Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit signs my M3 did NOT see

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it also only sees them when it thinks you are in town/city limits based on GPS. I live off a road that goes out of town for a mile between the interstate and my house. It now sees the speed limit signs and has a speed limit when I get off the interstate (used to not know the speed limit of the road). But, when I cross the intersection and it goes out of the city the display goes blank on the speed limit even though it just passed a speed limit sign before leaving town.

Also, the release notes mention that it is currently only for local roads, so it isn't supposed to be working on freeways/highways.

It has worked on all freeways and highways and the turnpike for me. It doesn't do yellow signs at all on purpose. They are not legal speed limit signs. Why they don't take advisory signs into account, I don't know, but maybe because they adjust the speed automatically based on curves anyway. Often those signs are too slow anyway and are not in the GPS traffic data either.

Is anyone's car not setting the speed limit based on normal, white speed limit signs on local roads? There's two places in my commute where the actual speed limit is very different from what the car thinks it is (Actual: 55, Tesla: 35 in one location, Actual: 65, Tesla: 45 in another). I was excited for this update to fix that, but it hasn't. There is a clearly visible white sign for both of these instances.

Tesla will not raise your speed limit based on the sign vs. GPS, only lower it.

On interstates it appears to only go via its GPS and MAP data, not what the camera sees. If you get on a federal/state highway you will have a very different experience. I have yet to see it "see" a sign over 65 MPH. Many TX highways I have been on in the past week where you are stuck doing 60 in a 75 zone if you use the autosteering since it is only +5 over the speed limit in single lane in each direction roads. As you exit a town the last sign it "sees" is 55 MPH, passing the 70/75 signs do not show up in the display. This was probably put in as a "safety" measure to keep people from messing with the system by changing 35MPH signs to 85 with some spray paint. The problem is that it does not seem to use the GPS/MAP data any more on non interstates/freeways. Of course on multi lane interstates/freeways they do not limit the speed of autosteer under 90MPH.

You can see the speed limit signs that it "sees" go by in the display. You will notice on interstates it does not show the signs or update the speed.

It wouldn't matter if people put up fast signs. Tesla will display white speed limit signs but never raises your speed based on it (not yet at least), it only lowers it.

How about speed limit signs on orange diamond shaped construction signs? I assume those wouldn't work either? It would be great if it did because otherwise the car will assume the usual speed limit still applies.
From the manual...
upload_2020-9-18_9-53-36.png

Funny how it also says not to use it on City Streets, but this is the only place where the speed limit sign detection is currently working. I guess the speed limit sign is really only meant for TAAC then?

It has been stated here a few times, but in the US:

-Yellow background signs are warning/hazard advisory signs
-White background signs are regulatory signs

So not recognizing yellow speed signs is correct behavior as they are advisory and are not a speed limit.

Reactions: Gasaraki
It wouldn't matter if people put up fast signs. Tesla will display white speed limit signs but never raises your speed based on it (not yet at least), it only lowers it.

It would in some cases. I drive on Highways that go through towns, the speed limit drops down and the Tesla slows as the speed limit slows. When the speed limit goes up it will go up as long as it is under the speed you originally had set. So, in TX with 75 MPH speed limits, entering a town you might go down to 30, but if someone were to stick a fake 75 MPH sign up, the Tesla could read it and suddenly jump up to 75.

I noticed it doesn't see the school school speed limit signs, the ones with the flashing lights on top and bottom. It does display the lights as traffic lights though.

I've had it incorrectly pick the wrong speed twice, both times the sign had something hanging in front of it.

Around here:

Tesla recognizes speed signs on highways, and displays the sign on the car display
Tesla will not recognize electronic speed sign, with the exact same format, color, and size
It will also recognize the sign denoting END of previous limit

sign format
220px-Heidelberg_-_Geschwindigkeitssignal_in_der_Speyerer_Stra%C3%9Fe_-_2016-07-24_19-06-36.jpg

end-speed-limit-curvy-road-sign-indicating-germany-88066756.jpg