Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Utah charging infrastructure, seeking charger type advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BryanW, thanks for taking the lead on this. I would prefer anything that makes for easy turn around (restaurant, Starbucks, ect.) as I rarely stay in Cedar City, but frequently go to St George. Let me know when and who to donate to once you/they are ready.

Yea if it is going to be at the Marriott we need to be sure they are ok with non-guests charging as well. I will happily give them my business when staying in Cedar City, but that has been once in the last 3 years for me.

My thought for the businesses was not to donate a charger but to encourage them to purchase and install a charger on their own as a service to their patrons.

I spoke with a receptionist at the Marriott and she agreed that installing a charger would be a good thing for business for them. She was going to speak with her manager and get back to me. I pointed out that the Spring Hill in Grand Junction has an EV charger so there is a Marriott precedent for EV support. I am still waiting to hear back. The Marriott would be a nice place for charging in Cedar as a destination point, but I agree that it's not ideal as a passing through point. There aren't any restaurants in easy walking distance to the Marriott.

The Walgreens would be a good pass through charging location. It is near the Cafe Rio, Applebee's, Panda Express, Wal-Mart, and a few others. The Walgreens in northern Utah all have level 2 j1772 charging stations, but the Walgreens in Cedar does not.

Last year, I called Walgreens and asked if they have an electric vehicle charging station. The nice person I spoke with asked me if this was a car part. I explained that it is actually an electric hookup to charge the vehicle, and that the Walgreens in northern Utah all have them. He then told me he didn't think they had those, but if they were getting them they would come in on a Thursday. I explained that this is not something that comes in on a Thursday, but rather something permanently installed at one of the parking spots in the parking lot. He told me he didn't remember seeing anything like that in the parking lot. I asked if the Cedar Walgreens had plans to get a charger installed in the future, and he kindly told me that if they did they would come in on Thursday and to call back then.

Anyone know or have ideas about who to talk with higher up the management chain at Walgreens to see if we can get the Cedar City Walgreens included in their EV charger program?

Last edited:
Last year, I called Walgreens and asked if they have an electric vehicle charging station. The nice person I spoke with asked me if this was a car part. I explained that it is actually an electric hookup to charge the vehicle, and that the Walgreens in northern Utah all have them. He then told me he did think they had those, but if they were getting them they would come in on a Thursday. I explained that this is not something that comes in on a Thursday, but rather something permanently installed at one of the parking spots in the parking lot. He told me he didn't remember seeing anything like that in the parking lot. I asked if the Cedar Walgreens had plans to get a charger installed in the future, and he kindly told me that if they did they would come in on Thursday and to call back then.
This comes to mind:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm in St George for work this week. I stopped in Cedar City and charged for 1.5 hours on the way down at the KOA. They charged me $10 to charge. I had 20 miles of range when I rolled into Cedar City, charged to 69 miles. From Cedar City to St George was mostly downhill and I only used 40 miles of rated range to go the remaining 61 miles I had to my final destination.

Due to the elevation change I have some concerns on my trip back going from Cedar City to home. I may have to hit the first Walgreens in Utah County to add a few miles before continuing home.

Anyone else done this trip? Was power usage significantly higher on the way back?

Made it home. Usage on the way back wasn't significantly higher. Had high winds there and back though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 126
Agreed. I have about the same number of miles.

Three miles to spare, wow! How many miles did you have when you started the trip home? How fast did you drive and where did the trip home commence?

I didn't quit get to a max charge, but I was close, I believe I showed 261 miles of range when I left Cedar City KOA (I stopped there to charge back up to max after leaving St George). On the way back I drove 75 until hitting Utah County, at that point I slowed down to maybe 73. I also stopped at Texas Roadhouse in Orem to grab dinner. Final destination was basically the point of the mountain.

Final destination was basically the point of the mountain.

Yes. I've been there. :)

So you were driving normally and you still made it. That's cool. Supposedly by the end of this year, there will be three superchargers along that route. That will allow for worry free and quick travel. I'm looking forward to it.

I almost took my Tesla to Flaming Gorge a couple weeks ago. I would have stayed at the KOA and used the NEMA14-50s to charge, but they were sold out of Yurts.

Yes. I've been there. :)

So you were driving normally and you still made it. That's cool. Supposedly by the end of this year, there will be three superchargers along that route. That will allow for worry free and quick travel. I'm looking forward to it.

I almost took my Tesla to Flaming Gorge a couple weeks ago. I would have stayed at the KOA and used the NEMA14-50s to charge, but they were sold out of Yurts.

I know you've been here, that was for everyone else's benefit. :)

I made a trip out to Vernal no issues. I added the RV park I used to plugshare. Guy was super EV friendly and even had 14-50s available if all sites are full. He charged me $5 to fill up.

I know you've been here, that was for everyone else's benefit. :)

I made a trip out to Vernal no issues. I added the RV park I used to plugshare. Guy was super EV friendly and even had 14-50s available if all sites are full. He charged me $5 to fill up.

Thanks for adding the KOA. With Superchargers under construction in Vegas and Green River, I am eyeing Cedar City as an overnight charging stop for a road trip in March. I guess I will have to use the RV park and walk to a hotel.

Unless anyone knows if there is a hotel with charging in Cedar City yet?

Thanks for adding the KOA. With Superchargers under construction in Vegas and Green River, I am eyeing Cedar City as an overnight charging stop for a road trip in March. I guess I will have to use the RV park and walk to a hotel.

Unless anyone knows if there is a hotel with charging in Cedar City yet?

MikeC, to my knowledge there is not a level 2 charging station in Cedar City other than the campgrounds' 14-50s.
I have asked the SpringHill Suites Marriott if they will allow me to use one of their wall outlets and they have said yes, but these are just standard wall outlets. I also asked them to install a level 2 charger and they said they would talk to management...
The Walgreens in Cedar City is NOT one that has a level 2 charger... Would be great if it was, as it is in easy walking distance of the Hampton Inn as well as a number of restaurants.