Surcharge ALL vehicles based off their actual pollution output (ppm/mi)
  • Prius would pay little
  • Trucks and SUV would pay more (unless they were clean)
  • Use proceeds to fund EV and ZEV subsidy
  • Creates incentives directly from within the offending industry and manufacturers
Maybe we'd see more than compliance cars from just Tesla. Would make the biggest polluters pay for the EV revolution which is needed to fix their mess. I know traditional ICE manufacturers would hate this, but I love it.

Excellent plan, otherwise known as taxing externalities.

Regarding the Repub tax plan of doling out 1.3T in tax breaks to the rich and corporations over the next decade , I'm surprised to read really nothing about who is going to pay for it or what services are going to be cut. I'll make two guesses:

1. Military spending will rise
2. Cuts to healthcare will fund the corporate giveaway. I think that is why the Repubs were so keen to chop healthcare before embarking on tax reform, but the failure has left the corporate giveaway unfunded.

Tsk, tsk. And here I thought that Repubs hated more government debt and were all about a balanced budget.

Excellent plan, otherwise known as taxing externalities.

Regarding the Repub tax plan of doling out 1.3T in tax breaks to the rich and corporations over the next decade , I'm surprised to read really nothing about who is going to pay for it or what services are going to be cut. I'll make two guesses:

1. Military spending will rise
2. Cuts to healthcare will fund the corporate giveaway. I think that is why the Repubs were so keen to chop healthcare before embarking on tax reform, but the failure has left the corporate giveaway unfunded.

Tsk, tsk. And here I thought that Repubs hated more government debt and were all about a balanced budget.
Politicians only care about things when they’re running against the opposing party

Reactions: insaneoctane
Seems elegant to me, since the current proposed tax bill doesn't want to charge tax payers directly to fund the EV subsidy:

• Prius would pay little
  • Creates incentives directly from within the offending industry and manufacturers
Maybe we'd see more than compliance cars from just Tesla. Would make the biggest polluters pay for the EV revolution which is needed to fix their mess. I know traditional ICE manufacturers would hate this, but I love it.

Out of curiosity, are you recommending this as an attachment to new vehicle sales, or ongoing operations? I'm not seeing where you think this "surcharge" should be paid.

Out of curiosity, are you recommending this as an attachment to new vehicle sales, or ongoing operations? I'm not seeing where you think this "surcharge" should be paid.
Collect at time of new vehicle sale. Seems like it would cost between $50 and $100 per vehicle on average. Obviously, per the recommended plan, the Prius would pay much less than the average and the belching Excursion would pay much more.

• Prius would pay little
There is already a significant surcharge on actual pollution output in the form of fuel taxes. The EPA even publishes the cost of that tax in big bold letters on the Monroney window sticker on every car sold.

This proposal makes the common assumption that the federal EV tax credit costs us money.

The EV credit was sized and placed specifically to offset petroleum subsidies. In 2008 the Bush administration asked the DOE what an EV credit should be. The DOE asked the GAO to calculate petroleum subsidies; they came up with an average of $12k per ICE over it's lifetime*. $7,500 was calculated to be the NPV of $12k.

It was never intended to tilt the costs towards EVs, it was intended to level the costs already tilted towards petroleum.

Plus not everybody can or does take the credit (I have only fully taken it once, and I am on my 5th PEV), so letting EV owners keep their money "costs" far less than $7,500 per EV sold. But even if it was $7,500 per car, my point is that it doesn't cost us any more than someone buying an ICE. Personally, I would rather just see all the subsidies go away...

* The GAO definition of subsidies includes tax credits, but does NOT include externalities, wars, Hormuz security, etc

Last edited:
There is already a significant surcharge on actual pollution output in the form of fuel taxes. The EPA even publishes the cost of that tax in big bold letters on the Monroney window sticker on every car sold.
My suggestion uses the extra "tax" on furthering technology to aid the ultimate development of sustainable transportation. Where does the fuel tax money go?

Reactions: DR61
Elon already suggested this, a Carbon Tax to penalizing those who are pollute the environment rather than subsidising those who want to go green.

We all know how that ended with the Trump's choice to head the EPA, leave the Paris agreement and Elon's decision to bow out of Trump's advisory council.

are you saying that Tesla autos do not pollute the environment?