Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: canada
Nothing reported in the US and it could be due to the different methods of testing efficiency around the world. But, in general yes, if something is more power hungry (the AMD is) it takes more battery. Surprising that it would be 2-3% of range impact though. Definitely surprising for Tesla to do that.

Nothing reported in the US and it could be due to the different methods of testing efficiency around the world. But, in general yes, if something is more power hungry (the AMD is) it takes more battery. Surprising that it would be 2-3% of range impact though. Definitely surprising for Tesla to do that.
Maybe they will unlock the additional battery cells in the 82kWh batteries. From my understanding they are locked at 79kWh.

Agreed, I’m shocked that the change from Intel to AMD = a full 22km loss of range.

This does not make sense, 22/624 = 0.037.

That's a whopping 3.7% difference, and based on the
@MotorMatchup efficiency data, https://www.motormatchup.com/efficiency. If cruise at 65mph, total power is 12.51KW and 0.037 of that is 441 watts additional electricity consumed compared to Atom processor.
A desktop version of 8 core Ryzen should have a TDP around 65w if not OC, that's at full load. I think it's quite easy for Tesla to undervolt the CPU and still have more than enough performance compared to Atom. Well, the discrete GPU might consume more energy too, but still the combined power consumption should not exceed a fully blown gaming laptop, which is around 150W.

Maybe AMD was supposed to pair up with structrural battery, which can easily offset the loss of mileage since it's flexibile in capacity and tuning but things get delayed. So, who gets AMD with structrural battery pack (the orginal full 2022 spec) first?

This does not make sense, 22/624 = 0.037.

That's a whopping 3.7% difference, and based on the
@MotorMatchup efficiency data, https://www.motormatchup.com/efficiency. If cruise at 65mph, total power is 12.51KW and 0.037 of that is 441 watts additional electricity consumed compared to Atom processor.
A desktop version of 8 core Ryzen should have a TDP around 65w if not OC, that's at full load. I think it's quite easy for Tesla to undervolt the CPU and still have more than enough performance compared to Atom. Well, the discrete GPU might consume more energy too, but still the combined power consumption should not exceed a fully blown gaming laptop, which is around 150W.
More power consumption for the new CPU/GPU is expected but increase over 400W makes little sense...

Reactions: kiddole
SA just confirmed by text to me and provided me the following on my MYP (Pickup scheduled at 2pm today):

Birthday: Tue Jan 11,2022
AMD Ryzen
15V battery
Updated headlights
Edit - Ignore the bit below. Missed the MYP part in the post that was the most important bit 😁

Would love pics of updated headlights if true. Haven't really seen that yet. Someone posted about it here or in the other partner thread but the pic they shared made it look like the non matrix headlights...

Last edited: