Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poor lil' ol' Tesla being ganged up on by those evil, conniving "informed consumers". The sheer audacity of it all!

Can we end with the off topic now and go back to posting about how no one is getting any new AMD CPUs and start a support group as the slim glimmer of hope is slowly extinguished for all of us with pending deliveries in the next couple of months?

I don’t understand why people are mad because someone is giving their car to someone else and willing to wait (because it benefits them - why else would anyone do that??) as allowed by the Tesla policies.

The Costco example makes no sense - no one is returning anything to Tesla.

It's not that different from the Costco example though. The car was transported to the OP's service center for delivery to him/her, only then they refused it.
As far as the agreement defining what's "legitimate" - that's exactly why I used the word "abuse". Much like the Costco return policy does not define a "legitimate" return reason. No one is debating the legality of OP's actions, just the moral aspect of doing so.

I never said it was transported. You assumed that. It is still in Fremont. I was just assigned a VIN. I did not accept it. I inquired about the chip and decided to pass on it. Also, why are we still talking about this? Move on people. Have a great week.

Reactions: mwdietertg
I never said it was transported. You assumed that. It is still in Fremont. I was just assigned a VIN. I did not accept it. I inquired about the chip and decided to pass on it. Also, why are we still talking about this? Move on people. Have a great week.

But you also said:
"My SA said someone called today and wanted to take delivery asap so she matched the vin to that person."

So your SA was able to pull a Fremont vehicle that went back into the system to Irvine?
I call BS. I'd put $100 on that vehicle already being en-route or at the delivery center.
Yes, let's move on...

I agree you're not screwing anybody else. That said, people like you should be kicked to the back of the line. Hopefully they'll implement that in the near future.
They're potentially screwing the people who intentionally waited to order to get delivery in a certain time frame for whatever reasons they chose--which could legitimately be waiting for the tax credit or upgrades or vacation or a new house or whatever. But those legitimately did it by waiting to order, instead of jumping into the 'I want it ASAP' queue, and then jumping out, and then jumping in again, etc. And they're essentially screwing everybody, Tesla and other Tesla buyers, by introducing unpredictability and uncertainty into the delivery process. And finally, they'll end up screwing everybody when Tesla has to do things like change or eliminate the hold policy, change deposit terms, etc, to prevent abuse, just like LL Bean had to cancel unlimited returns policy because clowns would return shirts after 15 years when a button fell off. And they all said 'Hey, it was within the terms, so it's ok'; and of course any normal and fair person would understand that was not the intent. And manipulating the hold policy for tax credits or future features isn't the intent of the hold policy, and it's hard for me to describe how little weight the 'Well, it's 'legal' with the terms so it's ok' argument carries with me.

And I AM (or was until I retired a few years ago) a Contracting Officer. Never in a million years would I award a contract that wasn't 'fair and reasonable'; if someone made an apparent error in their proposal in our favor I'd never accept it, I'd send it back questioning whether there was an error and give them a chance to fix it. I didn't have to do that, but my job wasn't to screw people, it was to negotiate a contract that was fair and reasonable to both sides.

Look, everyone understands the 'Me first, whatever I can get away with is ok' argument, it's not difficult or profound. You'll never in a million years change their mind, you'll just make them mad because nobody wants to hear that some people thing they're doing something 'wrong'. And of course they're never going to convince me that abusing the hold policy to get things they didn't pay for instead of legitimate personal reasons is right.

So having said all that, I also think Tesla should send folks coming off hold to the back of the line. But they should also build in some more latitude in their three-day delivery window because sometimes folks are forced into holds simply because they're unavailable for a week--which of course occurs more often than it should because deliveries are less predictable because we have folks jumping in and out of line to game the system. Allow folks to pay some sort of holding fee if they need to extend beyond the three day window; $25/day or whatever. Then if you have to delay until the following week when you get back from vacation or whatever the issue is you can decide if that's worth $150, or go on hold and go to the back of the line. But at least they wouldn't be forced onto hold.

Right now I'm having trouble getting my money lined up for the initial deposit--I'm putting $30K down. And that takes time because I needed to sell stock, then wait for the sale to clear, Then I needed to transfer the money from my brokerage account to a checking account I can use. If thanks to people like our friends here pulling their orders out of line they all of a sudden text me today saying pick up in the next three days or go on hold, I'll be screwed. My EDD is 18 - 24 Jan so I SHOULD be ok, but you can never know because of the people abusing the hold system.

I doubt that will happen because I don't think there are nearly as many people doing it for the upgrades as there were for the tax credit, but you can never know. All it takes is one person at my delivery center with my configuration pulling that stunt with a car in transit or on the lot, and I'm next in line.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, apologies for the stupid question (I'm new here!) but can someone link me to a better thread / site / whatever on tracking Model Y deliveries and what CPUs they are coming with? My EDD got pushed to Feb 22 - March 22 and I'm really hoping that puts me in Ryzen country. Would be nice to keep tabs on what people are getting now that we're in the new year instead of arguing about Costco return policies or whatever is happening here.

Thanks in advance! Really looking forward to this car and we're super stoked to get the latest and greatest if we can.

Reactions: eab6287
Hey everyone, apologies for the stupid question (I'm new here!) but can someone link me to a better thread / site / whatever on tracking Model Y deliveries and what CPUs they are coming with? My EDD got pushed to Feb 22 - March 22 and I'm really hoping that puts me in Ryzen country. Would be nice to keep tabs on what people are getting now that we're in the new year instead of arguing about Costco return policies or whatever is happening here.

Thanks in advance! Really looking forward to this car and we're super stoked to get the latest and greatest if we can.
MYLR or MYP vs. VIN vs. MCU type vs. Battery type Tracker

Got a message from my SA that my car which was manufactured on Jan 5th will not have the new chip. They have been told by HQ that around mid to end of Q2 all cars will have the new chip but until then a few here and there will have it as they ramp up. FYI to anyone still wondering. oh and btw they can figure it out by the VIN so if you need to find out what yours comes with, you can reach out and ask.

Personally i am going to go through with picking up mine and maybe sell it in a year or two / upgrade to a newer model then. no reason to hold off for the chip. in a year or two there will be a dozen new things most likely so its a losing game trying to time the market : ) time in the market is better and more enjoyable lol

Got a message from my SA that my car which was manufactured on Jan 5th will not have the new chip. They have been told by HQ that around mid to end of Q2 all cars will have the new chip but until then a few here and there will have it as they ramp up. FYI to anyone still wondering. oh and btw they can figure it out by the VIN so if you need to find out what yours comes with, you can reach out and ask.

Personally i am going to go through with picking up mine and maybe sell it in a year or two / upgrade to a newer model then. no reason to hold off for the chip. in a year or two there will be a dozen new things most likely so its a losing game trying to time the market : ) time in the market is better and more enjoyable lol
I strongly dont think the SA have any clue and this is just speculation, everyone is staying quiet so current orders/sales are not affected, they will do like they do every new change, a running change, this has been their usual behavior, parts change anytime of the year at no specific time.

I highly, highly doubt that Tesla have 4-6 MOS of the old processors just sitting around and will just be randomly peppering in Ryzens randomly until the end of Q2. That would be a complete nightmare from a demand/production planning and servicing perspective, and Tesla is all about making production and support as streamlined as possible.

That's what I'm going to do. What I really want is the 4680, battery pack, megacastings, maybe air suspension, etc. That will be the 'forever' car and I'll probably get FSD, the whole thing. So I'll drive this car for a year or so until all that stuff has come to pass. But one lesson I've learned in this is I can't just wait until the projected delivery date is after the projected implementation of those things, because a projected five month wait could turn into a three month wait when folks take themselves out of line and I could end up on the wrong side of the cutoff that maybe I waited an extra two months before ordering to be sure I'd make. There will be an 'end state' for series 2 MYLR or whatever you want to call it--and a potential tax credit--and I'll just have to wait until we're actually over the line to order.

I highly, highly doubt that Tesla have 4-6 MOS of the old processors just sitting around and will just be randomly peppering in Ryzens randomly until the end of Q2. That would be a complete nightmare from a demand/production planning and servicing perspective, and Tesla is all about making production and support as streamlined as possible.
Just a rumor but iv heard/read that ryzen will be on all cars more recently and it’s the heated windshield wipers that won’t be completed until Q2. I agree. Makes no sense to sprinkle Ryzen in random cars like it’s the golden ticket from Charlie’s chocolate factory. They are probably very very close to finishing through atom. Imo

Reactions: TEXAS-Y-P
Just a rumor but iv heard/read that ryzen will be on all cars more recently and it’s the heated windshield wipers that won’t be completed until Q2. I agree. Makes no sense to sprinkle Ryzen in random cars like it’s the golden ticket from Charlie’s chocolate factory. They are probably very very close to finishing through atom. Imo

Im kind of hoping they first prioritize the heated windshield wipers for the colder climate areas. Doubt people in Florida would even care about something like this, but in CNY they would get a lot of use.