Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
definitely fanboygasming

0 mention of how much better anything is other than purtier icons, so it's awesome

While tesla has hidden most useful every day controls behind 2 layers of touch and eye coordination

-window defog/defrost (if seat heaters are permanent on home screen...window defrost/defog would definitely be on a higher priority hierarchy since rear window defrost auto-offs after a certain time and you won't know until your rear is flogged up again)

-touch sliding fan control

-dashcam footage save icon is honksmash and hidden away (when it definitely would've benefited from a bigger and more recognizable icon on home screen

-side repeater camera on when signaling finally gets implemented (poorly and can only afford a small screen real estate at lower left screen corner...where you probably can't see it anyway with your peripheral and even if you specifically look at it)

After playing around with this for two days, I'm really starting to like the new UI. Actually, pretty surprised by so many negative comments here, to me its very intuitive. I think we're getting a view of the direction they're going in, I don't see it bad at all. It's not the perfect start, but I can see that this could get really good with some future additions. Maybe people are jumping too fast to conclusions, but man there's some high negativity going on here. You certainly can't satisfy everyone. Some points:

I've heard comments about losing the slide cards and people can't find the tire pressures. This is just absurd to me, I hated those slide cards.....I always hit them wrong, something else came up, I can't understand why this is the most important thing to complain about. What car leaves your tire pressures easily accessible with one button hit? So now it's two buttons,.....so you hit the two buttons at a stop light, you shouldn't be checking tire pressures while driving anyhow.

So many people complaining about turning the wipers on.....this is so simple, hit the stalk for one swipe, and the pop up control is right there......

I know Tidal came in before this UI, but I'm really liking this now. Cars don't come with CD players anymore, with Tidal I can get CD quality without the player. So, yes, you have to download at your home over WiFi, how is that different than remembering what CD's to bring into your car? I've been in the garage playing with Tidal, you can easily download any album you like. I have no idea how much memory I'm wiping out, but so far I've downloaded about 12 albums in hifi with no issues, as well as multiple play lists. Plus Tidal is already creating custom mixes for me over my WiFi....it's pretty cool actually. The sound quality is awesome.

People are complaining about the 4 icon limit at the bottom panel.....but this is a great start. Put down there what each user wants. In the future they need to increase it beyond 4, as well as open up other tools to icons, but they've moved in this direction and I like it. It can only get better.

People are complaining about the lack of the garage door opener control. I'm thinking they just haven't looked much....you turn into your driveway, it's right on the bottom, in much larger icons. I often hit the wrong door button in the previous versions....I like this, I'm all thumbs. If the turn signal blind spot camera blocks those icons, the home button is still at the top....big deal?

People have complained about the music controls....I'm loving them actually. If you're using Tidal now, just hit the dropdown menu on the "Tidal" and you get every option, totally intuitive. Love the subwoofer separate control also. Would love them to eventually add Apple Music, but now doing lossless with Tidal, not sure I'd like Apple Music as much, I suspect their lossless music has to download over WiFi too.

People have complained they can't find the superchargers on the navigation map.....it's easy, right on the navigation search bar.....it seems to be much easier to touch that with a larger icon while you're driving. I always had problems touching the screen smaller icon while driving, this is safer. Also, the list of superchargers lists the kW speed right on the navigation bar now, much easier than touching the icon on the map to see the speeds.

People bitching about the appearance of the icons......come on, this is getting silly. At least we have icons, I love that they're easier to see now with color contrasts.

I could go on and on.......but it's true those who are unhappy are most likely to post on social media. Maybe I'm in the silent majority?? Get a grip on reality, people driving other OEM cars can only dream of the stuff everyone is complaining about here.

Okay, I'm ready for a good beating now. :)
I'm glad you like it, seriously.. Too bad, it's not a start. Tesla seem to believe in a significant rewrite, not incremental improvement.

Last edited:
I've found that tapping the wiper stalk with the left hand, switching hands on the wheel, then tapping a tiny wiper control button to be dicey. Hopefully the new larger buttons will work better.

My partner hates to use the touch screen while driving.

The lighting quick controls panel is good news.

The lighting quick controls panel is good news, except that you have to flash your lights or turn on main beam to get to it - not ideal if you're in traffic or there's a car in front of you! I can just imagine people wondering why you're flashing them - just to get to your lighting menu!

What an abomination to humanity is this latest monstrosity of a UI.

What whipper-snapper developer(s) decided to use menus --- I want BIG icon buttons at the top level for freakin' everything. Never mind that I can't use my fingers some of time because of arthritis. Menus are for ordering food, gawd damn it!

Who decided to make the navigation map area smaller? Now I can't see the gopher holes on the map with satellite view turned on ... this is freakin' crap!

Who decided to use a 15-inch screen --- I want a 50-inch screen for my aging eyes, damn it! By the way, who decided to mount the screen in the middle of the driver's cockpit? I can't monitor the freakin' screen as I pull up to the In-N-Out Burger or Freddy's Frozon Custard & Steakburgers drive through windows ... this is freakin' insane!

We need to gather our voices and demand another amendment to the Constitution, damn it!

BTW, I can get use to this UI 😐

Oh, and everyone enjoy your holidays, damn it ...
You, sir or ms., are clearly multi-sarcasmic.

• Funny
Reactions: elf9 and Tezlowski
After playing around with this for two days, I'm really starting to like the new UI. Actually, pretty surprised by so many negative comments here, to me its very intuitive. I think we're getting a view of the direction they're going in, I don't see it bad at all. It's not the perfect start, but I can see that this could get really good with some future additions. Maybe people are jumping too fast to conclusions, but man there's some high negativity going on here. You certainly can't satisfy everyone. Some points:

I've heard comments about losing the slide cards and people can't find the tire pressures. This is just absurd to me, I hated those slide cards.....I always hit them wrong, something else came up, I can't understand why this is the most important thing to complain about. What car leaves your tire pressures easily accessible with one button hit? So now it's two buttons,.....so you hit the two buttons at a stop light, you shouldn't be checking tire pressures while driving anyhow.

So many people complaining about turning the wipers on.....this is so simple, hit the stalk for one swipe, and the pop up control is right there......

I know Tidal came in before this UI, but I'm really liking this now. Cars don't come with CD players anymore, with Tidal I can get CD quality without the player. So, yes, you have to download at your home over WiFi, how is that different than remembering what CD's to bring into your car? I've been in the garage playing with Tidal, you can easily download any album you like. I have no idea how much memory I'm wiping out, but so far I've downloaded about 12 albums in hifi with no issues, as well as multiple play lists. Plus Tidal is already creating custom mixes for me over my WiFi....it's pretty cool actually. The sound quality is awesome.

People are complaining about the 4 icon limit at the bottom panel.....but this is a great start. Put down there what each user wants. In the future they need to increase it beyond 4, as well as open up other tools to icons, but they've moved in this direction and I like it. It can only get better.

People are complaining about the lack of the garage door opener control. I'm thinking they just haven't looked much....you turn into your driveway, it's right on the bottom, in much larger icons. I often hit the wrong door button in the previous versions....I like this, I'm all thumbs. If the turn signal blind spot camera blocks those icons, the home button is still at the top....big deal?

People have complained about the music controls....I'm loving them actually. If you're using Tidal now, just hit the dropdown menu on the "Tidal" and you get every option, totally intuitive. Love the subwoofer separate control also. Would love them to eventually add Apple Music, but now doing lossless with Tidal, not sure I'd like Apple Music as much, I suspect their lossless music has to download over WiFi too.

People have complained they can't find the superchargers on the navigation map.....it's easy, right on the navigation search bar.....it seems to be much easier to touch that with a larger icon while you're driving. I always had problems touching the screen smaller icon while driving, this is safer. Also, the list of superchargers lists the kW speed right on the navigation bar now, much easier than touching the icon on the map to see the speeds.

People bitching about the appearance of the icons......come on, this is getting silly. At least we have icons, I love that they're easier to see now with color contrasts.

I could go on and on.......but it's true those who are unhappy are most likely to post on social media. Maybe I'm in the silent majority?? Get a grip on reality, people driving other OEM cars can only dream of the stuff everyone is complaining about here.

Okay, I'm ready for a good beating now. :)
+1 You nailed it, ditto!

I would add (I mentioned on another hate thread) that this non-sense about saving dash cam footage all the time is a bit out of hand too. As in, what is the need beyond a honk to save footage constantly.

The new font is great too.

Love the easy accessibility to the phone too.

Like you said, they’ll keep fine tuning it too.

I am neutral on the new app. Other than the pop up blind spot camera, I can't think of any new driving related functionality. Things have moved around and icons have been redesigned, just like every modern user interface. It took a couple drives to get used to the new layout and I'm cool with it.

Tesla says they can detect uneven tire wear. I'd like to see that charted on a service display.

+1 You nailed it, ditto!

I would add (I mentioned on another hate thread) that this non-sense about saving dash cam footage all the time is a bit out of hand too. As in, what is the need beyond a honk to save footage constantly.

The new font is great too.

Love the easy accessibility to the phone too.

Like you said, they’ll keep fine tuning it too.
The always saving dashcam video captured someone backing into my car in a parking lot. I was stopped, but in drive. I had completely forgot the car was recording until i was driving home after exchanging insurance info. When I got home I checked the drive and it was in the always dashcam recording folder.

The always saving dashcam video captured someone backing into my car in a parking lot. I was stopped, but in drive. I had completely forgot the car was recording until i was driving home after exchanging insurance info. When I got home I checked the drive and it was in the always dashcam recording folder.
Right… so why the need to do this manually like all the complaints??? That’s exactly how it should work.

Here is my take on the GUI. Nice update, but for sure room for improvement.

1) Controls should be customizable on the bottom, just like Apps are. You should be able to place front/rear defrost, heated seat control, etc, on the bottom row. Removing them to a secondary menu when there is ample space available is no good.
2) Removal of the "cards" is another step backwards. If anything card functionality should have been expanded. Trip statistics and tire pressure now is hidden in a secondary menu. If you want to view this you lose access to the map. Big fail in my opinion. Cards need to be brought back or at least the Trip information needs to be placed on the left side and visible while driving. This affects anyone taking a longer trip who likes to monitor their efficiency, see how far they have traveled, etc. Big loss of functionality and I am really upset at this.
3) Smaller fonts and icons....does Tesla not listen? Many people have been asking for LARGER fonts for years. At least the option to change font sizes. I don't like the smaller autopilot icon - too small. The GUI should be font-sensitive. Looks like it is not. Bad coding. They would need to re-write the entire GUI to support this most likely, which is probably why they haven't done it.
4) Placement of the blind spot camera is not optimal and sort of looks like a hack. I have found myself looking DOWN at that image and not in my mirrors or over my shoulder as I should. Still thinking about this one but I think placing it at the TOP of the screen would have been better. It would be closer to being in-line with your sight. Also it is not fast enough sometimes to display. It's like a 1/2 second or 1/4 of a second too slow to come up. It seems to be a tiny bit variable. Anyway a light in the mirror is still better. Most cars have this now and Tesla should bite the bullet and put a blind spot indicator light in the mirror.
5) Fan adjustment is just a slider. There should be + and - icons on either side of the slider. I find myself jabbing at the circle to try to raise or lower the fan while driving, especially if you have to reach a bit (eg. your arms aren't super long or your seating position is further back). + and - icons would be easier to press. And more accurate.
6) They took away the minutes/seconds display of a song (in streaming anyway). First thing my autistic son mentioned to me. He also said everything looks smaller. Also I don't really like the switch to two-row and thus smaller album art. Yes I know you can swipe up to get bigger art. Still. I liked it better before with the larger album art icons all the time.
7) Many of the screens don't have an X to close it. You have to swipe down or press the car button for them to go away. But it's not consistent. Anyway there is space for the X so why take it away?
8) Current driver profile is now missing from the top of the screen. I liked to know what profile I'm in and be quickly able to change it. The car does not always get it right so I have to manually switch it sometimes, especially when leaving my house - if my wife's phone is still within bluetooth range it will think it is her even when I sit down in the car to drive away with my phone.

I am sure there are other things I will find, but overall I am not happy about this update. I get a feeling Tesla doesn't listen to customers or actually think about functionality needed while driving, especially for those in colder climates where quick access to heated seat control, defrost control, and efficiency information are very important.

Right… so why the need to do this manually like all the complaints??? That’s exactly how it should work.
I misunderstood the comment. I thought it was trying to say ‘remove the always recording feature’ which it’s talking about something by else.

I don’t need to access the save feature unless something goes wrong. (And I would say the 1 time I used that feature it failed to work as advertised. Saved a 0 second recording).

I will say I will miss the red-dot telling me it’s recording or sentry mode is on. I would routinely look to see if those were lit. Not that I trust those indicators anymore.. they can be lit and it can be failing to record (from personal experience). But if they’re not lit I know for sure it’s not recording.

As a side note they appeared to have removed the warning system when recording is failing (for whatever reason). I’m sure it was too hard to make reliable.

Reactions: Benbo and Tezlowski
Yes, except Hulu has been broken for many of us with the DEV302 error for months. I had high hopes that it would have been fixed in one of the last two updates. Nope. Sad.
I have a feeling that this is 100% a hulu error. For many of us suffering this bug, the hulu live guide is also early by 1 to 3 hours. My theory is that the hulu app is not an app at all rather a website run by the Tesla web browser. Here are some thoughts. The time zone error has something to do with the Tesla web browser only clearing its cache when one does a factory reset of the car, which of course destroys all the car's user settings. Powering off the car doesn't help nor does the two button/brake method, neither of which are equivalent to a factory reset. In some US cars, the Fremont CA time zone value is etched into the Tesla web browser cache used for hulu. Other cars don't seem to have this problem. hulu should reading the time zone value from the car directly and update it with each hulu session.

Also of note is that the Tesla Disney+ "app" works fine and ESPN+ from the Tesla web browser also works fine, although in contrast the ESPN hub from Hulu does not. ESPN+, Disney+ and Hulu are all Disney products.

Reactions: Pseudofinn
Tell me more about this Tidal and downloading over wifi.
Does it require a subscription? I don't miss the burning of CD's but it was fun times.
It's clear as mud, in a nutshell. Some details are confusing....here goes.....

You have to have a subscription.....go on the Tidal web site, they offer 3 months of HiFi as a trial period for $1.
Then you go into your car, open up Tidal, and it gives you a QR code to get to a sign on screen to use your new subscription username on.
You can only load HiFi level music via WiFi.
You can search for any artist, and it appears they have really great albums and mixes of every major artist. For instance, I search Beatles and there are every album from the 2009 remix versions, plus special version I didn't know about, plus multiple Beatles mixes....it's pretty complete. All the stuff is the latest remix from each artist from what I can see.
No one has confirmed yet where this music is saved, but it doesn't appear to be saved on the flash drive where my car videos are saved.
No one seems to know how much memory is available for download. I thought I had downloaded about 12 albums, but then when I double checked later I saw maybe 4 of them in the "queue" which seems to indicate I ran out of memory?
There's a theory that these downloads are sharing memory with the video games they keep throwing at us. We actually never play video games, I'd love to delete all that crap and open up more memory for music if this is true.
The sound is pretty awesome when sitting in the garage compared to normal streaming....but when driving I'm not sure I can hear the difference over all the road noise of the Model 3 (mine is from 2018, so louder).

In conclusion, it's a bit like a lot of software stuff with Tesla.....you get a glimpse of where they're heading, but it doesn't all make total sense. And, there's no one who can explain the reasoning nor the details to you. So then we await one of the "big heads" on the forums to figure this sh_t out for us. :)

I'm still experimenting with my 3 month trial.....will try deleting a bunch of the albums I downloaded, and see if the ones in the queue start loading.

Btw I spent a couple of hours driving with this new UI (running errands, not a long trip), here are my thoughts:

- voice control is a helpful crutch…when it works. however turning on both defogger and defroster set the temp to HI, then when i went to turn it off with "climate control off" it interpreted it as "climb it off" and responded "cannot disable Climate Keep". what??
- struggling to see the usefulness of the blind spot camera view. generally i need to know if someone is there before i start indicating a lane change…so not much value for me to see it there. plus with the lane change indication it's off before i'm even done changing lanes.
- music player cannot be dragged to the smallest size, it ends up collapsing. you have to tap the playlist button to get it there. why?
- the medium size music player doesn't show the current station in the "recents and favorites" view, so you have no way of knowing which station will be selected when you use the scroll wheel to go to next/previous. i'm feeling lucky i guess
- this is minor but the dashed lines for reduced regeneration are always there. you can see them under the power/regen bar. sloppy af.

Reactions: sleepydoc and Benbo
So far I like the update. The blindspot camera innovation is outstanding. It would be best to have a flashing lite on the side view mirror like every other modern car on the road, but since a hardware fix is not feasible, the software fix of showing me the blindspot is pretty clever and effective. I tested it yesterday during highway driving. As cars slowly passed me on the left, I could see them disappear from my rear and side view mirrors while remaining quite visible in the blindspot camera view.

Also in the previous UI, the letters P R N D were in light gray except for the active mode which was in a slightly darker gray. Poor contrast meant not immediately clear whether you were parked, in reverse, in drive, etc. They made the fonts now more distinct. Small, but distinct.

When I switched the blind side cameras on a few nights ago, and hit the turn signals, the upper 1/3 - 1/2 of the screen images were completely washed out by a glare. Is it the same for everyone, or is an adjustment warranted?

When I switched the blind side cameras on a few nights ago, and hit the turn signals, the upper 1/3 - 1/2 of the screen images were completely washed out by a glare. Is it the same for everyone, or is an adjustment warranted?
yeah funny you mentioned that....I saw the same thing a few nights ago.

Actually I find this blind spot camera a bit distracting. I never put my blinker on way ahead of making a lane switch. With this system, I'm about to switch lanes, I put the short 3 blinker option on, I start to go.....and as I'm going the blind spot screen shows up literally in the worst spot on the middle screen, when I should be looking in my mirrors and at cars around me. I thought it was a great idea initially, and maybe I'll get used to it, but at this point I'd prefer to have a red light go on the mirrors like all other cars. Hey, blind spot detection a cool safety item in past twenty years, I drove 25 years without it, I'll live.

I like the new UI still,....it's a start, but it needs more options as others have pointed out.