Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed ticket in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One question I did not see stated by the OP. Was your wife in the HOV lane at the time during the HOV restriction period? That sort of puts a bit of a spin on it if others were actually pushing you along and creating a big gap. And technically in some of the HOV lanes you are not allowed, or is it safe, to leave them except in designated areas. So you could make a claim that moving with the traffic, even while speeding, was the safest course of action at the time.

My wife travels to the Oakland area once a week and is sure to take the TESLA so she can use HOV - I'm sure she was with all the other 74 mph's - in the HOV.

Today, gunshy, she has the cruise set to 70 and is getting honked at and gestures - but what worries me is that she is a danger - an obstacle. She'll get over this - been several years (decades) since her last ticket.

She is guilty of all the things mentioned - we are not contesting - and will comply with all the complaints.

I just wanted to make people aware that they should be careful in the Fremont area and that they may encounter a 'pissed off about Teslas' person on a law enforcement motorcycle.

I cleaned up what he said, but you get the idea.

Breakin' rocks in the hot sun
I fought the law and the law won
I needed money 'cause I had none

I left my baby and it feels so bad
Guess my race is run
She's the best girl that I ever had
I fought the law and the
Robbin' people with a six-gun
I lost my girl and I lost my fun
I left my baby and it feels so bad
I guess my race is run
She's the best girl that I ever had
I fought the law and the
I fought the law and the

We're you actually doing only 9 over? and somehow managed to get a ticket?

Or were you going faster where the cop reduced it on the ticket to only being 9 over?

I've been driving for 25 years or so where I drive pretty consistently at about 10 over. Which in a lot of cars and including the Tesla is a bit under 10, and not once have I ever gotten pulled over for it. Sure I've gotten pulled over for other stuff, but not that.

In Western Washington 10mph over is pretty normal, but in Cali I imagine 10mph over is the minimum.

As a come back to the license plate comment I would have said "and You Cop people need to stop shooting people who don't have the front License plate on". If it wasn't for that shooting I would have front license plates on my Tesla (With the no screw mount), but now days the very thought of putting it on makes me ill. I don't mind a missing front license plate being some additional thing where the cop pulls someone over for something significant (like texting, or racing, etc). But, pulling someone over just for that?? What a waste. Our roads are a mess with disastrous drivers doing way worse.

I got a ticket for doing 58 in a 55 on Highway 17 between Los Gatos and Scotts Valley, CA.

I got a ticket this summer for speeding on the peninsula. I have all three HOV stickers mounted, but no front plate. Officer didn't give me any trouble about it. Told me to slow down and we went on our way.

For a couple days afterwards I paid more a attention because I was wondering about not getting a ticket for the front plate. A HUGE percentage of vehicles here don't have their front plates. WAY higher than what I'm used to from Illinois and Ohio. I'm sure I'll get a fix-it ticket for it eventually, but we'll see.

Funny thing is that I requested the car be delivered with the front plate mounted and it wasn't. I ended up liking it and decided to leave it that way. I had already gone through the trouble to mount the front plate on my other vehicle when I moved to CA. It comes stock from the factory with a giant front intercooler, meaning the OEM plate location is way over on the corner of the bumper pointed to the side of the car. It looks all weird. I should have left that one off too.

Yeah, I'd say a good 50% or more of the Tesla's I see don't have a front plate. But we have a clearly visible rear plate that is easy for toll cameras and officers to see so I don't think the CHP cares about enforcing it. Well, except for this one guy.

I am a retired trial court judge and previously an experienced trial attorney. There is simply no point in giving a police officer an excuse to pull you over. Burned-out lightbulbs, illegal tints and no front plate allow an officer to pull you over and under many circumstances convince you to search your vehicle. Traffic officers have told me many times that they realize nearly everyone is speeding. They look for cars that change lanes and for those with illegal tint and other equipment violations in deciding which speeder to pull over. It makes sense to simply Not put a target on your back. Stealth pays

And politeness always pays off

Words of Wisdom here ... don't be a target.

It hurt, but I mounted a front plate on my MS shortly after I received real plates. I own HOV stickers but have them in the glovebox because I don't use HOV lanes enough to make it worth my while to mount them. By this I mean that I only use the HOV lanes when I have enough passengers in the car. Yes, there are times when it kills me, but I don't have the stickers mounted so I figure that's the rule. One day I may get pissed off enough to pull over on the shoulder and just slap them on. I doubt it, though.

This is the plate I had on my Mini Cooper. It is not required in NC

Read backwards

IMG_3542.jpg

Probably not unusual, but the comment from the officer was "The problem with you Tesla people is you need to put on the front license plates, quit tinting the windows, and show all your HOV stickers."

So, no window tint whatsoever can be applied and still be considered legal? Asking because I just got a new MS in Texas, but will be headed to CA early-mid next year. Should I save myself the tint cost and suffer through potentially a couple months of baking in Texas sun?

No window tinting allowed on the side windows of the front seats. Most people have been doing a dark tint on the rear seat side windows and a very light tint on the front seat side windows (to block at least some UV). And, although still illegal, in the spirit of the ruling, front passengers are visible to the officers. But, occasionally, an officer can 'add' it to a ticket for other infractions - and that's the luck of the draw.

So, point of my post was - speeding (9mph):yes - but other things, although nitpicking because of an 'agenda', are pretty much ignored. Stand on a corner to count number of cars with light tint and no front license plate and you will reach 1000 in no time. And the speeding - he could have pulled ANY car over at that moment any cited the same thing.

Probably not unusual, but the comment from the officer was "The problem with you Tesla people is you need to put on the front license plates, quit tinting the windows, and show all your HOV stickers." Interesting attitude from a local cop where the Tesla tax is probably substantial due to the factory. "You Tesla People"

74 in a 65 zone with all the other traffic doing the same.

I don't speed. But, the officer is exactly right on all of the other points. My windows are tinted. My front nose cone is clean. And I only have the small HOV sticker in the most aesthetically pleasing spot. He's just correct.

- K