Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit not being recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys.

We've had our Model 3 for about 2 weeks. Love it.
One thing I noticed right away is the recognized speed limit (on the dash) is not correct to reality.

I thought that the car read signs, as well as some mysterious database.
Are you guys seeing the same thing? It means I don't use autopilot on a lot of the 2lane streets around my house.

I do a bug report every time I see a wrong speed limit - not one has been fixed.

I get monthly announcements from the City of L.A. (through Nextdoor) when they change speed limits on streets - they seem to change dozens every month. Tesla need to get a better system to update the speed limits especially since TACC & Autosteer rely on them so heavily.

Reactions: Deslah
I do a bug report every time I see a wrong speed limit - not one has been fixed.

I get monthly announcements from the City of L.A. (through Nextdoor) when they change speed limits on streets - they seem to change dozens every month. Tesla need to get a better system to update the speed limits especially since TACC & Autosteer rely on them so heavily.

Ain’t that the truth, it’s one of the most glaring weaknesses of AP2 relative to AP1 and it has gotten no better since inception almost 3 years ago. For those unaware, AS limits your speed to 5 over up to a certain point and that is a problem at lower speeds when the speed limit is determined incorrectly.

Going forward, they need to make the AP1 (Mobileye’s) solution primary (camera read and subsequent system reaction) with a non-error-ridden db (AP2 in-house kludge) as secondary. Having both would be nice as part of AP3.

Ain’t that the truth, it’s one of the most glaring weaknesses of AP2 relative to AP1 and it has gotten no better since inception almost 3 years ago. For those unaware, AS limits your speed to 5 over up to a certain point and that is a problem at lower speeds when the speed limit is determined incorrectly.

Going forward, they need to make the AP1 (Mobileye’s) solution primary (camera read and subsequent system reaction) with a non-error-ridden db (AP2 in-house kludge) as secondary. Having both would be nice as part of AP3.
Override it with your right scroll wheel until bug report is executed.

Override it with your right scroll wheel until bug report is executed.

If you are on a road AP thinks is not a highway, +5 is the max you can override with Autosteer on. I have a highway with 65mph limits that AP thinks is 45 and not a highway. I can't override the hard 50mph limit with the scroll wheel. I have to use TACC only, which is unfortunate as it is a large portion of my commute.

I have been bug reporting it each software update to no avail so far.

If you are on a road AP thinks is not a highway, +5 is the max you can override with Autosteer on. I have a highway with 65mph limits that AP thinks is 45 and not a highway. I can't override the hard 50mph limit with the scroll wheel. I have to use TACC only, which is unfortunate as it is a large portion of my commute.

We have a new freeway flyover that is above the old frontage road. The frontage road speed limit is 30mph. Lucy doesn’t realize she’s on the flyover and, left to her own devices, will slow to 30 mph from 65 mph. The nav screen shows 30 as the speed limit. I use the scroll wheel to quickly increase the max speed up to 65 mph and she takes off.

If you are on a road AP thinks is not a highway, +5 is the max you can override with Autosteer on. I have a highway with 65mph limits that AP thinks is 45 and not a highway. I can't override the hard 50mph limit with the scroll wheel.
Interesting; that has not been my experience. I thought I could override what the car thinks is the speed limit well over +5mph even on non-highways. I will try to confirm that and report back.

Actually, if AP cannot get a speed limit confirmed with the Tesla mothership, it does not show any speed limit and EAP then limits speed to 45mph. You can go faster than 45mph and still have oversteer, but you must accelerate the car beyond the 45mph it will otherwise maintain -- and having to control the accelerator when not controlling the steering makes no sense.
My Model 3 has never once registered a single speed limit, anywhere, at any time, in the 5.5mos I have had it -- Tesla tells me it has particularly bad maps for the island of Hawaii, where I live.
So, the sooner Tesla adds optical speed limit (and, more generally, regulatory road signage) recognition to its firmware, the better! But perhaps it will have to wait for AP3.0, in mid-2019...

So, the sooner Tesla adds optical speed limit (and, more generally, regulatory road signage) recognition to its firmware, the better!
I recently did an East-West trip across Florida on all rural highways ... not only were the Tesla speed limits almost always 10 mph wrong (due to recent road improvements and speed limit changes) it was also doing that thing where it limits your off-set to 5 pm over the limit... so where I might be wanting to do 68, it would only auto steer to 55. very frustrating!