Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sounds crazy but I am thinking of adding FSD before end of quarter.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I prepay for the flying version?
Robin
58f90d710ba0b8db158b4c4f-750-506.jpg

What Tesla has been doing is extremely difficult, because the opposition forces are enormous. If the goal is achieved, we get cleaner air, which would be great for everyone, for their spouses, for their kids and grandkids.

What is really crazy is that so many people try so hard to destroy Tesla so they can make a few dollars along the way. Don't they have kids? So who is crazy? your call.
Tbh I think it just got crazier when you kinda tried to imply that Tesla would have any meaning for the future....
It`s just another company.

A little too much for me to buy nothing right now, if price doesn't go up. I'd rather wait until FSD features start appearing.

I did get FSD with the X because I would like to use it for road trips and it was cheaper to buy before delivery. And I figured it would be implemented piecemeal. Anyone who thinks FSD will do nothing until fully government approved for Level 4/5 should absolutely wait to buy it. I think we'll have something to show for it in less than a year. Probably just more driver assist stuff, like automatically stopping at stop lights, but the driver still has to monitor it just in case it doesn't stop. And it's fun to play with this stuff.

I'd like to, but.

FSD is AUD$6900 (approx USD$5000) which is half of my new, yet to be delivered, three phase Gateway 2, Powerwall 2, which I've had on order for almost 12 months and am still waiting "patiently" for.

It's also approx 10% of our 2.5 year reserved Model 3, which we won't see in Australia for another 12 months.

Can't be juggling too many Tesla balls at once ;)

Can't see myself doing this for any company but I've been contemplating doing it for Tesla.

Smartest and most responsible money is waiting to see the first FSD features and adding it then.

With upgrade path to AP3 assured, its not so much a question of "IF" but "WHEN" I pull the trigger on my Model X to add FSD.

I am thinking of doing it early just so Tesla can show improved deposits for Q3?

My one car isn't going to do anything but as an aggregate, it might make a difference.

Thoughts? Am I being dumb? People want to join me?

I went with a P3D instead of a reg AWD one simply to maximize Tesla’s Q3. I say do it! You’re going to get it anyway

I'm a man of my word - even to internet strangers. Integrity online is same as integrity offline.

upload_2018-9-30_10-46-29.png

Note: Price is actually $4,000 + tax. Tesla said they would honor the lowest upgrade option ever presented to me which is $4,000 post purchase.

Reactions: vinny84
Like this concept.

Most of us have received constant free upgrades to our standard Autopilot package. It has gotten better and better (except the nag). We have been frequently given steps closer to full self driving.

When I first got my X (Jan 2017) I thought it was a clever package, but it seemed out to kill me if I did not pay it close attention. It wandered all over the lane was only useful on the well marked highway during boring stretches. It did the easy things well enough, but any deviation, poorly marked lane or interchange would turn it into an unguided missile. Best part of it was the cruise control which worked great in stop and go as well as on the open highway

Now it is much better. Locks itself into the center of the lane, give me warnings if I try to switch lanes with another vehicle in my blind spot. It smoothly changes lanes with the touch of the turn signal. It senses vehicles all around me. The lights turn from bright to dim automatically and the wipers speed up when the rain gets heavier.

The small incremental improvements have added up to a dramatic improvement in self driving and is far superior to any other system in commercial production.

Feel now that we are on the cusp of even more self driving features. Will consider it money well spent to be the first people on the planet to experience that, in my own vehicle.

...It has gotten better and better (except the nag).....

Regarding the nag, I routinely drive a 30+ mile stretch of highway and don't see the nag ever. The key is realizing that the input being sought comes from twisting the steering wheel. A recent article suggested ~1NM of torque needs to be sensed by the car's sensors.

I generate that steady "I'm here" input by hanging my left hand by 1 finger hooked over the cross bar on the steering wheel. The hard part is really allowing your forearm and hand weight to rest on the steering wheel. (My arm is long enough, I can rest my elbow on the arm rest on the door).

As a bonus, having your hand in contact with the wheel with some weight / pressure on the wheel - you'll have immediate feedback anytime your car thinks of doing something unexpected and clever :). Like you, I've found that was more of an issue 6 months ago than today.

Gripping the wheel makes little difference, as there are no pressure sensors for assessing your grip on the wheel. It's your resistance to the wheel turning that's being tested, and a steady weight on either side of the wheel will provide something for the autopilot to fight against, and will be used as confirmation that you're present and attentive.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Troy916
I picked up my MX on 09/26 and asked them to add FSD on delivery day. Due to delivery rush they said they will honor $3K price in next month. My OA has confirmation from me. In NJ they charge 7% tax for FSD purchase.
In NJ there is no sales tax if purchased along with the car. Any add on after the purchase would be taxable. Had they let you add it to the purchase you would have saved the tax. I chose to get FSD with my MX (that will be delivered later this month) for 2 reasons. No tax and I will be purchasing it through my business and will be able to write off the entire purchase so if I added it I saved the sales tax and am able to include the 3k in the write off amount. Not adding it in my case would have been foolish but without those incentives I was going to pass until some features were introduced.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden