Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once again considering jumping into SpaceX. What sort of investment timeline are you guys planning on? I assume that if Starlink is spun off in say 3 years, that will mean SpaceX shareholders receive Starlink shares which can then be easily sold at IPO right? My timeline is pretty flexible. I have enough funds right now to technically retire, just not as much as I want. Worst case I could leave the SpaceX component sitting there for 10 years.

I'm not really concerned about risk because the funds for this would come out of my TSLA holdings which means my diversification will increase.

Sorry but there's no such thing as "juping into SpaceX". Read this thread from the beginning (2013) and you'll see that basically the bottom line is: You can't invest in SpaceX.

Last edited:
Oh boy. I hope this person and others have learned a meta lesson here. Plumbers and electricians see this all the time. People with a little bit of knowledge wonder why the trades can be paid $100/hr for something so easy. Turns out that tradecraft to ensure that pipes don't leak or wiring won't catch fire isn't easy nor quick to learn. Not to mention all the other costs of a business like sales, marketing, equipment, etc.

The fact that there are many SPVs that allow you to invest in private companies, yet they all charge significant fees (carries, transaction costs, etc.) should have been a clue that it wouldn't be easy nor cheap to do. If it were easy or cheap, standard price competition would have reduced these SPV fees by now.

I too wanted to invest in SpaceX, and even wired money to a real SPV, which then returned it since they couldn't get the deal closed. I have since come to my senses. Yes, we all think SpaceX is awesome and will do well. But then you have the downsides. Zero liquidity, high transaction costs, must keep money locked up for many years, concentration of risk (if Elon gets hit by a truck, both stock prices take a hit), and even counter party risk (these SPVs aren't exactly built on strong foundations). So instead of chasing what seems like easy money, I decided to work a bit harder and find five other public company growth stocks to invest in. In the end I'll probably be ahead financially, while taking less risk and my money will be liquid.
Wish it was easier but I’m still holding out hope in finding something less complicated and costly.

Talk to me next week and I'll disabuse you of that notion. ;)

I would love to be disabused! And I would love the practical details about how this is done. I've invested in other private ventures where, if you were a US citizen you needed to be an Accredited Investor, but that requirement didn't exist for me as a foreigner.

Is it through Forge?

Last edited:
I would love to be disabused! And I would love the practical details about how this is done. I've invested in other private ventures where, if you were a US citizen you needed to be an Accredited Investor, but that requirement didn't exist for me as a foreigner.

Is it through Forge?
Sharespost (which is merging/has merged with Forge) 250k investment plus some fees. I can't say I love the terms but the opportunity is unique. I'm conservatively planning to get my initial investment back when Starlink is spun off and IPOs. Then I can let the core SpaceX investment ride to Mars. Getting accredited isn't hard if you meet the requirements.

Is it through Forge?

Your original statement was correct. Accredited investors can invest in a Special Purpose Vehicle that then owns SpaceX shares, but you can't buy the shares directly. Given this, you really have to read the SPV docs very carefully, and frankly, should have an experienced financial advisor or lawyer read them.

Reactions: Johan
I got the same email and reply back to both gentlemen. My friends dad use to work at Oppenheimer Chicago so going to check if he knows him.
Good news folks. My friend since high school dad does know Ben and his father. They all work at Oppenheimer Chicago. The fathers known each other for 40 years. If this happens with decent terms I’ll be jumping in.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Sharespost (which is merging/has merged with Forge) 250k investment plus some fees. I can't say I love the terms but the opportunity is unique. I'm conservatively planning to get my initial investment back when Starlink is spun off and IPOs. Then I can let the core SpaceX investment ride to Mars. Getting accredited isn't hard if you meet the requirements.
I am currently also looking into the Sharespost investment opportunity. They told me about the fees, but one thing they have not confirmed with me is whether the 2% annual management fee has a cap or not, e.g., capped in 5-years. I am currently waiting for them to send me the final investment document to review. Do you happen to know if 2% annual management fee has a cap or not? Thanks!

I am currently also looking into the Sharespost investment opportunity. They told me about the fees, but one thing they have not confirmed with me is whether the 2% annual management fee has a cap or not, e.g., capped in 5-years. I am currently waiting for them to send me the final investment document to review. Do you happen to know if 2% annual management fee has a cap or not? Thanks!
Not sure. I'm waiting on the docs myself.

I suppose you'll make money in the end, but I'm not willing to shovel money at barnacles for pretty much nothing.

They aren't barnacles and they aren't doing nothing. That's what the last guy who put together a pool of 150 or so investors found out when he tried to do what Sharespost is doing. Just for example, those investment docs were written by a very expensive lawyer. Every year, tax docs must be put together, etc.

2% per year? and i'm assuming that's taken at market value each year? Damn...any idea on price or is it dependent on when they can get in?

Getting antsy... wanting to invest in SpaceX. :)
Right there with you! I've been wanting to since joining Tesla in 2014 and getting a tour of Hawthorne. I almost did that pool way back, but the terms were shady and I wasn't willing to lose it all. I'm looking forward to doing more investing as an accredited investor.

2% per year? and i'm assuming that's taken at market value each year? Damn...any idea on price or is it dependent on when they can get in?

Yep, and I've heard they also take 20% of the profits when you cash out. (I don't know if that is true or not.)

So at this point I just dumped some money into BPTIX, which is only a little over 3% SpaceX, and a bunch of TSLA. Sure the fee on it is almost 2% as well, though it is hidden in the returns, but I can cash out any portion at any time with no additional fees. (And BPTIX just paid a ~0.8% LT Cap Gain dividend in September followed by another ~3.6% LT Cap Gain dividend at the end of November.)

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec