Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify - Tesla Account or Premium Account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Just after a definitive answer on this please.

I’m busy trying out Tidal in my M3P, tried some downloaded content with HiFi and it’s ok I guess, defo a difference in quality notes between that and Spotify.

There’s rumblings that the Spotify Tesla Account is a dumbed down version of Spotify and the bitrates are dreadful, not sure if that’s true, nor can I find any solid info on the net.

Was informed that if I signed into Spotify in the car, using my own Spotify Premium, then I would receive an upgraded and enhanced bitrate and better quality of sound, again not sure if this is true?

Thanks.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "Spotify Tesla account"? You can only use Spotify if you sign in with a Premium account. I think you're confusing the Slacker service (which Tesla uses for its "Streaming" music app). You can use that without needing to log in, but if you have a Slacker account you have the option of logging in.

I don't know the bitrate for Slacker. But Spotify in the Tesla is limited to 96kbps bitrate, not great quality. It's perfectly usable and it can be hard to notice the difference when driving due to road noise, but you'll notice it if you compare it to Bluetooth.

I recently switched after using the Tesla free Spotify account for months to a Spotify Premium account (because I got it free with Crypto.com). Not really noticed any difference in audio quality.

I realise now how heavily limited the Spotify app is with the free Tesla account though vs a Premium account.

I recently switched after using the Tesla free Spotify account for months to a Spotify Premium account (because I got it free with Crypto.com). Not really noticed any difference in audio quality.

I realise now how heavily limited the Spotify app is with the free Tesla account though vs a Premium account.
What difference is there between free and premium in the car?

So if you pay for premium connectivity, you get access to Spotify via the car. The ‘included’ account lets you browse, search and play tracks from the car, I believe also create playlists etc. What you can’t do is use this account anywhere else, nor can you sync tracks from your phone etc - it’s all tied specifically to the car.

Premium allows you to use Spotify on whatever devices you want, and when you sign into the car with that account you get access to your saved playlists, podcasts, etc.

Personally I’m using Spotify Premium mainly from a convenience perspective as I really like to have playlists synced. If I could use Apple Music (with full control of it via the car, and not just streamed via Bluetooth) I’d be using that instead.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I've got Spotify premium but actually use the in-built account in the car. This way when my kids want to hear frozen for the 10000 time at home, my music carries on fine :). I've read that you can create playlists at home (on free or premium) and then set them to public. Once this has updated, you can find these in the car and favourite them.

Reactions: melduk and Magstauk
I've got Spotify premium but actually use the in-built account in the car. This way when my kids want to hear frozen for the 10000 time at home, my music carries on fine :). I've read that you can create playlists at home (on free or premium) and then set them to public. Once this has updated, you can find these in the car and favourite them.
Yep, i've done just that. Made a playlist and have it playing in my car on my Tesla Spotify account.

Spot on - same here. Tidal works well though.

in BMW Spotify app you could not use Free account - you needed premium.

With free account you cannot skip any number of tracks, you hear adds, etc. You can skip songs from playlist with premium and only few songs an hour with free. and so on.
Best deal, imho, is family plan for Spotify. give your kids separate account :D

in BMW Spotify app you could not use Free account - you needed premium.

With free account you cannot skip any number of tracks, you hear adds, etc. You can skip songs from playlist with premium and only few songs an hour with free. and so on.
Best deal, imho, is family plan for Spotify. give your kids separate account :D
I'm sure that the "free" account in the Tesla is actually a normal account. You just can't create playlists due to the interface. There are no adds etc...
Some have said that the quality is restricted but it sounds decent enough to me.

I’ve noticed that you don’t get anywhere near the amount of podcasts through the free Tesla Spotify account as you do through my own personal premium account. I don’t have unlimited data on my phone (and not a massive data allowance) so I use the Tesla Spotify account, but searching for “Serial” for example comes back with no results for that podcast, even though it’s available through my own Spotify account.

I have Spotify premium but am going to keep paying £10pm for the better sound on Tidal.
Sign up for TIDAL via an Argentinian IP address (VPN) and you'll be paying 70p a month instead. Everything else works exactly the same way, with the only downside is occasionally getting Spanish language notifications (which I've turned off anyway).

I too have Spotify Premium and TIDAL and switched to the latter after discovering how much better it sounded in the car. It's night and day when played over hotspot ("HiFi" quality).

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Hello all - just placed an order for a Model Y which should arrive in about 8-10 weeks.

Have currently got the Jaguar iPace which I have had for nearly 3 years which has a good online Spotify functionality (far better than the CarPlay version you get via the iPhone plugged in) and means you don't need to remember to plug the phone in (or even have it with you).

The Jaguar OS is decent, but definitely a bit slow and laggy compared to what I have seen in the Tesla so looking forward to the increased ease of use.

The issue of having the account in the car and in the house and not being able to have both going is a slight pain - I have recently upgraded to Spotify family and haven't tried it yet, but considering setting up a user purely for the car.

Anyone tried that?

Sign up for TIDAL via an Argentinian IP address (VPN) and you'll be paying 70p a month instead. Everything else works exactly the same way, with the only downside is occasionally getting Spanish language notifications (which I've turned off anyway).

I too have Spotify Premium and TIDAL and switched to the latter after discovering how much better it sounded in the car. It's night and day when played over hotspot ("HiFi" quality).
alright!
tidal via argentina then!

Already got Netflix signed via Turkish VPN and Youtube Premium via Indian :D

How can I use Tidal in a similar set up to yours?