Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone Push Me Over the Edge or Pull me Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything is all setup for a white on white sr+ delivery for me.

Though, I'm still apprehensive. Here's why:
-I live in PA and would much prefer AWD with the range in the winter and just in general. LR RWD would have been acceptable too but no longer an option.

Right now I can really only afford the SR+ because there is almost $6000 off + 2 years free supercharging. In PA there's an additional $1500 from the state and $2500 from a light company for EV's. Everything pretty much expires year end though.

So, my dilemma is do I wait another year/two and just get what I want - a LR awd or performance with maybe even FSD?

Or should I take get the SR+ and trade it in 2-3 years down the road and take advantage of the deals? I don't hold on to cars for more than 4 years max. I'm worried that the SR+ prices might be 20-25k used and I'll get crushed on trade in during that time or it's also possible LR AWD will still be in the mid to high 30's even after a couple of years....

Or do I go completely off the deep end and just buy an overpriced 35 year old toyota corolla?

How are you getting $6,000 off?

Are you willing to pay the range penalty all year long for the 4 or 5 days in the winter when there's actually an active snow storm while you're driving? Here in WI, if it snows overnight the roads are pretty much cleared and dry the next morning.

How are you getting $6,000 off?

Are you willing to pay the range penalty all year long for the 4 or 5 days in the winter when there's actually an active snow storm while you're driving? Here in WI, if it snows overnight the roads are pretty much cleared and dry the next morning.
$1875 tax credit + $2500 light company rebate + $1500 pa state ev rebate

It's $5875, but close enough

I honestly would like the LR for resale, the speakers, power, etc. Like all upgrades I want but the $10k difference seems too steep because I want FSD at some point somehow.

Rwd doesn't bother me too much and most I drive is 100 miles in a day. It would just be nicer on roadtrips and future proof to have 300 miles of range + faster charging. But I'm fomo'ing on this money off

Reactions: KenC
I want a LR RWD, the difference used to only be like $6k, but they're hard to find now. It's not worth an extra $10k for another 100 miles of range and if I want to go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds (AWD) I have another car that will do it faster. For a daily driver AWD doesn't make sense. Traction control is so good these days that snow shouldn't be a problem.

I want a LR RWD, the difference used to only be like $6k, but they're hard to find now. It's not worth an extra $10k for another 100 miles of range and if I want to go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds (AWD) I have another car that will do it faster. For a daily driver AWD doesn't make sense. Traction control is so good these days that snow shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I have some fun cars, nothing quite as fast to 60 as the m3p, maybeeee could get one close with some extra time and $$. But I just love that instant power and I am one of the people to do 0-60 at every light just because.

But I'm trying to be a big grown up and not get into trouble. Rwd is fine too, drove a miata for 4 winters actually no problem! I know down the line I will want to upgrade this SR+

The tax credits/rebates are significant. I would not personally want to wait until next year to buy and give up all that money. So if I were you I would buy this year. As to whether you buy SR+ or AWD it comes down to how much you are comfortable spending. Clearly you are leaning toward wanting the extra features that come with the AWD model (upgraded interior, faster, more range). But it has to fit your budget.

Is Tesla offering any incentives to close by end of month?

The tax credits/rebates are significant. I would not personally want to wait until next year to buy and give up all that money. So if I were you I would buy this year. As to whether you buy SR+ or AWD it comes down to how much you are comfortable spending. Clearly you are leaning toward wanting the extra features that come with the AWD model (upgraded interior, faster, more range). But it has to fit your budget.

Is Tesla offering any incentives to close by end of month?

Just the 2 year free supercharging.... Which is nice. Yeah, I do not want to spend the extra $150-$200mo on the car. I'm financing 30k which is more than enough for me for a car.

Have you considered looking at a lease?
I have, but the leases seem kind of bad. $399/mo with $5000 down at the end of the day with fees and acquisition. Add tax $440/mo over 3 years is 20k and I do not believe the sr+ depreciate 20k in 3 years honestly. Maybe 10-15k though

Last edited:
Just the 2 year free supercharging.... Which is nice. Yeah, I do not want to spend the extra $150-$200mo on the car. I'm financing 30k which is more than enough for me for a car.

I just helped a family member take delivery of a white/white SR. He absolutely loves it. The color combination is gorgeous. Personally I never use Autopilot so I’d be just as happy to save a few thousand dollars and downgrade from the SR+ to SR. The 20 miles less range is not significant for me as I rarely drive more than 50 miles in a day and I charge at home every night.

The LR battery is nice for those few road trips a year but you have to evaluate how frequently those happen. If we go on a 600+ mile trip we’ve found it so cheap to rent a car that we just prefer to do that anyway rather than putting all of the miles on our own cars.

The difference in 0-60 speed between the SR+ and the LR RWD is only .3 seconds...or .8 seconds compare to the LR AWD. In every day driving the SR+ is quite fast. If I had an AWD I might get myself in trouble.

I think you’ll be very happy with the SR+. If they don’t have any black interiors in stock you might be able to get a free upgrade by telling them you want a white/black car and see if they offer to comp you the white interior if you close by month end. Just don’t tell them you want the white interior or they won’t offer any discount.

If we go on a 600+ mile trip we’ve found it so cheap to rent a car that we just prefer to do that anyway rather than putting all of the miles on our own cars.

I really don't understand this mentality, unless you are leasing. Why settle for a noisy, polluting ICE throwback when you have such an awesome car?

OP, road trips are the best fun in a Tesla. The car is built for high mileage, no engine to wear out. We have so much fun in ours we have put 3000 miles on it in 6 weeks!
Part of the fun is visiting different superchargers, finding new places to explore.

Also bear in mind that the trend so far with Tesla is that price more or less has been dropping in line with the federal rebate reduction.

We have a LR P3D-, but if you plot routes on ABRP, the stops are not that much more on a long trip. In your shoes, I'd buy and just enjoy the thing! I'd have no hesitation about having a SR+, and we're a one car family.

I would do it. Actually I am doing it, picking up my M3 AWD this afternoon. Once I broke down all the numbers the M3 was the best way to go from a pure numbers perspective. Yes the vehicle is going to cost more but when factoring in fuel and maintenance the M3 wins.

Reactions: RandomX
Congratulations :cool:
Lmao

I would do it. Actually I am doing it, picking up my M3 AWD this afternoon. Once I broke down all the numbers the M3 was the best way to go from a pure numbers perspective. Yes the vehicle is going to cost more but when factoring in fuel and maintenance the M3 wins.
But see, you went AWD!!

I'm getting nervous haha, I'm thinking I could not get the tesla and buy more mods for my other cars but talk about an even worse ROI. Guess I'll just be more motivated to hustle :)

I also gotta use 120v charging for a bit, so that's also a thing ti consider