Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 9th Reuse - Paz & Starlink Test Sats - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya.. tell that to the upper level winds. The same one that almost scrubbed the FH launch.
Suppose this could be a future headache for commercially scheduled BFR/BFS earth hops. Airline operations are usually not hampered by upper level winds. Slowing down and flying at or below an aircraft's maneuvering speed (Va) allows for full deflection of flight control surfaces while still maintaining structural integrity. May not be so easy with rocketry. If anyone can figure out a way to compensate for the issue it'll likely be SpaceX.

Reactions: Grendal
Suppose this could be a future headache for commercially scheduled BFR/BFS earth hops. Airline operations are usually not hampered by upper level winds. Slowing down and flying at or below an aircraft's maneuvering speed (Va) allows for full deflection of flight control surfaces while still maintaining structural integrity. May not be so easy with rocketry. If anyone can figure out a way to compensate for the issue it'll likely be SpaceX.

I suspect they're being overly cautious for now. As they develop more experience they will be able to expand the available flight envelope by better quantifying the effects of adverse conditions, and by making design changes. Plus, a rocket intended for earth hops would be substantially different from an orbital rocket.

Personally, I can't see earth hops ever happening to any major degree. First, the cost would still be prohibitive for all but the very wealthiest. Second, they'd have to knock me unconscious or integrate my helmet with a shop vac to constrain my digestive pyrotechnics. I'm worse than most, but I think a lot of people would have that issue.

• Funny
Reactions: MMC-
Successful launch and mission! And the first ever public image of a Starlink sat. Here’s a screen cap from the livestream. More discussion of the Starlink project here SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

76DBDB74-FD44-4A1A-B57B-AE7412D2339E.png

Last edited: