Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Control Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you hovered around the limit, sometimes faster, sometimes slower you do risk getting bonged every few minutes?

P.S. I decided I dislike the idea but do like the word "bonged"

No, I'd set the bong so it goes off when I'm well above my usual speed band. I wouldn't use it to pretend I'm a cruise control. I'd just use it to make sure I don't get carried away.

Two tickets: one for speeding and the other for DUI!

"bong"

Bong_glas.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

Two tickets: one for speeding and the other for DUI!

"bong"

Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

I couldn't read this thread with a straight face. My favorite quote was
Kevin Harney said:
... setting the bong at like 70 mph ...

which I immediately thought was dangerous on multiple levels.

And the following statement
JRodo802 said:
I don't like bongs.

I don't think I have ever heard before.

I think it's a good idea. I have this feature on my BMW now and have it set for 140km/h.... That way if I hear a "BONG" I know to back off as I'm creeping up to the speeds where I'll have my license suspended...

It's not so much a problem in the city as it's very easy to tell if you are doing 90-100km/h in a 50km/h zone.... LOL

Since the Model S is so quiet, there will be no audible feedback on your speed like an ICE car, or even a Roadster. Leaf owners tell me it's all too easy to get going too fast unless you use the cruise control. But of course unless it's adaptive cruise - which isn't available on the Model S - you can't use it in traffic. Sounds like a recipe for speeding tickets.

I think there is a trivial solution: a simple app for the touchscreen. Whenever the car exceeds a certain speed it goes "bong". It should have buttons to turn on different thresholds, which would all be user-programmable. (I'd make them toggles so you can leave them on if you like.) You might set up buttons for freeway, regular highway, and city streets.

So let's say you pull onto an 80 kph highway. Everyone goes a bit faster than that, so you'd have a 95 kph button (or whatever works for you). Now if your car ever exceeds 95 kph, you get a polite "bong" to let you know.

I think this simple feature could save Model S owners a lot of speeding tickets.

Yes, whatever they do (and I hope it ends up being nothing!) PLEASE make it possible for it to be user disabled. I get annoyed by the color change on Lexus speedometers and it would drive me CRAZY if there were a "bong" indicating I had gone over a certain speed.

Really you (and everyone else that isn't a fan of this idea) are making a big deal out of nothing. Doug_G only suggested it, so it wasn't even from Tesla. Secondly, Doug_G constantly keeps mentioning making it optional. I am having a hard time understanding why others in this thread are having such a difficult time with that concept. If it is optional (and off by default) you will never hear/see it. You do not have to set it if you do not want to. Why are people complaining about something that would be very simple to implement, that some people do like, that would not have to be enable and was just an idea by a fellow forum member?

It really seems like some people are jumping on Doug_G (my opinion) for mentioning this suggestion.

-Shark2k

I think it's a good idea and since it's all software based, the driver could choose to use it or not. Pick color change instead of sound or turn the whole thing off. I'd imagine such a system would be off by default anyway.

Really you (and everyone else that isn't a fan of this idea) are making a big deal out of nothing. Doug_G only suggested it, so it wasn't even from Tesla. [...]

It really seems like some people are jumping on Doug_G (my opinion) for mentioning this suggestion.
Hey, it's the internet! Someone comes up with and idea, and everyone jumps in with their opinion. And nobody is jumping on Doug. Some of us are just saying we don't like the idea. I happen to dislike the loud bong that my Roadster sometimes makes. I wish I could turn down the volume, or change the bong to a ding, like the little bell that shops sometimes have on the counter to call the clerk. Or a quiet, seductive female voice saying "The car is on now," or "The trunk is unlatched," or whatever.

Or a quiet, seductive female voice saying "The car is on now," or "The trunk is unlatched," or whatever.

Nissan tried that with the Maxima a few years ago. One of the execs had one and it was was far worse than a bong or ding. Hearing "The key, is in the ignition. The key, is in the ignition. The key, is in the ignition." repeated endlessly makes you want to scream (yes, there's a slight pause after key). By law it can't just say it once and stop, it has to repeat just like the ding.

My Mercedes (12 years ago) had a limiter which could be activated like the cruise control. I could then push the accelerator to the floor, but it would not go faster than the limit. I uses it a lot and liked it. In fact I kept the foot down and chose my speed by changing the setting in the limiter.

In a car that is mostly software I'm sure someone will provide an app to take care of features like this, if enough people like it.