Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sounds Like the EV Tax Credit Is Staying!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys like reading a wall of text? Here it is (scroll down to conference agreement)! Source: Conference Report to Accompany H.R. 1—Tax Cuts and Jobs Act | House Committee on Rules

Repeal of credit for plug-in electric drive motor vehicles (sec. 1102(c) of the House bill and sec. 30D of the Code)

Present Law

A credit is available for new four-wheeled vehicles (excluding low speed vehicles and vehicles weighing 14,000 pounds or more) propelled by a battery with at least 4 kilowatt-hours of electricity that can be charged from an external source.80 The base credit is $2,500 plus $417 for each kilowatt-hour of additional battery capacity in excess of 4 kilowatt-hours (for a maximum credit of $7,500). Qualified vehicles are subject to a 200,000 vehicle-per- manufacturer limitation. Once the limitation has been reached the credit is phased down over four calendar quarters.

House Bill

The provision repeals the credit for plug-in electric drive motor vehicles.

Effective date.−The provision is effective for vehicles placed in service in taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017.

Senate Amendment

No provision.

Conference Agreement

The conference agreement does not include the House bill provision.
I wonder, if Trump really wants, is there a way for him to get the repeal anyway?

You do realize that the economic health of the company bodes well for you, right? Given the investments in infrastructure and service, etc....see Fisker Karma for more info.

Sure, but in the end if every supercharger station disappeared, I'd be fine. I don't take the huge long road trips everyone pretends they take regularly. Service would admittedly be a problem. But unlike Fisker, there'd be broad interest and someone would buy Tesla and continue with a decent amount of what they're doing now.

But seriously, a few thousand or even a few tens of thousands of people cancelling their reservations doesn't mean much in the long run.

I wonder, if Trump really wants, is there a way for him to get the repeal anyway?
No -- he couldn't on his own. And no sign he wants to repeal.

This current congress had their chance and even when they were looking for things to generate even a little more revenue, they took a pass on repealing this. The next congress is even more likely to protect the credit. Tesla and its customers will enjoy throughout the 200k and phase out periods.

No -- he couldn't on his own. And no sign he wants to repeal.

This current congress had their chance and even when they were looking for things to generate even a little more revenue, they took a pass on repealing this. The next congress is even more likely to protect the credit. Tesla and its customers will enjoy throughout the 200k and phase out periods.
That'd be nice, also for other EV-makers. I'm convinced it's in Tesla's best interest demand for all EV manufacturers continues to grow. It will steadily change people's minds towards accepting electric as a viable alternative. More range at less cost, better performance, cleaner energy.

EV will become the standard in the next decade and the tax credit plays an important role in accelerating this development.

Reactions: T34ME and preilly44
Just saw this in the new Wall Street journal article...they say the credit has been eliminated??? What!!!
CC12BB4B-189F-4755-84FD-35EE3192A01D.jpeg