Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Something my wife and I hacked together this week- an Android app that acts as an instrument cluster

It’s close to a release candidate, starting to load it into Google Play for testers. The best experience I’ve seen is on a Pixel 2XL. I’ve tested on anything from a Nexus 6/7, Xperia Z3 (Android 6.0.1), and my Z Flip 3. The best device I think for the money is a Pixel 2 XL because it doesn’t have a notch or hle punch camera, is plenty fast, and easy to configure for auto boot when plugged in. I run mine with the latest Android 10 build (which you can actually flash from a browser, which is neat) because there are some Android 11 layout issues I haven’t solved in split screen.

If you have a CANserver and want to test shoot me a PM.

• Helpful
Reactions: ArtK and tm1v2
It’s close to a release candidate, starting to load it into Google Play for testers. The best experience I’ve seen is on a Pixel 2XL. I’ve tested on anything from a Nexus 6/7, Xperia Z3 (Android 6.0.1), and my Z Flip 3. The best device I think for the money is a Pixel 2 XL because it doesn’t have a notch or hle punch camera, is plenty fast, and easy to configure for auto boot when plugged in. I run mine with the latest Android 10 build (which you can actually flash from a browser, which is neat) because there are some Android 11 layout issues I haven’t solved in split screen.

If you have a CANserver and want to test shoot me a PM.
Just purchased a Google Pixel 2XL

Reactions: zesh
Anyway, my wife and I hacked this together this week (mostly her) and got basic functionality working in car.
Meanwhile, my wife and I spent our week hacking together a pollinator bed of wildflowers. Any bets on which couple spent more time in college? :)

Seriously, this is great work. Can we feed this with the same hardware we're using to feed ScanMyTesla?

Reactions: gunthermic
Meanwhile, my wife and I spent our week hacking together a pollinator bed of wildflowers. Any bets on which couple spent more time in college? :)

Seriously, this is great work. Can we feed this with the same hardware we're using to feed ScanMyTesla?
If you have a CANserver for SMT, yes. It's the only hardware that can easily tap into the chassis bus for autopilot data. Other adapters are on the "someday" list. This is a fun open source project for me so maybe someone with experience implementing support for other adapters can contribute, if not it's something I do want to eventually do. For now I'm just trying to get this out to more testers, knowing full well that not many people have CANservers.

Reactions: Baluchi
Getting closer to making this open source- here's the mount I designed, and I included STEP if you want to modify.

Link? Too obscure for my phone to find
NM found it.. looks funny on my pixel 5... Does not use whole screen

Screenshot_20220119-025924.png

Links:

CANdash – A simple Android powered instrument cluster for your Tesla Model 3 or Model Y (play store link on bottom)
GitHub - osunick/candash: A simple Android app that turns your phone into an instrument cluster for your Tesla Model 3 and Y (public repo of code)

This is still early in the project, expect many bugs. I have tested on Android 6-12 but as you can see there can be layout issues. I suspect I'm not dealing with hole punch cameras well. My device of choice for this is a Pixel 2XL running Android 10 as they are pretty cheap to get, fast, and have a nice OLED with no hole punches.

Yeah.. it has the punch out camera so it stops below that.. looks weird cause it has rounded edges on one side but square on the other along with the black bar edge

Rounded edges doesn't come through in screen shot
OK, tested on my Android 12 Flip 3 5G and pushed out a change to the play store. You should get an update once it's reviewed.

Reactions: gt2690b

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC