Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Production 18" Wheels without Aero Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article does seem to imply ~10% was the aeros and the 18" wheels. Does 1" in wheel size make that big of a difference in efficiency?

It's not the size, as the overall circumference/diameter of the wheel/tire assembly should be maintained within the envelope of the wheel opening. All that is changing is the proportion of tire to wheel....less donut, more "hole". The effect may be from increased mass, as the larger wheel will add more weight than the smaller aspect ratio tire will eliminate. Compare weights of 18 vs 19" wheels in the same model/style from a couple of manufacturers to see. Increased mass is directionally wrong for acceleration, braking, ride, and efficiency to whatever proportionate degree the mass causes. I recall the chassis engineers at the car company where I used to work had a saying, "Designers love big wheels. Engineers don't!"

It's not the size, as the overall circumference/diameter of the wheel/tire assembly should be maintained within the envelope of the wheel opening. All that is changing is the proportion of tire to wheel....less donut, more "hole". The effect may be from increased mass, as the larger wheel will add more weight than the smaller aspect ratio tire will eliminate. Compare weights of 18 vs 19" wheels in the same model/style from a couple of manufacturers to see. Increased mass is directionally wrong for acceleration, braking, ride, and efficiency to whatever proportionate degree the mass causes. I recall the chassis engineers at the car company where I used to work had a saying, "Designers love big wheels. Engineers don't!"
Is there any benefit to a bigger size wheel besides looks?

Allow me to add to the speculation. The Prius crowd has over 10 years of experience with this wheel/tire argument. You can draw your own conclusions.
3-5% - aero wheel covers vs, no wheel covers at highway speed of 60 to 65 mph, depending on driving style.
1-2% - going up by 1" on wheel size ((in the case of a Prius it was 15" to 16")
2-4% - LRR tires vs. non-LRR tires, and all LRR tires are NOT created equal, some are more efficient than others.
So if we extrapolate these results to the Model 3, I would guess that the 18" wheels with aero wheel covers and LRR tires will be about 5% to 10% more efficient at 60-65 mph than the 19" wheels. Driving around town will be less of a difference, MAYBE 1% to 3%.

This presumes all environmental factors are constant. Weather, road condition, speed, payload, etc. can play an even greater role than wheel/tire combination.

No, I can't link to a formally researched study. The conclusions are anecdotal at best by thousands of Prius drivers. YMMV.

Assuming the same treadwidth (245 on either diameter, for example), no. If the tread width is wider, some handling benefit may accrue. But, as tirerack.com will show, you can also somewhat increase tread width on the same diameter size with a small reduction in aspect ratio. Just to make up an example.....OEM 225/45-17 could be essentially equal (less than 3% variance) in overall diameter to 235/40-17 (would have to check and play with sizes to ensure). The 40 shows the sidewall height is a slightly smaller percentage of the now wider width to keep the total the same/similar.

In daily driving, these differences are somewhere between negligible and imperceptible. The track would be another story.

• Informative
Reactions: chronopc
But absolutely nobody ever said caps versus no caps was 10%. The quote was that aeros were 10% better than the 19" wheels. Even that is suspect, but don't go off talking about something else.
This is where my head is. I have not considered the 19" wheels at all, rather I have been debating whether I would be willing to leave the aero covers on.....

The air you breathe will seem cleaner, the water you drink will seem more pure, smaller wheel owners will fall on their knees in awe before you, and you'll have an extra bounce in every step because you will know that you got that bigger wheel hotness parked outside or in the garage ready to go.

I guess my real question is what am I getting for $1,500?
- rougher ride on some road
- increased tire replacement cost
- decreased tire longevity
- increased potential for tire/rim damage from potholes
- likely some (as yet undetermined) decrease in range
- better cornering if you are an aggressive driver
- being part of the current fad for larger rims

I would happily opt for 17" OEM wheels from Tesla if they were available.

- rougher ride on some road
- increased tire replacement cost
- decreased tire longevity
- increased potential for tire/rim damage from potholes
- likely some (as yet undetermined) decrease in range
- better cornering if you are an aggressive driver
- being part of the current fad for larger rims

I would happily opt for 17" OEM wheels from Tesla if they were available.
I don't see helping me getting girls being on the list.

Allow me to add to the speculation. The Prius crowd has over 10 years of experience with this wheel/tire argument. You can draw your own conclusions.
3-5% - aero wheel covers vs, no wheel covers at highway speed of 60 to 65 mph, depending on driving style.
1-2% - going up by 1" on wheel size ((in the case of a Prius it was 15" to 16")
2-4% - LRR tires vs. non-LRR tires, and all LRR tires are NOT created equal, some are more efficient than others.
So if we extrapolate these results to the Model 3, I would guess that the 18" wheels with aero wheel covers and LRR tires will be about 5% to 10% more efficient at 60-65 mph than the 19" wheels. Driving around town will be less of a difference, MAYBE 1% to 3%.

This presumes all environmental factors are constant. Weather, road condition, speed, payload, etc. can play an even greater role than wheel/tire combination.

No, I can't link to a formally researched study. The conclusions are anecdotal at best by thousands of Prius drivers. YMMV.

I think the drop off in range at higher speeds is just as important. For most of my longer distance travels I am going 80-85mph and hopefully that doesn't drop the range that much.