Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had a flat tire in 20 years. (probably just jinxed myself). On all my ICE cars that had spare tires, I never used them.

That being said, I was kinda worried when I placed my order that the tesla didn't come with a spare. But after 75000km and roadtrips to Montreal and Chicago where I haven't run into any flat tire incidences, I never think about it.

All the flat tire's I've ever had have been nails or punctures that I could fix with a plug kit. I've never even bothered to change to spare on the cars I have as fixing the punctures is usually faster anyways.

I've been driving for 30 years and have well over a million miles.

I've had to use a spare a few times. Last time was about a year ago. If you are the kind of person who is happy just calling for roadside assistance, then it doesn't matter. However, if you are the kind of person who would change out the flat tire, then _most_ of the time it doesn't matter; until the time comes when it does matter; and then it really matters, especially if you are on a trip and in the middle of nowhere at the time. I'm seriously thinking about carrying a spare in the Model S when I get one. There are some old threads that discuss options; I think there was a BMW wheel and tire that fit the car and fit in the frunk (RWD cars only), should you want to carry it in the frunk. I can try to dig that thread up if you want.

Last edited:
I just carry a plug kit and so far I haven't had to use it on trips. Around town I've had six flats, two of which were tire destroying. I'm not happy that there isn't a spare, but I'm also not happy about the space that a spare would take up as there is no special place for it.

I just carry a plug kit and so far I haven't had to use it on trips. Around town I've had six flats, two of which were tire destroying. I'm not happy that there isn't a spare, but I'm also not happy about the space that a spare would take up as there is no special place for it.

OP - what type of tires do you have? The 21's are susceptible to blowouts on potholes

@jerry33 - I'm guessing you have 21's?

I've got >53k miles in my car with one flat (screw). I'd suggest a pump and repair kit which is what I have.

OP - what type of tires do you have? The 21's are susceptible to blowouts on potholes

@jerry33 - I'm guessing you have 21's?

I've got >53k miles in my car with one flat (screw). I'd suggest a pump and repair kit which is what I have.
I have 19" tires. However, I'm in DFW. I've never had so many flats as I have had since moving here. Type of car doesn't matter.

Statistically very few spare tires in new vehicles are ever used. They also weigh a lot, and take up a lot of space. We don't carry spares for almost anything else that could leave you stranded, so why the tire? It made sense decades ago to carry a spare tire, but due to improvements in tire design it does not today. As a result, most manufacturers are starting to sell at least some of their cars without spare tires, and I would be surprised if in the very near future that didn't expand to all new vehicles.

I have had 4 flat tires in my driving career. I have never used a spare tire. In all the cases I have used a plug kit on the side of the road and a portable compressor to refill the tire. It's faster than changing a tire, it's effectively a permanent repair, it costs less, and weighs less. It will not fix 100% of possible flats, but it will fix greater than 90% of them and with flats being so rare anyway it's all you need.

They don't just take up space, but they consume more fuel, decrease stopping distance, decrease handling in avoidance maneuvers due to the extra weight being carried, etc. The industry was right to move away from them even if the good reasons to do so were just excuses to cut costs.

Statistically very few spare tires in new vehicles are ever used. They also weigh a lot, and take up a lot of space. We don't carry spares for almost anything else that could leave you stranded, so why the tire? It made sense decades ago to carry a spare tire, but due to improvements in tire design it does not today. As a result, most manufacturers are starting to sell at least some of their cars without spare tires, and I would be surprised if in the very near future that didn't expand to all new vehicles.
Having lived in Canada for many years, I can safely say that Canada keeps it's roads far cleaner than the U.S. I now feel lucky when we don't have four flats per year (between our two cars). I agree that the unfortunate trend of wide low profile tires makes it much more difficult to carry a spare.

I outfitted our Model S with a universal tire iron and a compact scissor jack. We also have a set of snow tires on wheels. Whenever we go on a long trip or drive somewhere remote, I toss one of the other tires into the car. It comes out when we get home.

Recently did a trip to Utah over the holidays. Was a bit annoying to have this massive 21" wheel and tire floating around in back with our stuff, but was less annoying that potentially getting a flat somewhere out in the sticks and having to wait hours in the cold for a tow truck.

Search the forums for "Spare tire", I think someone's figured out that the BMW X5 compact spare works for the Model S, and fits easily in the frunk of the RWD Model S.

I outfitted our Model S with a universal tire iron and a compact scissor jack. We also have a set of snow tires on wheels. Whenever we go on a long trip or drive somewhere remote, I toss one of the other tires into the car. It comes out when we get home.

Recently did a trip to Utah over the holidays. Was a bit annoying to have this massive 21" wheel and tire floating around in back with our stuff, but was less annoying that potentially getting a flat somewhere out in the sticks and having to wait hours in the cold for a tow truck.

Search the forums for "Spare tire", I think someone's figured out that the BMW X5 compact spare works for the Model S, and fits easily in the frunk of the RWD Model S.

Here is the thread, and here is a link to the Bimmerzone site where you can buy the BMW kit. BMW X3 F25 Spare Tire Kit : Bimmerzone.com

Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution - Page 14

It's actually the BMW X3 kit that you want. The X5 tire is too big in diameter.

I've been on the fence about whether to buy an extra tire but I definitely see the point of keeping as much space available as possible. For those who don't have a spare but use plug kits and such, would you be willing to talk more about what you use, how it has worked for you and where you got them (Amazon link)? Thanks!

I've been on the fence about whether to buy an extra tire but I definitely see the point of keeping as much space available as possible. For those who don't have a spare but use plug kits and such, would you be willing to talk more about what you use, how it has worked for you and where you got them (Amazon link)? Thanks!
I have one i bought at a local auto/hardware store (Canadian Tire), it consists of a few strands of cord that are covered in a tar like substance, and 2 tools, a sort of file or rasp, and an insertion tool. When you puncture a tire you listen for where the air is escaping, or look for where the screw/nail is still in the tire, (the usual situation.) One you've found it, you remove the screw/nail (I also carry a multi tool) and insert the file/rasp in to the hole while turning it in one direction. You then remove the file/rasp while continuing to turn it the same direction. Next you thread one of the cords through the insertion tool, push it straight in to the hole, and pull the tool straight back out. Then use a compressor to top up the tire.
No jacking or wheel removal required. At this point you can go to a tire shop for a professional repair, however I never have, and the patch has always outlasted the tire. I've done 4 patches on my own tires over the years, and 2 on my wife's car. My father showed me how to do this, and has done nearly a dozen on his cars over the years, none of the patches have ever failed. The kits are dirt cheap too.
This isn't the exact kit I have, but it's the same idea:
Amazon.com: Victor 22-5-00106-8 Heavy Duty Tubeless Tire Repair Kit: Automotive
That one is good for 5 patches.
Theoretically if you get a bigger hole you can use more cords, I've never had to use more than one, neither has my father.
Only real downside is that it can't do sidewall damage, but luckily that's pretty rare.

I haven't had a flat tire in 20 years. (probably just jinxed myself). On all my ICE cars that had spare tires, I never used them.

That being said, I was kinda worried when I placed my order that the tesla didn't come with a spare. But after 75000km and roadtrips to Montreal and Chicago where I haven't run into any flat tire incidences, I never think about it.

Before my MS I had three flat tires in about 10 years, so the spare did come in handy quite a bit. I recently had two flat tires from the same pothole on my MS so a spare wouldn't have helped. But I'd love to have a spare tire.

Having lived in Canada for many years, I can safely say that Canada keeps it's roads far cleaner than the U.S. I now feel lucky when we don't have four flats per year (between our two cars). I agree that the unfortunate trend of wide low profile tires makes it much more difficult to carry a spare.

Define "Canada". Western Canadian roads are generally good. Ontario and Atlantic are fair (save Toronto - bad ), but Quebec roads are a disaster. Quebec's bridges are even worse......

Define "Canada". Western Canadian roads are generally good. Ontario and Atlantic are fair (save Toronto - bad ), but Quebec roads are a disaster. Quebec's bridges are even worse......
Almost everywhere west of Thunder Bay. I've only been to Toronto and Montreal a couple of times. Interestingly, I have some Canadian co-workers (from Toronto) and they have mentioned the same thing about the amount of flats they now get.

Since I have a "summer" set on 21s and an "all season" set on 19s, I carry one of the out-of-season tires in the frunk. No "D" so that is easily accomplished in the frunk space.

12650961_1679285259019516_4676362305535071479_n.jpg