Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hadn't seen the directions at the bottom of the screen but they're also hidden if there's any other notice at the bottom of the screen. I don't know why they moved them from the top - there's a ton of completely blank space at the top that's totally unused and easier to see.

As for the other items (compass, map view indicator and battery indicator, they are all hidden on the main map screen - you have to tap the screen or expand the directions to see them.

It's like everything else with this update. They didn't remove it, they just moved, obscured or otherwise made it harder to see and access. V11 seems to be the solution to the problem that nobody had.

View attachment 754773View attachment 754774

You can dismiss the cold weather tips and other messages by swiping them down.

Reactions: DDHEverything
Well when it comes to the music app specifically I'd have to agree with you... the current iteration feels a bit half baked. It's possible the old interface for music (with a single icon) would make better use of the v11 launcher than the v11 version.
This is the one UI suggestion for improvement that I have to slightly disagree with. Selecting media sources is one of the few things that I use the touchscreen for while driving. I like having the separate icons for Tidal, TuneIn, radio and streaming. That said, I wouldn't cry if they were merged.

This is the one UI suggestion for improvement that I have to slightly disagree with. Selecting media sources is one of the few things that I use the touchscreen for while driving. I like having the separate icons for Tidal, TuneIn, radio and streaming. That said, I wouldn't cry if they were merged.
Well the problem is (and maybe I'm doing something wrong) that currently there are two ways to switch sources.

1) The source dropdown
2) One of the icons in the launcher

The source dropdown works, but it's now two taps instead of 1. The icons in the launcher on the other hand don't work like source icons, they act more like a music app icon that opens the music player to the source depicted on the icon. This may sound like the same thing, but it isn't. If I use the Spotify icon for example to open the music player the Spotify player will pop up, but then if I tap on the Bluetooth icon in the launcher, instead of switching to the Bluetooth page, it will minimize the music player (as though I just clicked on the Spotify icon again) and I have to tap it again to actually open the music player fully with Bluetooth.

If those icons acted as true source icons where I could have Bluetooth open and then tap Spotify and have it instantly switch it might be more useful, but even then, given the limited real estate in the launcher, it seems wasteful to just have to drag down all of the sources needed for quick access and keep them there. That's why I'm thinking that if the music player opened with it's own row of source icons (as it used to) it would be faster to select a source, and would also conserve space in the app launcher for more useful one-touch functions (like the defroster).

As it is now I've placed the source I use most as the launcher icon (so the music player always starts on that source) and then when I need to switch I use the drop down. This is fine, but not quite as fast as the dedicated source row that used to be there.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Again the point is that every extra tap you add is additional time you have to take your eyes off the road. In the case of the defoggers, they have also moved to a position on the screen that cannot he reached while bracing your hand against the edge of the screen, requiring more precise tapping (which requires you take your eyes off the road even longer). Of course when you look at the screen statically it all looks fine and logical. That seems to be the primary issue with this UI – it was designed for using sitting down at a desk, rather than driving at 70 mph.
I've never had the need to brace my hand on the screen and I quickly zoom back and forth from road to UI in the midst of changing settings if necessary. I also try to avoid changing them when full concentration is required whether the buttons are right on the screen or not. Turning on the defoggers took me about 2 seconds. Now, I realize we're not all the same when it comes to dexterity (not saying this applies to you), but even then, timing is important to minimize any danger regardless of where the buttons are or UI design.

I've never had the need to brace my hand on the screen and I quickly zoom back and forth from road to UI in the midst of changing settings if necessary. I also try to avoid changing them when full concentration is required whether the buttons are right on the screen or not. Turning on the defoggers took me about 2 seconds. Now, I realize we're not all the same when it comes to dexterity (not saying this applies to you), but even then, timing is important to minimize any danger regardless of where the buttons are or UI design.

Which is why it’s important to pay attention in the UI design to the driving elements. Sometimes you need them when you need them.

Is it perfect? No, I think the profile setting should move back to the map screen as it ends up being used pretty often if there are multiple drivers for the car. .....
I'm with you, this update isn't perfect but only needs a few things to make it good for me (I realize everyone has different expectations).

1. Profile definitely should be back at the top of the screen.
2. Cellular connectivity also needs to be back at the top of the screen.
3. If the Bluetooth symbol moved back to the top of the screen then I wouldn't have to take up one of the coveted configurable app spots with it at the bottom.
4. This is a big one for me. It needs to be easier to manually turn on headlights, or have them go on automatically if it's raining. I'd be happy if the headlight icon could be added to the bottom bar. I know you can flash the lights to get the sub menu to pop up, but flashing my lights isn't something I necessarily want to do just to turn them on.

As mentioned previously in this thread if Tesla can make the configurable apps encompass many more of the controls, and also give us more room to add more than 4, most of the gripes will go away. Fingers crossed that this update was a rush job to meet the Christmas deadline and soon we'll get some more configuration capabilities.

If the Bluetooth symbol moved back to the top of the screen then I wouldn't have to take up one of the coveted configurable app spots with it at the bottom.

The V10 Bluetooth icon at the top of the screen showed Bluetooth status and controlled connections. AIUI, the V11 bottom bar Bluetooth "app" icon was formerly the "Phone" streaming audio choice. Confusing.

Similarly, the V11 dashcam "app" icon is the viewer (not usable while driving) rather than dashcam status and control (not available in the V11 bottom bar).

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
As mentioned previously in this thread if Tesla can make the configurable apps encompass many more of the controls, and also give us more room to add more than 4, most of the gripes will go away.
This is what I hope they do as a compromise. I like the UI as it is now and would prefer not to have settings I never use come back to the bottom bar permanently.

After playing around with this for two days, I'm really starting to like the new UI. Actually, pretty surprised by so many negative comments here, to me its very intuitive. I think we're getting a view of the direction they're going in, I don't see it bad at all. It's not the perfect start, but I can see that this could get really good with some future additions. Maybe people are jumping too fast to conclusions, but man there's some high negativity going on here. You certainly can't satisfy everyone. Some points:

I've heard comments about losing the slide cards and people can't find the tire pressures. This is just absurd to me, I hated those slide cards.....I always hit them wrong, something else came up, I can't understand why this is the most important thing to complain about. What car leaves your tire pressures easily accessible with one button hit? So now it's two buttons,.....so you hit the two buttons at a stop light, you shouldn't be checking tire pressures while driving anyhow.

So many people complaining about turning the wipers on.....this is so simple, hit the stalk for one swipe, and the pop up control is right there......

I know Tidal came in before this UI, but I'm really liking this now. Cars don't come with CD players anymore, with Tidal I can get CD quality without the player. So, yes, you have to download at your home over WiFi, how is that different than remembering what CD's to bring into your car? I've been in the garage playing with Tidal, you can easily download any album you like. I have no idea how much memory I'm wiping out, but so far I've downloaded about 12 albums in hifi with no issues, as well as multiple play lists. Plus Tidal is already creating custom mixes for me over my WiFi....it's pretty cool actually. The sound quality is awesome.

People are complaining about the 4 icon limit at the bottom panel.....but this is a great start. Put down there what each user wants. In the future they need to increase it beyond 4, as well as open up other tools to icons, but they've moved in this direction and I like it. It can only get better.

People are complaining about the lack of the garage door opener control. I'm thinking they just haven't looked much....you turn into your driveway, it's right on the bottom, in much larger icons. I often hit the wrong door button in the previous versions....I like this, I'm all thumbs. If the turn signal blind spot camera blocks those icons, the home button is still at the top....big deal?

People have complained about the music controls....I'm loving them actually. If you're using Tidal now, just hit the dropdown menu on the "Tidal" and you get every option, totally intuitive. Love the subwoofer separate control also. Would love them to eventually add Apple Music, but now doing lossless with Tidal, not sure I'd like Apple Music as much, I suspect their lossless music has to download over WiFi too.

People have complained they can't find the superchargers on the navigation map.....it's easy, right on the navigation search bar.....it seems to be much easier to touch that with a larger icon while you're driving. I always had problems touching the screen smaller icon while driving, this is safer. Also, the list of superchargers lists the kW speed right on the navigation bar now, much easier than touching the icon on the map to see the speeds.

People bitching about the appearance of the icons......come on, this is getting silly. At least we have icons, I love that they're easier to see now with color contrasts.

I could go on and on.......but it's true those who are unhappy are most likely to post on social media. Maybe I'm in the silent majority?? Get a grip on reality, people driving other OEM cars can only dream of the stuff everyone is complaining about here.

Okay, I'm ready for a good beating now. :)
Once you have downloaded the album's do you find you still have to have either premium connectivity or your WiFi on for them to play? I was surprised to find this seems to be the case ☹️

What comment?
Someone posted a mock up of an improved UI and he said something like "almost all input is error. Cars should do the right thing automatically."

That implies we're going to get less control in the interface, not more. This from a car that can't even turn on the wipers at the right time.

Oh that one. I did listen to that video and I think it was just a poor choice of words by Musk that may have been misconstrued. He points out that whenever the human had to intervene it meant the AI had done something wrong (took the wrong arc through an intersection in his example). He'd like the AI to be perfect one day, but for now the human intervention (error signal) is essential. So at least in the near term, one could make the point that the more input buttons he gives us the better we can train up his AI. I bet he never actually looked at the mock up unfortunately.

Reactions: Sporty and Boza
I hope you are correct and it was taken out of context. He is not known of being careful with what he says :)

Honestly, I don’t understand why they coupled automation with EV. It may make more sense to pursue those things individually. Tesla, as an EV, does not need that automation to be an awesome car and, technology-wise, is way more advanced than the automation efforts. It could sell just fine (maybe even better) with simple manual controls that are on par with the rest of the market. On the other hand, let them play with IA as a separate project. In fact, those are probably different market segments (with some overlap). The current situation alienates people who want a good EV and the whole automation gets in the way (V11 is case in point). Branching the code and having two separate teams work on those with customer’s ability to switch would probably be beneficial. Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise come to mind.

Last edited: